Slipcovered Settee

June 27, 2010

I love it when a plan comes together !  I’ve been working on the living room all week, mostly the wainscoting, but one of the other pieces I also wanted to makeover was my brown velvet settee.  I love the shape of this piece – it fits on the wall next to the fireplace to perfection, but I was sooooooo done with the dark brown color.  Rather than pay big bucks to have it reupholstered, I decided, for now, to simply slipcover it.

I’ve mentioned before that my sewing skills are limited, but over time, I’ve been challenging myself to take on more intermediate sewing projects – this was certainly one of them.  I confess, I’ve admired the slipcovers across blogland for a long time, but this is my first attempt at slipcovering a piece of furniture myself.  After four days of piecing it together, bit by bit, I’m pretty satisfied with my new summer linen slipcover.

Lovely readers, meet my little settee and her pretty new linen slipcover.

Before:

velvet settee before

After:

cg settee slipcovered

There were several reasons why I chose linen.  One, what’s not to love, because I absolutely looooooove linen.  Okay, okay, so it wrinkles if you breathe on it, but the piece underneath is so tailored, I knew it would work if I could just keep my seams tight enough.  Two, linen is classic, and oh so French, so that completely appeals to me.

First, I prewashed the linen, then I cut my fabric into pieces and started to pin it all around.  It took me for-eh-ver to get this right.  You have to pin your slipcover inside out, sew your seam, keep your linen tight (but not too tight!) the entire time, then flip it right side out and try it on your piece to make sure your seams are straight.

Over. And over.  And over again.

pin inside out

Sheeesh, sewing a slipcover is challenging – my seamripper and I were BFFs this past week.

So after I sewed all the parts in place to satisfaction, I added a pleat at the bottom.  Gotta have the crisp pleat !  I folded my fabric strips over and stitched them together.  Then I pressed them with an iron to get the crisp edge, then slowly created the pleat with my sewing machine.

sew linen pleat

Next, I pinned the pleat to the edges, and attached with my sewing machine.  Finally, I hand stitched the edges of the arms since I didn’t want to bother with the perfection of the perfect circular edges on the arm rest.  Works for me !

pin pleat stitch arm

So here she is, ain’t she sweet ?   My first real slipcover !

cg settee slipcovered

I love the flirty pleat next to the traditional dark wood leg.

cg slipcover and endtable copy

Oooohhhh, and there’s a sneaky peek at the completed wainscoting, now finished in the living room, plus we installed a new mirror and light fixtures.

swirl snip

4 yards of linen on sale at $7.50 a yard = $30 for the slipcover, woo hoo !

I saved some cash by not reupholstering it, so I splurged on this pillow cover perfection from Pottery Barn.

LOVE.

pillow perfection

More pics of the living room upgrades to follow later this week !   But for now, I’m loving my summer linen slipcover.  Bliss !

125 Responses to “Slipcovered Settee”

1. Shirley L says:

It’s gorgeous!

2. Peggy says:

I LOVE how you did the arms! So unfussy and beautiful!

3. Emily says:

Kate, that looks fantastic! We have an armchair from the in-laws that I’ve been dying to reupholster/slip cover. I may just do it! Is yours one piece, or did you do a separate one for the pillow?

4. Emily says:

By the way, hello again. I’m the Emily who met up with you at the Petaluma antique fair. :)

5. Judy says:

There’s no way this is your first slipcover, it is gorgeous and so professional looking! Thanks for sharing this, I’m totally inspired!

Judy

6. Love the slipcover. It looks wonderful and I LOVE the ruffle. Gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

7. You did a fabulous job! Can’t believe it’s your first slipcover. I love the linen, especially up against the white wainscoting. And of course the little pleated skirt is the icing on the cake!

8. Dawn says:

I love it! It looks so great I never would have guessed you were not a sewing pro. Can’t wait to see the rest. You inspire me!

9. Love it! It looks great and professional! I have to admit that I LOVE the brown color too…that’s a bonus! At least in my house, when I slipcover something its to cover up the UGLYNESS of it…lol. Great job!

10. Londen says:

This is fabulous!! I love the linen! I have a similar settee waiting for her makeover in the garage. I don’t sew, at all and she needs to be reupholstered. You did an amazing job and look at all the money you saved! Bravo!

11. jen says:

I’m impressed. I’ve sewn slipcovers before, and it takes FOREVER! I guess the reason they’re so expensive is the labor involved.
    Beautiful! And the wainscot? Can’t wait to see it!

12. Catherine says:

You really are sensational! Nicely done – it turned out beautiful!

13. Bliss indeed!! Fabulous job. I’ve tried only one slip cover in my life, and that was enough! It’s not easy and you did a wonderful job!

14. Janell Beals says:

It now looks like it belongs in your space…what a gorgeous job! Janell

15. Megan says:

fabulous job. and the ruffle MAKES IT!

16. Julie says:

I love it! It looks so elegant.

17. I love her flirty little skirt!! Adorable! You did fab girl — why am I not surprised?!

18. Amy says:

This came out perfect, especially for a first timer! I have the worlds ugliest, most comfortable couch and I keep thinking I should just slipcover it, but I just don’t have the guts! Props to you for tackling this!

19. Wow, that looks so complicated!! It looks beautiful!! LOVE that little skirt!! I can’t believe this is your first slipcover!

20. Miranda says:

I love it!! I so admire the skill of slipcovering and I think you did a fantastic job. I adore the linen and flirty skirt. That’s a great change for the summer. The wainscoting looks awesome! Can’t wait to see the reveal.

21. Laura says:

Wow it looks fantastic!! Are you serious this was your first attempt? I’m impressed :) Good job!!

22. I’m so impressed…my Mom is my favorite seamstress and has done a few slipcovers -I totally respect that because they look so hard!

23. Tricia Rose says:

That has turned out so well – you have a talent! The ruffle is the perfect crisp touch.

24. I’m such a fan of your blog & your wonderful creativity. Thanks for sharing another great project. I think I would actually attempt this!

Warmly, Michelle

Faith, Trust, and a little Pixie Dust

25. Annessa says:

Beautifully done! I love the linen pleating against the dark legs. Way to challenge yourself!

26. The elegent lines of your setee and the masterful way you made this gorgeous linen slipcover belong together! Like pearls on a little black dress… peanut butter and jelly…April and Paris…
    The flirty skirt shows off your setees pretty legs too. Kate, I can’t believe this is your first attempt… and while wainscoting! Kudos to you!
    Yvonne

27. Jan says:

You’ve inspired me! I saw two perfectly shaped wingbacked chairs on craig’s list the other day, but the fabric was awful! I thought about doing slipcovers, but I was too scared… Until I saw this post!

28. Sarah says:

What a fantastic linen slipcover. It is so sweet and perfect for any space. I love that you can remove and wash, perfect. Great job lady.

29. Michelle Marsh says:

Holy wow-ness! You rock. That cover is so killer. I can’t believe you just “winged” it being self-taught! Well, you’re my proof that there is hope for me yet. I plan to cover a bench like the one at your dining table and then we’ll see what happens. I promise to send pics. Thanks as always for the pics. in your post with simple instructions!!! Drooling for the living room changes….however I loved it before. xo~M.

30. sarah b. says:

WOW! I love it! The ruffle along the bottom is the perfect extra touch.

31. LOVE it!! I know that was alot of work…I have a feeling it’s gonna just make the room so I’m sure it was so worth it. You have inspired me…I have some slip covering to do here at The Project Shoppe!

32. Daisy says:

Wow really, where can I find linen at $7/yard?!?
    I’ve been putting off slipcover attempts as I’m so afraid of wasting the $ on fabrics due to beginner mistakes like mine :-)

33. Katherine says:

Wow amazing – you did a fantastic job – my mum and I have made covers for my old sofa a few years back and I totally agree, they are a complete pig to do but so worth it!

34. Lori H says:

Kate, you did an amazing job! But that doesn’t surprise me one bit. Enjoy!

35. You did a wonderful job! My first slipcover was a mess, but this one is lovely. It is a great summer look and it is beautiful against the trim work. Can’t wait to see the finished room. My living room and dining room are almost done, but I have eight curtain panels and pillows to sew…ugh.

36. By the way, I spotted a question about where you buy linen for $7.00. You can actually find it online for $5.00 a yard at https://www.homefabricsonline.com/fabric/category/linen/designs.

37. Sara says:

You are my HERO!!! WOW!

38. Tracey says:

This is gorgeous!! I absolutely cannot believe this is your first slipcover. I was at the Nester’s slipcover party and I still haven’t tackled my very own slipcover. Great job!

39. Megan says:

I love this! I have 2 dark chocolate microfiber sofas that I am dying to slipcover.. The only thing is they have wood trim that sort of juts out at the arms, so I don’t think a slipcover would work – pooh! I am jealous :) I love linen too – so clean and crisp – esp. for summer.. I enjoy your posts and your ideas are always great. Have a good day! ~ Meg @ Life Together

40. Love love love!! Girl, you make the rest of us look like slackers with everything you accomplish in a day (or weekend). ;) I was just yesterday contemplating whether or not I might be able to slipcover one of those PB anywhere chairs…maybe I should give it a try. :)

41. Heather says:

so pretty, great job on your first slipcover!

42. Carrie Hays says:

Wow! Fantastic job. I love it!

43. Sara says:

Great job on the slipcover…I love the ruffles! Your sewing skill sure are improving!

44. Amy says:

Wow. It’s breathtaking! I’ve loved looking at your blog. The more I look around, the more I realize how much of the same taste we have. Everything I look at I think, “Oh I love that!” or “Oh I need to make that!” I especially love the blues, particularly the robin’s egg blues, that you use in your house. And I’m just in love with this chair. Congrats on your first slipcover!

45. Erin says:

absolutely beautiful. you inspire me! i still have your resale home office chair redo on my favorites – just waiting for the houston heat to subside a bit and i plan to do it! i sent you an email a while back with a question about sewing the fabric to the back, but i know you’re playing catch-up with all that. please don’t think i’m a pest if i send another in a month or two when i get started on it – just would love to learn from how you did yours!

46. Wowee! What a wonderful job you did here! I, too, have been eyeballin’ these blogs with slipcovers and re-upholstery projects going on and am inching closer and closer to trying this mess myself. =-D

47. Rhonda says:

Wow! That is fantastic… and your first slipcover? Unbelievable! Great work – btw, where did you purchase your linen?

48. Christie says:

Your sewing skills are definitely not limited. That slipcover is awesome! Great job. :-)

49. Robin says:

Someone PLEASE talk me into making slipcovers for my FUGLY living room furniture. After researching for months, I finally purchase the perfect and affordable slipcovers in an Ivory for my sofa and chair. Well, they would be perfect, if they fit! The furniture is oversized which means none of the pre-made ones will likely work. I have very limited sewing skills as well. Does anyone want to see my furniture and tell me it’s doable?

50. Kathleen says:

Fantastic job!

51. Julie says:

You did a great job! Love it.

52. ally says:

So beautiful! I LOVE the pleats. I’ve gotta do me some pleating on something. ANYTHING.

53. First of all, that settee is just gorgeous!! I love the legs!! I can’t believe you did the slipcover yourself! And you said your sewing skills were limited!

54. Pam Fitz says:

Wow, it looks great! I love me some boxpleats! It reminds me so much of the slipcover I did for my sofa. I actually just finished slipcovering my dining chairs too!

55. Wow! Great first attempt, I would say! Love the simplicity of the colour and fabric and the pleat is extra sassy.

XO
    Lenore

56. Karen says:

You are so inspiring! The ruffle is my favorite part!

57. It looks amazing, yet again! I’m with the others, the pleat has me swooning. :)

58. Girl, you are SO good with that sewing machine! What a great job & the little pleated skirt is perfection. Bravo

59. Liz says:

I love how a slipcover can bring extra life to an old (but much loved) couch. Love the pleats too!

60. Elizabeth says:

Kate! I must say how amazed I am by you. You can have a vision, not ever having tried a project before and totally rock it! You are the queen craft-ess :) I must admit, slightly green with envy at your creativity. What an amazing transformation. Keep it up girl!

61. L.Duncan says:

Love the new look! the pleats were the perfect touch! Can’t wait to see more:-)

62. Cheri says:

Can I just say how much I LOVE your new slipcover? Especially the ruffle. That little touch that you’ve used on a few different pieces now is my favorite part. Want to come to my house and help me with a few things? :-)

63. Oh. My. God. It looks amazing! I am so jealous of your your slipcovering abilities. Or, at the very least, your “fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants” ability! So great.

I really, really, REALLY want slipcovers for the chairs in my living room, since they currently live under dropcloths, but I am terrified.

64. that looks amazing!

65. Looks terrific! I “slipcovered” an old chair years ago, but to make things simple I just hand stitched the upholstery fabric directly onto the chair. It was really easy and worked well.

66. elz says:

Lovely. You completely transformed the setee-before it was formal and now so comfy. Great job, as usual!

67. Terrell says:

Amazing as always!! I just love how clean and fresh the fabric makes it look! It looks like it has always been that way!
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

68. Lauren@SimplyLKJ says:

Kate,
    It’s beautiful! I love the fact that you used linen…it really suits the piece nicely. Very crisp and clean looking…so summer! Good Job!!

69. Love it, Kate! I too love the pleat against the legs.

70. Martha says:

Beautiful job on the slipcover. I’ve been wanting to cover a love seat I have but just don’t know where to start. How do you know how much fabric you need? Would it be easier to try and re-upholster it instead? I envy your “go for it” attitude.

71. I absolutely love all the little pleats! You must have the patience of a saint. :) I can’t believe how tough it is just to cut a straight line, as I learned this weekend while cutting and pinning the pieces together for two pillow covers!

72. Laurel says:

Four days? I’m on day 12 of sewing a slipcover for a love seat. I try to get one complete seam a day. Yours looks fantastic. I’m so proud, they are really tricky! Way to go!

73. Alice A says:

As always, I’m awed! So proud of your “can-do ‘attitude.
    this is gorgeous…. and you’re incredible! Can’t wait to see the rest of the room…. loving the wainscoting!
    keep going, CG!

74. Wow, you did a great job and made it look so easy !

75. Joanne says:

Adorable! I love the pleated skirt! Here’s a tip – take some cut lenths of upholstery foam for cushions (I use my scraps) or fabric tubes cut to size and tuck them into the crevice all around the seat cushion until they can’t be seen. This keeps the fabric tight after sitting so you won’t have to fuss with it! Good job!

76. I’m so impressed Kate. I have slipcovered exactly one piece of furniture, a chair, and there were lots and lots of curse words involved in the process. The corners were the worst. You cover/fabric selection is ideal for your home’s style.

77. Candy says:

What a fantastic transformation! Looks like a deep breath of fresh air! You have guts girl, and it certainly paid off. Congrats!

78. Suzanne says:

Wow~it really does look beautiful!

This makes me want to tackle some wing back chairs I’ve been saving.

79. Heather D. says:

Wow! What a beauty! Awesome job, and thanks for the instructions on how to do it. Although I am sure that my slip cover would be crooked and the ruffles would look more like spikes, you have given me the confidence to add this to my list of things to attempt.
    Keep the great ideas coming.

80. You are like a goddess with that sewing machine. That slipcover looks FANTASTIC!!!

81. Amazingly cute! We just bought a linen couch from Restoration Hardware, but if I could sew I would totally have gone that route! Nice.

82. Mrs. R says:

You did an amazing job!! Love it!

83. Brittany says:

Beautiful! I love how you do the pleated ruffle. I’ve admired that since you did it on the upholstered bench cover.

84. Brittney says:

Looks fantastic! I feel your pain on the seams. I redid mine about 1,000 times!

85. Juice says:

Wow. Just wow. I love it – the piece looks completely different. Love the linen, love the pleats, love the pillow, love how summery it looks. You continue to awe me!

86. I am so impressed! It looks amazing!!!

87. Cathe Holden says:

GEEZ LOUISE! I love the choice of fabric! Your finished piece is gorgeous. Amazing job Kate. And the wainscoting…holy smokes.

88. I absolutely love this!! I’m dying to make a cover for our old loveseat, but can’t bring myself to splurge on the cash it’s going to cost :)

89. Lone says:

Oh, it looks sooooo much better. Awesome job!

90. Hi Kate –
    I have done this myself and smiled when you said how many times you had to take the slipcover on and off to get the fit right. All those on’s and off’s paid off as your piece looks great.

91. Wow I am totally impressed with your sewing skills. That turned out so fab and it looks perfect!

92. great job! the pleating is sooo good.

93. Awesome job! I’m working on my first sofa and I DO sew. Still nervous but you’ve encouraged me!

Ellen

94. Naomi says:

Now I’m drooling! Great job! And I love the curves of the settee! Can I ask where the settee is from?

95. Susie says:

Hello:

I am new to your Blog and have to say I just love it…

You did a terrific job on your slipcover…just beautiful!

Warm Wishes,
    Susie

96. Kim says:

It certainly looks like you have plenty of sewing skills. This turned out so lovely, the lines of the sofa are wonderful.

97. Peggy says:

I just slipcovered two parsons chairs in the same linen with an inverted pleat trim on the bottom and I love them as much as you love yours! Found a great source for linen online – fabrics-store.com – so I am ready to tackle a rolled arm chair out of cotton duck (unlike linen, duck can handle teenage boys and dogs that like to “dig” a pit on the cushions). This will be my sixth slipcover and they definitely get easier the more you do. So . . . keep sewing!

98. Heather R. says:

You should be SO proud of yourself. It looks FAB!!!

99. Kate, what do you mean your limited sewing skills???? It looks sooo professional and so lovely! The pleats are amazing. You can hop over here and sew a slipcover for my yellow settee any time!

5 stars, girl!

ox, Mon

100. That is seriously awesome. The linen is beautiful and it looks very professionally done.