Strawberry Fields Forever

August 9, 2010

There is a strawberry field on a corner of Arnold Drive that I pass every time I visit  Sonoma.  You’ll see cars pulling in all day long for a batch of the farmer’s strawberries fresh picked that day.

strawberries picked daily

We eat store bought strawberries all summer long, but there’s something extra special about picking your very own as they ripen in the summer sun.

strawberry field sonoma

children in field .

flat of strawberries

We brought a flat of fresh picked berries home and started a new tradition by making a homemade tart.

strawberry tart

Easy Strawberry Tart

Frozen pie crust

20 – 24 oz. fresh sliced strawberries

2/3 cup sugar

1 tsp cornstarch

1 egg white

2 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Thaw frozen pie crust as directed, layer in tart pan (lightly sprayed with cooking spray).

dough in pan

Brush crust with egg white and bake in oven for 15-18 minutes until golden brown.  Meanwhile, rinse strawberries and pat dry as much as possible.  Blend sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest together, spoon into baked tart shell.

Bake an additional 30 minutes in oven.  If there is extra liquid from the water in the strawberries, pull from oven and carefully drain liquid, then place tart back in oven for remaining cooking time.

Serve with fresh whipped cream . . .

strawberry tart on tray

. . . and perhaps some bubbly.

tart with champagne

It’s the perfect summer market to table dessert.

slice of tart in bowl

Bon Appétit !

33 Responses to “Strawberry Fields Forever”

1. feef says:

ooooooh lovely pics ,,,, looks soooooo yummy =)

2. totally agree fresh is best – yum !! thanks for the recipe

3. Kristen says:

YAY! My MIL makes a “fresh strawberry pie” with Jello filling; I’m so excited to find something from real ingredients!! This looks outstanding.

Also “drain carefully”–think one could use a turkey baster to drain the liquid if things were getting too juicy in there?

4. Lauren@SimplyLKJ says:

Yum! The strawberries around here have not been looking too good. Wish we had fresh!! We planted a few of our own, but the bunnies love them. LOL

5. That looks both lovely and delicious. I would feel slightly guilty for eating it, but not for long.

6. Jennifer says:

oh my goodness…i’m pretty much drooling. How fun! I haven’t found fresh fields of strawberry’s in Oklahoma, just peaches – which are amazing too.

7. Katherine says:

Oh yummy! I eat strawberries almost every day too. We grow them in our garden and in the winter months I get them from our local market. Delicious. I enjoyed my visit to your blog. Wishing you happiness, Katherine

8. Amanda says:

You got the right idea with the bubbly. I like your style ;)

9. Susan says:

Your post looks absolutely YUMMY!

10. Terrell says:

what a fun filled treat!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I love the pics and the recipe!!
    Happy Monday to you and yours
    ~Terrell @ FFD~

11. Clover says:

Yum I have never made a strawberry tart. Looks fantastic.

12. Anna says:

looks so good, love your plates too

13. Alyssa says:

Looks wonderful! I’ve been making jam and putting by fruit this summer, but our local PYO strawberries have been gone since early June. Boy, do I envy you!

14. andrea says:

love your red transfer ware! And the tart looks amazing!

15. Yummy!!! I am hosting a jewelry giveaway on my blog. Would love to see you there!

16. Struggler says:

Delectable! I loved picking strawbs as a child.
    I was relieved you used a frozen pie crust – I thought perhaps you might be a pastry diva also :)

17. Tina says:

that looks DELICIOUS!
    your posts just get better & better!!

18. Val says:

We pick strawberries when ever we can. Your table set up and tart looks amazing!

19. Sara says:

This is probably a silly question, but how do you get the tart with all that strawberry goodness OUT of the tart pan without creating a mess?

20. Kim says:

So luscious looking! We just bought some strawberries from a street vendor in Cordoba this morning. Not enough for a pie, but I’m thinking strawberry shortcake only instead of shortcake I’m going to make chocolate scones for the base. Such a treat!

21. Strawberries are my favorite food! YUM!

22. Allison says:

Oh, that strawberry tart looks so delicious!! I also love the dishes you are serving it on. I am having a few girlfriends over for my brithday celebration this weekend. Think I now know what I’ll make! Thanks, Kate, for sharing your fabulous summer dessert. Oh, and we go to that strawberry field often – we live fairly close to it. Love it!

23. That strawberry tart looks delicious!! I might just have to make one!

24. Sue says:

Is there anything more beautiful than fresh fruit from the vine or orchard. It is peaches at my house this week. Your tart looks delicious and I can almost smell those berries.

25. There is something so satisfying about picking your own fruit. I miss that the most (used to live in Modesto). I remember picking them at the end of the season for $.50 a pound. I would make jam, tarts, syrup, pies, etc. There is nothing like a California strawberry. Yum o!

26. Jeralee says:

Yum! That tart looks soooooo good! Thanks for including the recipe.

27. Yummy. I absolutely love strawberry pie, which is very similar to this tart. And you’re getting your fruit, so it’s healthy, right?

28. Soooo jealous! I can’t believe you still have strawberries in season. Well, okay, yes I can. NC season ended in late May. ;-( But, I did freeze some, so might just have to use my stash.

Thanks for sharing!
    Brittany

29. Virginia says:

That looks so yummy! My 14 yo son has been making glace (glaze) pies this summer. Strawberries are the best! He cooks that jelly and pours it over. YUM! Fun for the kids to decorate – strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries……..must call him to make one for tonight!

30. Lisa~ says:

Oh great. Now I’m stuck on that song AND I am craving strawberry tarts. What have you done to me?! ;) Lisa~

31. RebeccaMommy23 says:

Oh, my saw this pic and was immediately transported back to Nor Cal. Right now we are living in Colorado but for a time I drove past this sign every day and loved getting strawberries from them. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

32. Hannah says:

My mouth could not possible be watering anymore right now! Looks delicious!!

33. Maria says:

Oh my how lovely and delicious Kate!! I made it today for my family and it’s a good thing I made 2, because my little guys ate one all by themselves!! now one left for hubby!! This recipe is a keeper!! Thanks again!! :)
    p.s. the smell around the house was incredible!! love the lemon zest!!