Winter Willow Wreath

November 20, 2010

Hiya folks!  I’m in the mood for something more whimsical, less traditional this year for the front door Christmas wreath!

cg winter wreath blue ornaments

Since we’re not hosting Thanksgiving, the fall magnolia wreath came down (held up all season!) and the wintery white wreath is up!  This one I made with three kinds of branches, faux snow, some springs and small ornaments found at my local craft store.  I’m mixin’ up the real and the fake, that’s how I roll.

cg winter wreath

Here’s the quick play by play.  I started with a $3 dollar grapevine wreath.  To the base, I added some borrowed branches from mother nature that I clipped from a shrub.

natural branches

I found some fun silver curly willow at the craft store, and clipped it to fit inside the other branches.  Completely loving those curls.

curly willow

Next came a bit of flocking or faux snow, this stuff is fun, but best to spray outdoors on a tarp.  I’m thinking our tree may get a dose of it for the first time this year.  You can find it at craft stores, I found mine at Michaels for $3 dollars a can.  It goes pretty far too . . I have about 2/3 of a can left, yay!!

flocking

Now is a good time to secure all your branches together with floral wire (should have done it before I sprayed the faux snow, not after!!!)

floral wire

I added a few wintery springs found at the local craft store . . .

faux springs

Then some glittered pinecones and blue ornaments for a pop of color !

cg branches and pinecones

cg wreath blue pinecone

There’s my whimsical wintery white wreath . . .

cg front door wreath door open

Total cost = $20 dollars !

cg winter branch wreath

If you want to know how I hang my wreath, I use a trusty 3M hook ~ you can see it up close if you check out last year’s welcome wreath.

swirl snip

The Week of Giveaways starts tomorrow afternoon . .

So many goodies up for grabs ~ see ya then !

94 Responses to “Winter Willow Wreath”

1. marsha says:

love, love it, i will have to give it a try, i love the blue oraments on it. thanks for sharing.

2. Marlee says:

Beautiful…that is one of the prettiest wreaths I have ever seen. Love the pop of the blue against the white.

3. Catherine says:

Love the added branches, pop of blue, and light dusting of snow on the pinecones. It’s so fun to see a twist on the typical grapevine wreath!

4. LacyHolly says:

That’s gorgeous! I wish we had a nice front door to hang a wreath on…so jealous. Great job!!!

5. So fantastic and such a change from last year! I like to change things up too- we’re doing red, silver, white and blue this year for our tree instead of years past red, green and gold.

6. Abby says:

Stunning! I love the colors. thanks so much for sharing how you created it.

7. Angie says:

Gorgeous!! You really need your own tv show!! Angie xo

8. GREAT idea and absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I am SO making one! Thank you for the inspiration!

9. Shelia says:

Oh, how pretty! I love your wreath and how smart you are to add the wriggly branches! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

10. Maxine says:

I love it!!!

11. So pretty! I love the curly branches mixed in. And the white and blue is really beautiful.

12. Shaunna says:

Gorgeous. Really lovely!! I’m loving white/silver this year too. Matter of fact, I’m working right now on the white one of three different ways to style my mantel this year. One of the ornaments I’m using keeps falling down. Good times. :-) shaunna

13. Oh my gosh! Just beautiful! You give such inspiration:) thank you!

14. terry says:

beautiful! you’ve inspired me to create my own!

15. SJN says:

So very pretty and just the right touch of blue. It’s mystical all silvery and snowy… I can feel the icy cold!

16. Chrissy says:

I’m really loving this! So simple and it looks sooo EXPENSIVE…but not!

17. Sandra says:

Oh my! I love it! I love the combinations of white with the blue! It is absolutely stunning!
    Sandra

18. Really pretty, really cool colors — a nice change. I’m planning a red one, coming to my blog soon!

19. Safetygirl7226 says:

Awesome. I love the silver and blue together. Keep Up The Great Work!!!!!!!!!

20. Jenn @ P&C says:

OOOOh purdy! I love the blue and all the swirly-ness!!! So creative! =)

xoXOxo
    Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons

21. I love this idea! It looks gorgeous on your front door too!

22. Lovely!!! Just like everything you do :-) Thanks for sharing your talent!

23. carol turner says:

OMG this is breathtaking!! I love it!

Carol

24. Barbie Jones says:

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!! And I spent 3 hours in Michaels today grabbing ornaments paints and other nicknacks to start our christmas baskets, looked at the snow spray but passed it up!!!!! Luckilly I’ll be back tommorrow so I’ll grab a wreath to make one for my mommy! :)

25. Shirley L says:

The wreath is beautiful! But I have to be honest I can’t keep my eyes of that gorgeous staircase. ;)

26. This is absolutely beautiful! Stunning!

27. Holly says:

Love it!

28. Lynsey says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this!! Thanks for sharing. I wish I was creative enough to make it.

29. PaperDollMN says:

I am not usually into holiday wreaths, but this is gorgeous! With the touches of blue and coat of white spray paint, it’s very true to your wonderful style, too :)

30. Beautiful! I am a sucker for traditional red and green (with that new fangled bright green thrown in), but I. love. this. Great job, you crafty queen. Flocking a wreath? Whodathunkit.

31. Fake snow looks so modern. Who knew?! I am going to have to seriously think about my Christmas mantle. All of that white would look so good w/ the navy wall. . .Hmmmm.

32. tracy says:

This is beautiful. So magical.

33. Just beautiful!! Love it! Can’t wait to see the rest of your Christmas ideas. :)

34. Allison says:

Very pretty, Kate! I love the dusting of snow with the pop of pretty blue and touch of whimsy! The curly willlow is fun. It really looks nice on your front door.

35. Sommer says:

Amazing. I am not a fan of the holiday blue but this wreath has just the right amount agains the snowy whiteness. I’m sold! Oh and I already picked up a can of snow a few days ago! And aside from the beautiful wreath I’m still trying to get my breath back from your stairs. I just love love love them! Have I mentioned how badly I can’t wait to be a homeowner again?! Soon…. soon….

36. Kate, she’s purty!!! Make me one. ; )

37. Michaela says:

Beautiful! Loving the wintery look. The blue really pops off the white! Now for some snow for California (:

38. Julie says:

What a fabulous idea!! Your wreath looks amazing!

39. Absolutely gorgeous! Curly willow! I’ll have to be on the lookout… I’ve never seen a prettier wreath than this one. :)

Donna

40. Julie M. says:

What a lovely wreath!

: )

Julie M.

41. Tina says:

Yay! I was looking for a wreath just like this but they are all so expensive!!! I’m so excited to see this DIY version! Thanks for posting!

42. Nancy N. says:

So beautiful! I was looking for something just like this! Where did you find a grapevine wreath??

43. Candace says:

Oh, I really love this! I love the addition of the branches and I might have to pick up some flocking snow too. Great job again!

44. Diane says:

love, love, love it!!!

45. I am in love! Sooo pretty!

46. Bobbinoggin says:

Where will last year’s wreath go?

Both are very nice!

47. AmericKim says:

It’s beautiful! I am thinking of going with a silver and blue (white too of course) this year. I haven’t unpacked the Christmas boxes yet tho (I am hosting Thanksgiving) so we’ll see how my plan goes. Love the look!

48. Tina says:

It´s absolutely gorgeous and the blue is just the right touch! I wish I could do something like that, sadly I think my 10 thumbs may give me trouble… :-)

49. Colleen says:

…Stunning….Just makes your front door….It look alive!

50. Tiffini says:

I love less traditional…and I love your wreath! Just lovely…good color choices too:)

51. Amy K says:

Oh my, that is absolutely gorgeous!

52. Kristi P says:

Really wonderful and uncomplicated! Might just be the way to add the sparkle of snow to our home this year….

53. Amy says:

Gorgeous! You make it look easy. And the new stairs look fabulous in the background!

54. La says:

I am really drawn to the blue and white contrast. This wreath can see you through the entire winter season. Gorgeous! La

55. Stephanie says:

love love love it! it came out gorgeous!!

56. Nancy says:

I love it! Somehow I will incorporate it in my Christmas weath this year. Thanks so much for posting this.

57. Love it! It’s wonderful.

58. Just beautiful Kate! I too love the faux snow!! Be careful using it indoors on your regular tree, it can be flameable. I too would love a tree covered in it, but have been a bit leary after reading the can. We used it on wreaths, twigs and pincecones last year.

59. This is stunning. My outdoor wreath is getting redone this year – no question! You are something!!

60. Peggy says:

how lovely! I think I have a Thanksgiving weekend project now!

61. Oh, it looks so beautiful! Excellent job Kate!

62. I love it! It reminds me of my “winter” wreath that I put up after Christmas, minus the ornaments.

63. So beautiful! What was your thought behind using faux snow instead of white spray paint??

64. Anita says:

This wreath looks beautiful! I love the pops of blue with the frosted look! :)

Hi Kate! I used the snow because it falls ‘like snow’ on the branches and up close isn’t shiny like paint, more powdery. But white spray paint on branches is equally as glam, in fact, I’ll be using spray paint on other branches this season.
    Thanks!!

66. TracyMB says:

Wow…. simply gorgeous. Now I know how I will solve my perfect wreath search! Thank you!

67. ohbrooke says:

Beautiful! I’ve never done wreaths much because of the storage issue… do you have any tricks? You must have many wreaths… do you store them all together? Do they need a little fine tuning each year when you bring them out?

68. Centsational Girl says:

Hello Brooke! Yes, I have several wreaths ~ I use a canvas wreath storage holder I found a few years ago in an ‘after Christmas’ sale. It’s the perfect shape, and like a suitcase, so I just store them all in the holder in the closet! Places like Home Depot, Kmart, Walmart and Target have them.

69. Nanci says:

Love it and am going to do something similar this year. I’m sick of my silly old wreath and it’s sick of me! I also love the 3M hook….I am getting one as I have a door similar to yours. Yippee!!

70. Nanci says:

Oops…forgot to ask how you got your pine cones blue and glittery?

71. Chrissy says:

Kate, not to get off subject, but YOUR STAIRCASE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! We are in the looong process of rebuilding our farmhouse’s delipadated stairs and I have been invisioning something like yours! I was concerned about staining the treads so dark (beautiful!) until we are able to refinish our lighter oak floors, but now I know that we should go for it! Fabulous, girl!

72. Gorgeous wreath!! I am on a wreath-mission this year! Have posted a few times myself about “Project Perfect Wreath” :) This is just lovely. Will bookmark for next year!

I am new to the blogging world – am enjoying your blog!

Susan.

73. So pretty, Kate. You’re a wonder with wreaths. :)

74. judy says:

stunning!

75. Daisy says:

I love the blue fabric in those pillows on the couch “3. Hanging out with my munchkins.” Can you share where to buy those fabrics?

Also — Can you tell me if you had to paint a primer on your recent kitchen FREE chandelier before you painted it “Shell white?” I have one sitting in the garage forever, and i really need to get some paint on it. But is priming absolutely necessary on brass?

Thank you so much for the thoughts and inspirations!

76. Katie Davis says:

Super cute, I need to come up with a different wreathe, but I am going to wait until next week to do so. We are hosting Thanksgiving and Holiday decorating will come next after that!

77. mrsdevore says:

LOVE this! Simply stunning!

78. Shreya says:

That’s beautiful!
    Its like something out of a fairytale :o)

79. L.Duncan says:

Ummm…..Thank You!!! I will certainly be making one of these this year! Love the snow idea. My mom sprayed this in the corners of our windows for the holidays. We don’t get much snow here!

80. Vonda says:

That is spectacular!! I definitely have to try my hand at this – I’ve used the same wreath for a several years now. Maybe it’s time to give it rest!

81. Alyssa says:

I’m all about the blue and white this year, and I love this. Very pretty and frosty looking!

82. Oona says:

It really is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

83. Aja says:

I LOVE it!! Gorgeous!

84. Saundra says:

GORGEOUS!! I love the white snowy look. Maybe because it’s been snowing here most of the day! Gives me a different idea for my front door this year.

85. Roberta says:

Just love this wreath…so refreshing ;) Especially since it’s not all covered with ribbon…I think I’m over the ribbon as the ultimate holiday trim…lol

86. alycia says:

wow what a gorgeous wreath! i’ve been wanting to make a holiday wreath for a while now but never got around to it. this is inspiring me to start one!

87. Ray* says:

Oh how splendid, Kate! I love the blue and silver. I just finished my very own – I went for pinks, purples and golds. Check it out – you’ll likey!

88. Beth@A2Z says:

Gorgeous Kate! And I’m honored to have you link up to my spontaneous little party :)!

89. That is a spectacular wreath!!

90. Ellie says:

Stunning wreath! Love your style.

91. Kathy T says:

Your wreath is beautiful

92. [...] first and last thing anyone ever sees when coming to our place is the winter willow wreath on the door I made last [...]

93. Just refreshing! I decorated in turquoise and white this year.