Inspired: Large Scale Abstract Art

January 27, 2011

A few years ago, I took an art class where I was required to create several paintings, the final one being an abstract work.  I never thought I would like painting abstract art because of the fact it’s not about a pictoral representation, rather the use of color, brushstrokes and emotion.

Lately, I’ve imagined a large scale piece over our living room sofa, so I’ve been collecting inspirational images to remind myself how fabulous a large scale piece of abstract art looks over a mantel, couch, or console.

ballard designs abstract and table Ballard Designs

decorpad abstractDecorpad

pb abstractPottery Barn

absract via houzzHouzz

first light ballard designsHouzz

decorpad abstract on wallDecorpad

digs by katie.com abstractDigsbyKatie

massucco warner miller abstractMassucco Warner Miller

abstract on wall via decorpadDecorpad

abstract elements of styleElements of Style

abstract art via madebygirlvia Made by Girl

abstract martha stewart radiator grills on ikea cabinetsMartha Stewart

celerie kemble 2Celerie Kemble

massucco warner miller abstract and shelvingMassucco Warner Miller

abstract waterleaf interiorsWaterleaf Interiors

abstract via design spongeDesign*Sponge

white console via decor8Decor8

sarah richardson living roomSarah Richardson

pale abstract decorpad Decorpad

I’m really inspired by a few of these abstracts available from Grandinroad.  grandinroad abstracts

transition grandinroad

grandinroad abstracts 2

And a few more inspiring works available at Ballard . . .

cool mist ballard

the space between ballard

seasons giclee ballard

blue reflections art ballard

So smitten am I by all of this large scale abstract art that I went and bought a large canvas last weekend, and did a brave thing ~ I started my own painting!

starting my own

It’s only halfway done, but it’s coming along better than I expected !

What’s your opinion of abstract art?  Love it? Hate it?  Ever painted one yourself?

110 Responses to “Inspired: Large Scale Abstract Art”

1. Pam McCormick says:

Oh my goodness..it’s paint, just give it a try.I years ago bought a canvas at JoAnn’s and used colors that I like soft and subdued tones for the bathroom.Everyone always asks who it is by to which I reply Me! If it comes out badly just paint over or apply something like shells/pebbles or any textured media that you have or collect.Heck if really bad toss it.I am a nurse no training in painting but it’s not brain surgery.Go for it!

2. I really like the nature looking ones!

3. Courtney says:

It depends on the piece, but I love what you’re doing.

4. Linda says:

I have been wanting to do this too! I have a color palette, but not sure where to start. What kind of paint are you using? Any tips on how you got to this point in your painting. I like how it looks now?

Thanks.
    Your house is amazing!

5. Lisa Portzer says:

Hi, Centsational Girl! I love your topic! I too enjoy collecting “inspiration”. I have boxes and boxes of photos I’ve clipped from magazines and often use them to give me ideas for cool color palettes to paint my abstract art with. I like the way you said that painting abstract art is “use of color, brushstrokes and emotion”. As an abstract artist, I sometimes feel like I am harnessing not only my own emotion, but the emotions of the whole world and I paint with them all. Painting abstracts is incredibly healing for me and truly if you have a great palette and composition, almost anyone can produce a beautiful piece of art. I’d love to see how your painting came out! Thanks for the post. I like our blog! :)

6. Lisa Portzer says:

I mean I like YOUR blog! LOL! Very informative and fun. Can’t wait to read more of your posts. :)

7. Robyn Osby says:

I recently have started painting as well! I primed the canvas with gesso and imbedded tissue paper into the gesso. I also made impressions into the gesso using items with texture (ribbon with holes, combs, etc). The painting is still progress (using acrylics), but it’s looking great so far!

In a prior project, I used molding paste to create texture on the canvas. I combed lines through the paste. Then, I painted stripes in various colors using acrylics. It looks great! And you can’t resist touching the textured surface.

8. Lucy says:

Hi Kate, did you ever post about the finished painting? Was it a success? I just found this post and I’m looking for inspiration for my own dining room – I’d love to see your finished painting!

xx

Hi Lucy, I never finished that painting no, it wouldn’t work for me, but I’m not giving up!

10. [...] loved this post about Abstract Art from Kate at  Centsational Girl. (she talks about making a piece of large scale art herself and the stuff that’s available [...]