A Dangerous and Decadent Fixation

July 9, 2010

It all started with this strange whirring sound in the middle of the Fourth of July party.  I was catching up with my girlfriends when the sound of a small appliance began to compete with the iPod playlist.

Turns out, my hub had decided in the middle of the party to make homemade vanilla ice cream.  Huh ?  It was one of those moments where you look at your spouse that you’ve been married to for over a decade and realize perhaps you really don’t know that person at all.

vanilla ice cream Apparently, he had pulled the never-been-used Krups ice cream maker (so ancient, it’s now discontinued) out of its dusty box the day before and frozen the bowl in anticipation of making ice cream in the middle of the party.  That’s just how he rolls.

I confess, I mocked him.  “What’s going on here?”   Reply:  “Obviously, I’m making ice cream.  What’s a Fourth of July party without homemade vanilla ice cream?”   Perplexed and befuddled was I.   But my bewildered smirk gave way to a satisfied grin when I tasted his concoction.  He said, “Don’t you remember, we said we would make homemade ice cream this summer?”   That’s right, I did say that

Unfortunately, he’s now created a dangerous monster because I’ve been obsessed all week with my ice cream maker.   Oh, it all started so innocently, with plain vanilla.

My vanilla soon morphed into pralines and cream with some caramel sauce and chopped pecans.

caramel pecan swirl ice cream

Then I put in on top of warm brownies to really send my family over the edge.

caramel ice cream on brownies

The munchkins and I picked some wild blackberries on the back hill, and of course they ended up on top of our second batch  of vanilla.

blackberries on ice cream

But then I was inspired by this recipe on Country Living and just had to make . . .

Blackberry Cheesecake Ice Cream

blackberry cheesecake ice cream

12 oz. pureed and strained blackberries

6 oz. cream cheese, room temperature

1.5 cups sugar

1.5 cups whipping cream

1.5 cups milk

With fork, mix softened cream cheese with sugar, slowly add whipping cream and milk, blend together.  Add blackberries, blend, then process in ice cream maker.

As you can see, I am in serious trouble.

One final public service announcement:  Did you know it’s a misdemeanor to rinse an ice cream covered paddle before you lick it clean?   I’m just looking out for you.

ice cream maker wand

My ice cream maker is now my dangerous and decadent fixation.  I’ve moved on to more advanced ingredients, secretly hunting for new flavors on Epicurious.  On behalf of my mid section, someone needs to stage an intervention.  Please, I beg you.

Or at least join me and we’ll all spiral towards chubbiness together.  Have a great summer weekend . . . and please eat something decadent, just to show you care.

smiley

110 Responses to “A Dangerous and Decadent Fixation”

1. Ahhh!!! I absolutely love ice cream-any brand and any flavor. It’s a good thing we don’t have an ice cream machine. I’d be huge. :)

2. Juice says:

Love this post. Good thing I don’t have an ice cream maker!!!

3. Heather says:

There is only one word that fits here – YUM!

4. Tamber says:

Thank you for the post. I am glad that I am not the only one. You just know how to put it into words so well. My work gave us an ice cream maker for our Christmas Gift and now this summer they have had 3 flavor contests! I am addicted and I finally put the thing away in the shed this week to stop myself, honestly, I dont think that intervention will work, so I will join the Chubby train with you.
    With all ice cream happiness,
    Tamber

5. Heather says:

I tried out your recipe this weekend (doubled for my 5qt maker) and instead of blending the blackberry juice with the ice cream, I transferred the ice cream to 2 separate containers and swirled in the blackberry. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!

6. Sara says:

Those flavors sound delicious! I’m hoping for a wedding present we get the Kitchen Aide Mixer Ice Cream Maker attachment so I can finally try and make lavender ice cream. Ever had it? I saw the movie “It’s Complicated” featuring Meryl Streep and now I really want to make it. The Croque Misir (sp?) looks fantastic too!

7. [...] ever since I discovered this, we’ve stayed plenty busy making a lot of [...]

8. Tania says:

Oh my word – it’s mid winter where I am, but I am seriously thinking of making it this weekend!

9. Tara says:

Hi! I just found your blog. Your ice cream looks positively scrumptious! I recently became obsessed with ice cream making, as well. Isn’t it wonderful? :D Anyway, I am wondering whether the 12 oz. of blackberries and 6 oz. of cream cheese are weight or volume measurements? Thanks a bunch!

10. melissa says:

Hi!

When I read “I’ve been obsessed all week with my ice cream maker” I knew we were kindred spirits…two weeks ago I was at a garage sale and the rest they say is history…I gained 5 pounds in one week. My first creation was maple walnut…I tapped some maple trees this spring and when I saw the recipe I knew it had to be destiny. Now for the past several years I have had a friend spin cotton candy for my school bus kids as a treat at the end of the school year…this year I am making homemade ice cream drumsticks!

Love your blog…gotta go so many flavors so little time…take care.