Painted Trellis Wall

July 26, 2010

Hiya folks, hope you had a lovely weekend !  Today I’ll show you my step by step for the hand painted trellis pattern on our wall in our bedroom.

I wanted something elegant behind our headboard but also dramatic with a hint of shimmer.  My original idea was to use wallpaper with a subtle metallic pattern, but when I saw Kristen’s wall featured on YHL a few weeks ago, I decided to this was a much easier (and cheaper) way to add the large scale design I wanted without the expense of wallpaper.

cg lattice painted wall

This 13’ x 9’ feature wall was not difficult, but it did take a lot of patience.  I created my own stencil, sketched the pattern on the wall, and then filled in the lines with acrylic craft paint, all in about six hours.

Supplies: poster board; utility knife or sharp blade; silver colored pencil; level; painter’s tape; craft paint; artist’s Filbert paintbrush.

How To:

To create the stencil, I found the pattern to inspire me from the lattice pattern rug in my living room.   I traced half of the basic pattern onto a piece of poster board, then cut it with a utility knife.  I folded the poster board in half (vertically) to trace the other half of the pattern and to make sure the left side and ride side of the pattern were symmetrical, then I cut the other half of the pattern.

cut posterboard

You can see the fold in the middle of the poster board in the picture below.   I avoided cutting a small portion of the pattern to keep the inside border connected to the outside border.

I started in the upper right corner of the wall, secured the stencil with painter’s tape, then traced the first link of the pattern.  I worked my way down the wall, using a level each time to keep the stencil straight.

use level

I used a silver colored pencil to lightly trace the pattern on the wall ~ the metallic pencil blended better with the acrylic paint than a standard lead pencil.

draw pattern

I also marked the edge of the stencil as I worked my way down to keep it vertically straight.

mark edges

Tracing the entire pattern took about 2 hours ~ once you get going you’d be surprised how quickly you can trace a repeating pattern like this.

I chose to use acrylic craft paint in ‘Metallic Taupe’ (available at Michaels) because it was a pretty champagne color, and cheaper than gloss paint!  Although you could use the gloss version of your base paint for a subtle effect, or a pearlescent paint like this one.  One bottle of $2 dollar craft paint covered the entire wall  ~ my other tool was a high quality Filbert paintbrush.

metallic taupe craft paint

Once the pattern was traced on the wall, I simply filled in the lines with paint.  If you have an ‘oops’ moment ~ and I had plenty ~ just keep a damp rag close by to correct your little imperfections . . .

paint in lines

Total time to paint the entire pattern with two coats of the craft paint was about 3.5 to 4 hours.

Before:

wall before

After:

cg trellis wall 2

cg headboard

Need more pattern inspiration ?

Here’s just a few more repeating graphics that could be reproduced with a little paint and a lot of patience!!

graham and brown darcy wallpaper

jilian wallpaper thibaut

massucco warner miller bedroom

ballard trellis wallpaper

york lattice wallpaper

Images: Graham & Brown; Thibaut; Massucco Warner Miller; Ballard Designs; York Wallcoverings

What’s the next project you’re planning with paint ?

Tags: , ,

141 Responses to “Painted Trellis Wall”

1. pam says:

Love Love Love. I will try this… soon!

2. So clever and inexpensive! I never thought about making my own stencil out of poster board; but now that I read your tutorial I’m very tempted to try…

3. It looka fabulous and looks “easy” to do. Even for someone like me.

4. Jessica says:

Stunning! I think I’m going to give this a try. Thanks for the details!

5. Stacey says:

You really did an amazing job! What a transformation!!! I especially love the pics of additional inspiration you posted.

6. What a wonderful tutorial. I’m not sue I would have the patience to trace and and paint all that stenciling. It looks great and I applaud you on your patience.

7. Heather says:

I really like the way that turned out. I would like to do that, but with a year old baby it might be awhile. It looks great!

8. WOW! You make it look so easy. :) Once I can decide on colors, I need to paint my kitchen, hallway and dining room. They need a change!!! I may need to do another Decorating Dilemmas party specifically for myself. ;)

9. mle says:

Your wall is so amazingly beautiful!! This is exactly what I want to do in the MB. Seeing yours makes me want to start immediately!!!

10. excellent! welp, looks like whenever i get emails about how to do my pattern from here on out, i’m directing them here! hehe…

oh! another helpful hint when you are doing patterns on a wall – using watercolor pencils (available at all crafts stores) in the same shade as the paint you will be working with are a realllly easy alternative to pencils (to trace with), because they blend right in when the paint goes on! no erasing needed, and if you do need to erase, it’s super easy because it dissapears with water! :)

great work!!!

11. Raelynn says:

Looks fabulous. I love the elegant look of it, and to think of the cost, what a major plus. I think I’ll start looking for a pattern. Thanks for sharing the how to with us!!

12. Janell Beals says:

It looks amazing, love it! I have made stencils out of poster board, it is actually pretty easy to do isn’t it? Yours looks very very high end! Janell

13. Peggy says:

love it!
    thanks for showing us how you did it- I think it makes the project seem a lot easier and more do-able.

14. Heather says:

that is so awesome!!

15. jan says:

gorgeous! I’m going to try this myself in a few weeks!

16. Meag says:

Love it! Now I’m even more depressed that I will probably never have painted walls again–I just married an AF man . . . And we’re moving in two weeks, so that’s my next project. ;-)

17. Kristin says:

Wow Kate, you have a lot of patience!!! It looks awesome! :)

18. Alison says:

Wow–that took a lot of work. My next painting project will be to refinish a desk–but it will have to wait a few weeks till the kids go back to school.

19. Laurel says:

I totally love this – once I get done with our office, and our backyard, and get the chair rail up, and make the headboard. . . . maybe then this can go on my project list!

20. Thanks for sharing Kate, it looks wonderful. I would never have thought to use poster board (a staple in my daughter’s craft supply cabinet!) to make a stencil. The best part about this project-no removing of wallpaper will be necessary when you want a change!

21. Amy K says:

Great job – I love the way it gives a nod to the sidetable as well! perfect.

This is the downfall of bumpy plater walls – nothing would ever look as crisp!

22. That is simply stunning! Just lovely!

23. Oh my gosh! AMAZING! I’m in love with the new wall! It turned out just great! And thanks for the inspiring photos of other stenciled walls. :)

24. Karena says:

Kate you are really inspiring me!! I have several projects lined up now to prioritize. I will keep this for sure! It is beautiful!!

Karena
    Art by Karena

25. Emily says:

Fabulous! I was considering the Darcy wallpaper you showed but maybe we will attempt this. 4 hours,huh? Not horrible! Thanks!

26. Lyndsay says:

This is GORGEOUS like everything else that you do!! You have been my inspiration with the redecorating taking place in my home right now. I have been spray painting, re-finishing and working like mad on getting everything complete. Now I’m thinking this wall treatment would look perfect on the wall behind my workspace. Thanks for the constant source of inspiration!!

27. omg it looks incredible!!! I would love to have something like that in my bedroom!

PS – is that a new headboard? Did you make it or buy it? Gorgeous!

28. Val says:

You are amazing!!!!! I love it.

29. Leanne says:

The wall is gorgeous. There’s no way I could have painted it that fast. You’re amazing and have a lot of patience. I love the colors too.

30. I’m amazed at how fast yout got this wall done-it looks very time consuming but I love trellis! I really loved your whole makeover and the wall is just gorgeous. I love YHL too and come to think of it, now I remember seeing something similar a while ago.

I wanted to share your transformation with my readers, so I added it to my Pure Inspiration post on Friday here:

31. Tiffany says:

Wow that is so beautiful! I love it! I can’t believe it was done by hand it looks perfect like wall paper would.

32. I absolutely love your wall!! Gorgeous!! Wish I had that kind of patience!

The hubby & I did something similar in our dining room…but not nearly as much patience required :D We used the same color of paint, with two different sheens and painted vertical stripes on the wall by alternating between the two sheens. Very subtle but looks fabulous!

Thanks for sharing!

Melissa {http://www.BoutiqueMe.net}

33. i LOVE your wall! I also saw Kristen’s a while back and fell in love. Now I just need to get up the nerve to put the paint on the wall.

Was it just luck that you started in the corner and the patteren ended up centered above the bed or did you scale it to the right size?

34. Shelley says:

LOVE this.
    You did such a great job!
    I’m SO into this craze as well!
    I just get too lazy and make my vinyl machine do all the work, when I can. LOL.
    I did a quatrefoil design in my “new” pantry.
    The grey and white just make my heart swoon :)

I’m thinking that I might attempt paint next time though, on the large wall that we want to do in our master :)
    Thanks for the tips!
    Beautiful as always.
    ~Shelley Smith
    houseofsmiths.blogspot.com
    wonderfullywordy.blogspot.com

35. Aja says:

WOW! I am sooo impressed! And thanks for the play-by-play, this now looks much more doable than I originally thought! I love the metallic paint you chose, which is just subtle enough.

36. That looks great! We re-did our family room a few weeks ago and I REALLY wanted trellis pillows. I might just slap some paint on the wall instead!

37. That is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing!

38. Molly says:

Looks awesome!!

39. I love, love, LOVE this treatment! This is on my “to-do” list for our bedroom as well!!! This is absolutely stunningly BEAUTIFUL!!!

40. Erika says:

Looks like wallpaper! I’m inspired to try this in my guest bath!

41. Annelise says:

Can six year olds help with this? Perhaps diamonds for my children’s wall. I love love love it, you did a fantastic job and praise you for your patience and attention to the detail.

42. Stevie says:

WOW I cannot belive you did that by hand!! It looks gorgeous!!! Great job.

43. Yuliya says:

Amazing! You make everything look so easy. Great job!

44. Laura says:

Absolutely beautiful!!! I love how the walls turned out. Great job!

45. Gorgeous! If only I had the patience to do this!!

46. That looks amazing!
    Really good job! ;)

Thank you for sharing.
    Lovely greetings…

47. Rachel says:

Wow, that looks stunning! Thank for the details, I’ll be linking.

48. xin says:

I will definitely try this next time I paint the bedrooms. It’s gorgeous and so elegant! Also love the second inspirational pictures, the one with that amazing floor lamp!

49. Lauren@SimplyLKJ says:

Love it! Thanks for the inspiration. Might try this in my older daughter’s room.

50. Love all the pattern inspiration you included! We just painted our living room a month or two ago, but I think a patterned wall could kick it up a notch!

51. Heather says:

Respect – that must’ve taken so much patience. And what an amazing end result! Think I might try out something myself

52. Amber P says:

This is just beautiful Kate! Thanks for the tutorial. May I ask what color your wall paint is? I love the colors in your home. So bright yet soothing and sophisticated. You have such great taste!

53. The paint color is ‘Nantucket Gray’ by Ben Moore. Love it !

54. Heather says:

It’s so pretty!

55. Absolutely beautiful!! You did an amazing job. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your work.

56. Aubrey says:

Yay! Ever since you posted the first pictures of your gorgeous wall, I’ve been waiting anxiously to see how you did it! It is absolutely stunning! We are moving in a couple weeks and I’m pretty sure our new bedroom will be getting a makeover, courtesy of CG ideas!!! (c:

57. Peggy says:

Looks fantastic! I’ve been wanting to do something similar to the ceiling in my sewing room/office/guest room but after reading The Agony and the Ecstasy about Michaelangelo’s experience painting the Sistine Chapel, I just can’t motivate myself. Your experience is pushing me a little bit closer to that becoming a reality. Thanks for the inspiration.

58. Wow! That looks awesome. You make it look easy!

59. You are wildly talented…and patient! That looks amazing…and thank you for posting the color of the walls, I’ve been looking for the perfect gray. I’m in the process of re-doing my son’s room…so there is a lot of painting involved!

Beautiful job!

xoxo, cassie

60. That looks gorgeous! I’d love to paint a damask or quatrefoil pattern on our bedroom wall, but I don’t think it would read well since our walls are all kinda bumpy. :o(

61. Tiffany says:

Beautiful as always.

62. ButterYum says:

Fabulous. I love that you used a silver pencil – great idea!!

ButterYum

63. Kath says:

Looks stunning – but may I ask why you painted the design freehand rather than stenciling it straight up?

Hi Kathy, if I understand your question, do you mean why didn’t I paint it link by link when the stencil was taped to the wall? First, I didn’t want any paint on the posterboard, that would just smear everywhere ! Plus, you can see the pattern overlaps a bit, so I would have had to wait for each column to dry before moving on. It made more sense or me to simply paint between the lines after I sketched them all out on the wall.

:-)

65. crib tales says:

Thank you!! ForEVER I’ve been looking for the perfect paint color for the wall behind my fireplace -it has 3 large windows over the fireplace so decorating it is minimal and I wanted a subtle tone to pop from it. My walls are sort of a taupe grey and the sheen of your color above is exactly what I wanted. I bought 3 little bottles of it today and have already painted – it is PERFECT! I may just have to send you a before and after, I’m so pleased with it. I didn’t do a stencil, but totally stole your color choice. The walls and windows stand out beautifully now, with mercury glass collection on the mantel itself. Thank you!!

66. Just gorgeous! I might have to copy your beautiful wall in our master bedroom… I makes such a beautiful focal point!

67. Angie K says:

This is so subtle, yet so eye-catching – love it! Wonder how it would turn out on my plaster (with texture) walls?

68. Tara says:

I love it!!! I have been plotting the same method for our powder room, but so far have only been bold enough to try it on a stool. So my worry is with the craft paint, if I need to wipe down the wall will the paint wipe right off? (I used poly on the stool, but that won’t happen on the wall!) I really appreciate your guidance and pictures (it will help convince hubby!)

69. Lisa Canning says:

FANTASTIC feature wall- clever and so chic.

70. Jen says:

That is gorgeous, and so perfect for your room! Very CG :)

71. Stacey says:

I am definitely going to do this in our master bedroom…such a great idea!

72. Melinda says:

This is really stunning on that wall behind the bed. I love it!!! And it does not look hard, but probably is time consuming. Love & blessings from NC!

73. Julie says:

Wow, Kate, I can’t believe that only took you 6 hours. I am confident I’d be there for days if I attempted this. But the end result is so amazing. You did a wonderful job! (I too loved that post on YHL, so it’s cool to see it implemented in another house.)

74. Just AMAZING! I love it! I am so inspired!

75. my hubby wants to do this and I said no as I just could not get the concept – so thanks great to see this done as it’s a master piece….well done you are soooooooo sensational!!!!!!!!

76. Terrell says:

LOOOVE THIS!!! I wouldn’t ever put up wallpaper again if I could do this wonderful and dramatic look!! It’s just gorgeous!!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

77. feef says:

wow ,, i thought it was a wallpaper ,, great job !

78. Jen says:

Gorgeous! I love the idea of looking like wallpaper without the hassle or the price!

79. Ann says:

You are the best! This is so much better than using wallpaper, because when you want to change it, it is easy to remove. Now let’s see how that wall looks with your dresser, etc. You should have a box on your blog with your favorite paint colors.

80. Sarah says:

See, now I’m even more amazed that you did that. It’s just amazing. Really.

81. I just found your blog via Tipnut and I am in awe! I could spend days here! Your work is so creative and your photography is wonderful! I have signed up as a follower and will come back often!

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

82. Jacki says:

BEAUTIFUL! Is there a way you can sell the stencil so I can just buy it from you? I’m kinda challenged with making my own stencil. Pretty please?

83. Julia says:

WOW. You are brave! And even-handed! Your wall looks better than any of the inspiration photos you posted. Just GORGEOUS!!!

84. Chris says:

This really inspired me I have used stencils with metallic but love this pattern sooo much I may have to use it somewhere in my own home. I have used the color Nantucket grey on some jobs and is very popular and goes with everything! Thanks for sharing you do an amazing job…………C.

85. Stephanie says:

I have been anxiously awaiting this post since I saw the reveal! I really want to do something like this for my bathroom wall.

BTW, thank you for posting such amazing tutorials! I’m also getting ready to paint some cabinets for the first time and didn’t know where to start. From your product recommendations to your fantastic how-to photos. I finally feel confident enough to try my hand at some good old DIY home improvement!

86. Paula says:

This is such a fantastic project. What you did makes such a big impact for such a little expense. I would love to do a similar project in my home. Thanks for the inspiration!

87. This is one of my favorite things you’ve done! It is gorgeous and so inventive! I really want to try it on the large wall behind our bed too. Thanks so much for sharing your how-to.

88. […] I was oh so giddy to receive a note from a reader that he had recently stenciled his walls with an amazing trellis pattern in his living room just like I did in our master bedroom.   […]

89. brandy says:

WOW~~~ So elegant and hats off to you for being so patient!! Love it!

90. I think this looks amazing. Very impressed with your hand stenciling!

91. Ray* says:

I’ve been searching for awesome wallpaper for my office makeover project – haven’t found a winner yet. I’m highly considering the stencil idea. Although stenciling will take more time, it’s much more cost effective – and right up my alley as far as budget. This looks so nice and pretty!

92. […] too dramatic.  I wracked my brain for ages, trying to come up with something…until I found this idea, and fell in […]

93. Karen says:

WOW! I just bought a new house that I am SO excited to start decorating, AND I just discovered your blog. I can’t WAIT to try this idea in a couple rooms! I might even do a cherry blossom branch version of this in an Asian inspired room!

94. Marivic says:

I love the design and color! Fabulous job!

95. michelle says:

How big is your stencil? Is there any way you can upload it and share it with us? Thanks!

96. emily says:

Beautiful! I did something similar in my office and just posted the after photos this week.

97. jamie says:

beautiful! what is the name of the wall paint? (not the metallic paint)

98. wow!!! Amazing result. Congrats from Spain.

leticia

99. Haley Hill says:

I love this so much! I want to do it in my master bedroom or bath. I was wondering if you would be willing to share your stencil? Or do you have a full picture of just the stencil? Thanks!

100. Kelly says:

I love your stencil! I have been searching through stencils all day and cannot find one close to yours. Do you have a straight on picture of the rug or a link to the page the rug can be seen from? I went to the site you got your rug from and cannot seem to find it.
    So gorgeous – great job!!!