Magnolia Tree Fall Wreath

September 2, 2010

Fall is one of those seasons that just happens for everyone at a certain moment.  For me, last year, it was just something in the air.  This year, it happened to be the turning of the calendar to my favorite month of September.

I was playing in the park with my girl a few weeks ago, and noticed the beauty of the fallen leaves from a nearby magnolia tree.   It was instant inspiration!  Up close, I loved the shape and caramel color of the leaves so I thought they would make a perfect wreath for our front door.

golden magnolia leaves

This year, my requirements for a fall wreath were this: cheap and easy !   Here’s this year’s front door wreath, and the best part is that it cost me less than $5 dollars.

cg front porch fall wreath

The outdoor rug I found last year at Pier One.

cg front door magnolia wreath

Some of the magnolia leaves have a bit of shimmer . . . I couldn’t resist enhancing many of them with a little metallic craft paint.

color medley

I simply painted some of the leaves with various craft paints from my stash.

metallic paint on leaf

Then I wiped off half the paint with a paper towel to highlight the leaf’s natural beauty.

wipe off with paper towel

A little hot glue on an 18 inch craft ring from Michaels . . .

hot glue leaves

90 minutes later: a shimmery caramel colored front door wreath, tied up with braided jute twine and secured to the door with a 3M adhesive hook.

cg front door magnolia wreath

Easy, inexpensive, and oh-so-autumn!

cg girl and wreath

Magnolia leaves hold their shape for several months, so this year’s version should (fingers crossed) last through the season.

Are you finally ready for autumn too ?   What are your plans to bring fall into your home this year?  Do share !

112 Responses to “Magnolia Tree Fall Wreath”

1. Christine says:

Your wreath came out very nice. It’s so simple and appealing…I hope it lasts a long time for you!

2. Richella says:

That’s beautiful, Kate! I love magnolia leaves (if you have time and would like to know about part of my fascination with them, you can read this post: http://www.impartinggrace.com/2009/12/unwrapping-memory.html ).

Anyway, I’ve painted many a magnolia leaf in my time, but I never thought to take advantage of their fallish colors! You’ve intrigued me to look at one of my favorite trees in a new way.

I’m very slowly gearing up for fall this year. I have a number of pumpkins I’ve collected over the past 25 years, but I’m not quite ready to get those out yet. Part of my foot-dragging is our weather: it’s supposed to be 99 degrees here tomorrow! But perhaps I need to ignore the thermometer and just declare Autumn in my home!

3. What a great idea!! I love magnolia leaves. I had a tree in my yard when we lived in Texas and it was my fave. I use faux magnolia leaves a lot in my wreaths. Your wreath is beautiful! I am loving the simplicity of it and it is perfect for fall. :)

4. Katy says:

What a beautiful idea!! I’ve got to get on the fall wagon – HAH!

Also loving the rug!! Where did you find that bessie?

5. Wendy says:

Classic and beautiful! Wish there were some magnolia trees by me :(

6. Kristin M says:

I really like that! I was distracted though by your gorgeous rug! Care to share where you found that? :)

7. Laura says:

Our neighbours have a Magnolia tree that hangs over our garden, and so, we get the leaves… I think I might try and make this wreath with the ones I collect this year and pop it on the kitchen door! Thanks for the tutorial. Lx

8. Beautiful wreath. I wish I had a magnolia tree, I’d make one of these.

I made a wreath for our lake place door yesterday and a little centerpiece for the harvest table. We are here about 50% of our time since J retired.

At home, I began putting a few things out, last week. Fall is my favorite time of year.

9. Laurie says:

Gawwwwww-geous!

10. wow, that is actually breathtaking! i don’t live anywhere near magnolia trees, but i wonder if i could try this out with a different kind….hmmmmmm :)

11. Janell Beals says:

what a great idea, we used to have a magnolia tree in our yard in San Francisco, I remember Isabella sticking them into the openings in the fence and creating quite the fanciful fence. As a wreath they look gorgeous! I have no plans for fall decorating, except to finish my master bedroom. Still not ready for fall! Janell

12. Nadir@Stitchsensedesigns says:

WOW! I love it! The metalic paint really enhances the leaves so beautifully. :-)

13. Erin says:

Love.It. I am absolutely making this today. My front porch looks like a summer funeral. Flowers are dying, I’m getting lazy. This is exactly what I need to start the sprucing! I’ll have to be sure to steal my neighbor’s magnolias before she gets back from work though :)

14. suzanne says:

How lovely….and a cute little face to go along with it!
    I never thought of using magnolia leaves after they’ve turned, but this looks wonderful!

Suzanne

15. Love it! and love your rug by your front door too! I haven’t seen any magnolia trees where I live now, I will have to keep an eye open for them.

16. Sharon says:

As we are living with my husbands parents while we wait for our home to sell in our old city, I have been helping her decorate this year for fall. I miss bringing out all my own Autumn Decor. I think she will love this look. Great job! Off to find a magnolia tree. Thank you for the inspiration.
    Sharon

17. lili says:

oh beautiful! im so ready for fall!

18. Irene says:

I LOVE THIS IDEA! It’s inexpensive and easy enough for my 3 year-old to help with. I think I will use maple leaves..just have to see what kind we can find.

19. How creative! And it turned out great! I love the shimmer you added. Makes me wish we had some of those trees around here. Guess I’ll have to figure out something to do with the millions of pinecones in our front yard instead. :)

20. Christine Aldinger says:

wow love this fall wreath….and looks beautiful on your front door

21. Jen says:

Beautiful. We don’t have magnolia trees in our area. We’re not quite ready for fall up here in Canada yet – the weather is still in the 30’s (90’s in the US). I don’t love fall because it means winter is near, but I do LOVE FALL. I love the smell of it and the freshness of the air. I love fall colours and walking in the beautiful coloured leaves. Reading your post made me look forward to the upcoming season.

22. Such a great idea! So pretty.

23. I absolutely LOVE this. It looks so classic! But more importantly, where did you get your rug? It’s fabulous :)

24. What a great idea! We have a magnolia tree, but it hasn’t started losing any leaves yet. Of course, fall is still a long way off for us here in Houston. I desperately want to start decorating for fall, but I can’t bring myself to do it when the temp is still in the mid-90s. :-(

By the way, I loved the link party you had this week. It was so fun getting to see everyone else’s spaces!

25. kate! I was just picking up some magnolia leaves off the ground and loving the texture and thinking of how lovely they would be in a wreath. of course, you actually did something with them, while they are still a pretty thought in my head :)
    happy thursday~
    melissa

26. Erika says:

Fah-reakin’ love that wreath. It turned out absolutely gorgeous. I’m in the desert and have yet to see a Magnolia tree, but I might have to make one using somthing else. Oh, and I have my annual ritual to welcome in Fall. You can go to http://retropolitanhip.blogspot.com/2010/08/top-ten-for-freaky-tastic-fall-and.html if you are interested

27. Sara says:

I bought a magnolia leaf wreath 4 years ago and it has held up well. It was originally green and tan but all of the leaves have turned this caramel color. It is one of my favorite fall decorations!

xo,
    Sara

28. Ashly says:

I love it. I’m gonna try it too :o)

29. Christi says:

I absolutely LOVE the wreath and what you did with the metallic paint. Your creativity is astounding! Thanks for the great project idea/inspiration…

Have a nice Thursday! :)

30. This is SO Beautiful!!!! I can’t wait to try and make one!

xo,
    k

Kristin and Page ~ The rug is from Pier One, I bought it last year because I loved the colors and pattern so much ! You can read about my splurge here:

Thanks so much, you are too kind!

32. Kyra says:

Looks gorgeous!

33. Caroline says:

Man, oh, man! She is a beauty! I love it and am heading out in search of a magnolia tree as wee speak!

34. Cathy says:

That looks fantastic! I love that you used real leaves. So simple, yet so beautiful! I really need to get moving on the Fall decor! Yikes. It’s creeping in quickly. (Hard to believe when it’s still 95 degrees out! Ick.)

35. I keep seeing fall items everywhere, but I am not ready for fall…until now! That wreath is beautiful. Makes me want to start thinking about getting out those fall decorations. Thanks for sharing it with us.

36. Brittany says:

Well my plan now is to go gather the magnolia leaves from my backyard and give that wreath a try ;)

37. Brie says:

Gorgeous! Makes me wish my hubby could pack some of the magnolia trees from our flip house and bring them back home with him this weekend. Unfortuantely, they’d probably all get crushed in his luggage and I’d end up with a mess to vacuum instead of beautiful leaves to turn into a wreath!

38. kristin says:

It’s so pretty Kate! Our house is surrounded with these trees. Wonderful idea! The leaves are starting to drop now but we still have our summer weather. My fall wreath is looking pretty sad I can’t remember if I threw it out or kept it. We will see in a few weeks when I head up to the attic:)
    Take care
    Kristin

39. Heather C. says:

GORGEOUS! So I take it, it’s ok to start taking out my Autumn decor? LOL I’ve been waiting for that crisp-cool day to do so but it’s been in the high 90’s here and I am just not feeling it! I can’t wait to start decorating for Autumn!!

40. Very clever. I love that you just hot glued ‘em on. I am just now (finally) discovering the joys of hot glue.

41. Love it when frugal and beautiful come together. Lovely project! Fall in our home is in full swing. But not in the most traditional way. In asking us to share what we’re doing … there are loads of pictures on my blog: http://www.beckyhiggins.com/blog

42. Erin says:

What a beautiful wreath! I love fall and all the beautiful decorations that go along with it. Great job!

43. Katie says:

Beautiful idea!

44. Andrea T says:

I’ve never had a wreathe of my own, and I REALLY like how simple this one is so now I want one! I ought to find some magnolia leaves… Holly might work, but there isn’t much around here of that. Most of it is deciduous plants and lots and lots of pine trees (ahhh, the PWN)

Anyway, I want to try this :)

45. Andrea T says:

hahah oh, I guess it would make sense if I wrote PNW correctly (pacific north west). silly me… I Just woke up, my brain is still scrambled eggs :P

46. La says:

Your wreath is so pretty and understated. I love it! La

47. i LIKE it! i have magnolia tree in my yard, I just might have to try it.

And yes I’m very ready for fall, too bad it’s still forecasted to be in the 90s for the next week. :(

48. Olive Cooper says:

Awesome! I have two sixty year old huge magnolia trees in our front yard and the leaves go all over the place! thanksbunches♥olive

49. Love the wreath. We have a magnolia in our yard…will have to give that a go. Love the rug too!!

50. Sarah says:

Great idea, I love it! I’m also a HUGE fall lover and cannot wait to plant my mums and winter pansies. My flowers are looking tired and dull so I’m looking forward to the warm fall colors.

51. Mrs. R says:

I love it!! I have tons of magnolias around and pine cones. I know I always can come to you for inspiration. You rock!

52. Julie says:

LOVE that! I wish we had a magnolia tree!

53. What a gorgeous front door you have! I love the wreath, what a great use of leaves. And a fun project too!

54. This looks great. I love using things actually found in the yard.

55. Simple and Beautiful!! I love it. :)

56. I still have last year’s CG fall porch bookmarked, but I love this version too. Your magnolia leaves look huge! Such beautiful fall colors. I hope they last for you!

57. Meredith says:

A pumpkin spice latte always gets me ready for Fall! LOVE the wreath and your blog!

58. you are good! so chic and classic!

59. Anna says:

How pretty! I hope they last for the whole season for you! I’m with Meredith, pumpkin spice lattes definitely say Fall to me. No real plans so far, I feel so behind this year I am treading water to stay on top of things this week — my 2 boys started kindergarten and preschool and after school I feel like *I* need a nap!

60. Shea Lynn says:

I love Fall. It’s my most favorite season and always makes me happy. Your wreath is beautiful! I may try a version of my own. :)

61. So Cute! Our Magnolia trees are still green down here in Arkansas but I just love this!!

I mentioned this today!

62. Karen says:

What a great wreath! I love magnolia leaves and flowers. They do seem like Mother Nature colored them for fall once the leaves have fallen.

Karen

63. Christine says:

Love it!! I love how the leaves were naturally shiny too!

64. Alyssa says:

Ooooh! Pretty idea for a fall wreath. I’m in VA and that will definitely be easy to do here.

65. Robin says:

Love the wreath Also love your beautiful door mat! Where did you get it?

66. Clever girl! Now I have a reason to rejoice when my magnolia dumps leaves in my pool instead of curse it! I do believe this craft will re-appear on Hi Sugarplum!

xoxo, cassie

67. Oh girl! That is just gorgeous! I love magnolia leaves and what a great idea for fall. You come up with the best projects. I have no idea what I’m doing for Fall yet, got to get busy and come up with something.

68. Ahhh Autumn – my favorite season. Good Riddance Summer of 2010. It was a horrible one. Can’t wait to hear the crunch of leaves under my feet.

69. Lauren says:

Love this wreath! Makes me wish I had a magnolia tree:( Keep the fall ideas coming…I’ve got my inside stuff out, but I’m stumped on my outside! Thanks for the sweet comment on my office area too..I appreciated it very much:)

70. Nicola says:

Your wreath is the epitome of Autumn – looks sensational! It’s spring here so we are decorating with daffodils, daisies and pretty flowers everywhere.
    Enjoy your cooler months!

71. ButterYum says:

Love it!!! I’m not ready yet, but I’m looking forward to a drop in temperatures outside. This summer has been incredibly hot.

72. Sue says:

I’m working on it…hopefully, by the end of the weekend things will look a little different around here. I love the wreath…love magnolia leaves green or brown.

73. Sherri says:

Love it! Very Fall and I’m loving these cooler mornings and evenings. I’m SO ready for Fall!

74. Tara says:

love it.
    absolutely love it.

mine is very similar but it’s the fake leaves that look as real as can be…all wrapped around a grapevine wreath…cheap and easy and screaming FALL.

I’ll show it next week…..

75. Mary says:

Beautiful. I wish we had magnolia trees here.

76. Natasha says:

Even though it is Spring here I always add touches of Autumn to my Christmas decorating so thank you for this beautiful idea.

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

77. I love this and echo the sentiment, “GOOD RIDDANCE SUMMER OF 2010!” I’ve always lived in apartments that had outdoor entrances (breezeways) and this is my first fall with strictly indoor entrances… somehow, I feel like my decorations lose something :(

78. Michelle says:

This is beautiful! I’ve always wanted to make a fall wreath. Sounds so simple I hope to make one this year.

79. Denise says:

Your wreath is so pretty! You are right – the colors are wonderful. I love the extra shimmer you added.

I hope you don’t mind. I linked your post to my Porch and Garden Party at firstadream.blogspot.com.

80. Looks great! What a pretty wreath.

81. Erin says:

Yep, I loved this so much I recreated it yesterday and am linking you today! Thanks!!

82. I know this is totally not the point of your post, but where did you find such a fabulous oversized doormat?

83. Beth says:

OMG! That is such a wonderful idea! Looks great too…

84. Hi Michelle ~ I should update the post. The rug is from Pier One, I picked it up last year!

85. Love it! A little bit sophisticated, which is nice. I did something very similar last year, and blogged about it: http://bit.ly/cc57hK (with maple leaves from my yard) but I love the shimmer you put on the magnolia leaves. Maybe I’ll have to hunt some down and try it for this year’s wreath!

86. Rachel says:

Ooh pretty! I love the shimmer! Thanks tons, I’ll be linking to this.

87. Jamie says:

Go ahead and just adopt me and my house, m’kay? ;)

88. Heather says:

I LOVE magnolias! A couple of years ago i started clipping bunches of leaves, spraying them metalic silver or pewter and putting them in my Christmas tree. They fill it in beautifully and add great texture.

89. What a beautiful project! I think I will have to attempt as soon as my magnolia loses it’s leaves…

90. TidyMom says:

Kate I LOVE this!! – Stumbled and Tumblr for you too! lol
    Hey did Cathe tell you I’ll be visiting Napa Valley in Oct……we are hoping to meet up while I’m there!

91. What a creative idea! I loved how it turned out and that little sparkle totally makes it. This is the perfect fall wreath!

92. Jamilyn says:

Love it! Perfect project for fall and so inexpensive. Wonderful for your front door!

93. Gwyn says:

I love your mat too…where’d you get that!?

94. Kate that is so pretty. I love the shimmer you added. What a perfect fall wreath.

95. Lauren Liess says:

so beautiful!!!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! love the shimmer… I have one leftover from Christmas last year & might have to try this!!
    xoxo,
    lauren

96. Girl, ok I have to laugh because at our old house we had tons of magnolia leaves everywhere. Never thought to use them in a wreath! Brilliant and lovely. Much prettier than all over the ground!!

Thanks for coming to the fall nesting party!! And thanks for the encouraging words too! xoxo

97. That’s really lovely and so simple to make. Thanks for the tutorial, I might have a go at making one this weekend x

98. So pretty!! I love that it’s got that element of being au naturale. I linked up to it from my blog, here: http://10junem.blogspot.com/2010/09/featured-projects-fall-decor.html. Thanks for sharing!!

xo- M

99. Amanda says:

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here

If you would like a “featured by” button, you can grab one here!

100. deny says:

Bellissime le tue cose, molto delicate e nuove! Certo tu non butti via niente, brava!!!Torno a trovarti se ti fa piacere. deny