Tasty Lemon Tart

September 6, 2010

Hi all, happy Labor Day!  Hope you all are enjoying your extra day off here in the States.  I love all things citrus, so I baked a delicious lemon tart over the weekend for my honey.  Here’s the quick and easy recipe!

lemon tart slice with raspberries

Shortbread Crust

1.5 cups flour

1/2 cup confectioners sugar

pinch of salt (1/8 tsp)

1/2 cup cold unsalted butter

1 cup fresh lemon juice (from 6 to 7 large lemons)*

1 tsp lemon zest

1/2 cup sugar

4 large eggs, beaten

1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

*use 1 cup lemon juice for zesty flavor, use 3/4 cup for milder lemon flavor

For shortbread crust, combine flour, confectioners sugar and salt in food processor.  Pulse to mix.  Slowly add butter (cut into 5 to 6 chunks) 1 piece at a time.  Remove from food processor when it forms a ball.

shortbread crust dough

Spray tart pan with a removable bottom with cooking spray.  Press dough into tart pan.  Chill at least one hour.   When crust is chilled, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Cover chilled dough with parchment paper and line with pie weights (or dried beans) to prevent bottom of crust from rising.  Bake 13 to 15 minutes until edges are golden brown.

pie crust with pie weights

Remove from oven.  If your edges are brown but the bottom is still undone, cover edges with foil and bake 2-3 more minutes.  Allow to cool.

For filling, squeeze lemons for fresh lemon juice.

squeeze lemon juice

Combine juice, lemon zest, sugar and beaten eggs in saucepan.  Over medium low heat slowly whisk in butter, 1 piece at a time.  Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring constantly with whisk until mixture thickens and forms a curd (like pudding).   Do not allow to boil.  Pour into cooled tart shell.

whisk and pour

Allow your lemon tart to cool 45 minutes.

Garnish with fresh lemon peel, more confectioners sugar, or raspberries.

So easy, and so tasty!

simple lemon tart

lemon tart slice with raspberries

Enjoy the rest of your day, and be sure to eat something delicious ~ it’s good for you.

22 Responses to “Tasty Lemon Tart”

1. Wow, beautiful job photographing this! And what beautiful plates & tableware. Inspiring!

Warmly, Michelle

2. Chris says:

Oh MY! This looks delicious! My husband LOVES lemon desserts–looks like I’ll have to make this!

3. Looks delicious! And that table setting is beautiful!!

4. YUM! I am a lemon fanatic (particularly when it comes to lemon desserts) so consider this BOOKMARKED. Thanks for sharing!

5. Bobbinoggin says:

oh boy. That looks like it would rightly hit the spot! And, me thinks it looks even tastier on your lovely dishes! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

6. Melinda says:

I love anything made with lemon, so I am anxious to try your recipe. It looks delicious and I’m sure that crust is good. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

7. That looks mouth-watering….yum!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Kate. :)

8. YUM! I love lemon flavored treats.

9. Angie Pitre says:

It looks delish! Love the dishes and the napkin as well! Perfectly styled and perfectly yummy!
    Angie xo

10. sally says:

Looks delicious! I am a fan of all things citrus too!

11. The lemon tart looks delishious and like something I would try and make. This is my first time to your site, Katie Walters told me about it…..Katie and I went to high school together and I’m so glad she told me about you:) Have a great evening!

12. AmericKim says:

Yummmm…Can’t wait to try this recipie. Looks beautiful too!

13. I can practically taste the tartness! Looks delish!

14. The tart looks great, but I’m really digging the cake stand and pie plate! And I think I spy my outdoor RH pillow:)

15. Allison says:

Looks delicious! I have a lemon tree loaded with lemons right now this will be the perfect dessert. I love the napkins with the little blue ruffled edge. Beautiful photos!

16. Yum. I’ve been looking for a good lemon tart recipe. Thanks.

17. RosieB says:

Thanks for this, its a great recipe! I’ve just linked to this from one of my forums. :)

18. Alyssa says:

Sounds scrumptious!

19. Sue says:

This would be so good…and fairly simple to make. Yum.

20. Alice A says:

Ahhh Kate… looks fabulous…. and I did make my honey something sweet…. Rhoda’s(Southern Hospitality) recently posted peach cobbler…. it was yummy too. Ron sure appreciates that I follow you both! Hope yours was a very sweet and happy celebration for #11 anniversary!

21. Barbara says:

Can you tell me the type & exact amount of flour you used. The recipe said 1.5 cups of flour. The dessert looks delicious, can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.