Laundry Room Reveal

May 24, 2010

There are three reasons I’ve never liked our laundry room.

One.  The original contractor/builder of our house picked out the cabinets when this honey tone wood was still popular last decade. They’re very good quality cabinets, but I have not been fond of the color for, oh, ever.

Two.  One of the cabinets in our laundry room housed our very old indoor cat’s litter box.  Sadly, we had to have our kitty put down a few months ago due to severe illness, but the good news is the cat box odor has finally left the premises.

Three.  Laundry is my least favorite household task.  I confess I do love the smell of fresh clean laundry, I just never wanted to be in the laundry room for reasons One and Two, and I so I would get lazy with this chore and tend to put it off until it got out of control.

I am happy to say I no longer have those excuses because of this new and improved space!  Here’s what the room looked like last week.  Pretty bland, right ?

Before:

laundry room before left side

But here is my laundry room now !

cg laundry room after

Oooh la la, I am so in love !!!

I think I will really enjoy doing laundry from now on !

A year ago, the room was even worse !  We had these hand me down machines that were really old.

washer 3

We’d already had them repaired too many times.   When the washer’s motor burnt out for the second time in six months we finally had to break the bad news to the washer – hit the curb loser !   Then we sold this dryer on Craigslist for $50 bucks.

We decided to invest in some front loaders and totally scored because my dad worked for GE so he hooked us up with a GE Profile washer and dryer at a discount price.

Can you say happy dance ?

Hello you two gorgeous machines.

cg washer and dryer

These machines are totally amazing compared to their predecessors.  The washer uses like three or maybe four drops of water to clean an entire load, and then the dryer reads the washer’s mind and knows just how much time to dry based on weight.  They are so wicked smart and efficient, it kills me.

I have only one criticism.   They really need to have little robot arms so that I could just hand the clothes to them and they’d do it all for me:  wash, dry and fold.  Could someone really smart invent that please ?  Little robot arms on washers and dryers ?   I’ll buy !

The inspiration for the colors in here was my tiny collection of sea glass.  I love the blues, greens, and whites together so I used those shades for all the colors in here.

cg lonely socks and seaglass

Do you love that basket for all the single socks ?

Here’s the mate that holds soap, bleach and softener.

cg fresh and clean shelf

Upper Cabinets Before:

upper cabinets before

And After:

cg laundry room upper cabinets after

swirl snip

More Blah Before:

lower cabinets before

Aahh After !

cg lower cabinets

These white laminate countertops are in perfect shape, so I saw no need to replace them.  I actually like neutral laminate countertops with a rounded edge.  Really, I do !  They’re so easy to clean and no grout lines !

laminate laundry room counterops

The drying rack I built last summer is still in here.

I use it all the time  for delicate garments.

cg drying rack

I couldn’t find any art I liked, so then I found these zinnia like stepping stones, spray painted them, and hung them on the wall.

cg drying rack and stepping stones

Just pretty and playful enough to motivate me !

I love how the floral stepping stones play off the fabric in this shade.  I absolutely adore this fabric and the grosgrain ribbon trim – all the colors that are perfect for this space.   I’ll publish the ‘how to’ on the shade soon !

cg flat fold shade

Oh yes I did hang a flirty chandelier in my laundry room.

I know for a fact its presence will make folding clothes less mundane.

cg chandelier in laundry room

So there’s the grand tour of my 8’ x 8’ new and improved laundry room !

cg room after

Next time, I’ll give the full breakdown on all the projects that went into this makeover, including paint colors and a source guide on all the extras . . .

cg white towels and plant

. . . meanwhile I’m off to find more things to wash !

208 Responses to “Laundry Room Reveal”

1. Decorchick! says:

Wow, that’s beautiful!! My laundry room is on the to-do list. Your makeovers are always stunning!

2. April says:

OHMYGOSH. So jealous of your “after”. Heck, I’m even jealous of your “before”. My “laundry room” for lack of a better word is a dark, dirty corner of an even darker, dirtier garage. Concrete floors, walls half covered in 70’s paneling and black papered drywall. (Where do you even GET drywall backed with black paper?) The other half bare studs which are open and backed the wooden cladding OUTSIDE the garage. You can’t even get there from inside, you have to trudge through the backyard.

And the piece de resistance? My Washer/Dryer are topped by a shelf my grandfather rigged up out of old 2x4s and an appropriated (read: stolen) political campaign sign from the 70s.

Oh, yeah, and did I mention the hot water heater on a table right NEXT to the washer/dryer? Truly lovely.

So appreciate what you have. And even appreciate what you had before!!!! Some of us aren’t just dreading doing laundry, some of are actually AFRAID to go do laundry….

3. Jen says:

As an apartment dweller who currently shares a positively prehistoric coin-op washer and dryer with seven other apartments, this post made me swoon. Gorgeous and functional as always, Kate! Bravo! I can’t wait for the days when I won’t have to hoard all my quarters!

4. I would be delighted to do laundry in there! It has amazing energy and is a breath of fresh air. I adore the transformation.

5. You are a genious Kate!! LOOOOVE it!! I adore your color scheme…and the lonely socks basket is perfect…it’s like a spa where you wash clothes…oops, I mean where robot-armed washing machines wash clothes. LOL!

6. Richella says:

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! (Sorry. . . that sounded a little like Lawrence Welk.)

Kate, your space looks glorious. This is the washroom that dreams are made of!

7. Rugger says:

Amazing transformation. How much did it all costs?

8. googiemomma says:

WOW!!! This looks incredible! What a transformation! *I* want to come do laundry at your house!!
    And I love the lonely socks basket…except if I did one it would have to be MUCH bigger!! hehehe

9. Emily L. says:

Now that’s the perfect laundry room!!

10. Shari says:

Are your cabinets and walls the same white? I have been wanting to tranform my laundry but can’t decide what I want to do in there. I wish I had gone with white front loaders instead of red. It has made things harder!!!

11. Robin says:

So very lovely. I really like the colors you picked out, oh and the fabric for the roman shades, and the chandler, and the painted cabinets – – OK there isn’t a single thing I don’t like! Beautiful job!

12. Jennifer says:

Ah-Mazing! I have a blah laundry room that is the entryway to the garage with no space and I really like your little space inbetween the washer/dryer and the cabinets I might have to do that too!

13. Julia says:

Love it! So fresh! So clean!

14. Helen Joy says:

Oh it is so magical! I love it!

15. Shelia says:

Oh, Darlin’, your laundry room is smokin’! I love it. What a difference your little touch has made. The painted cabinets are so pretty painted white! Love your accent color and your new machines are beautiful! I’m not jealous, no no Nannette…well, maybe a little bit! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

16. Amanda says:

Swoon! My sad little laundry room wants to be your beautiful pretty laundry room when it grows up.

17. Karen says:

What a beautiful room! I love the Lonely Sock basket, I have had a sad little cardboard box for years that says “Lonely Sock Club” on it, but now I think I may have to upgrade to something prettier like yours. Well done!

18. I love the chandy in the laundry room!

19. Gosia says:

Amazing space. Every detail is so perfect. And the Lonely Sock Basket stole my heart!

20. Angel says:

You’ve just made me realize how boringly drab my laundry room is, lol. I love what you did to the space. It’s breathtaking. :)

21. KatieC says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Can’t wait to hear all the details!

22. Morgan says:

WOW!! This turned out so so great! Super jealous!! Can’t wait to hear how you made the shade!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!
    Meet Virginia!

23. Alice A says:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHH…. Scarlett;
    “Ah Do believe Ah’ll retire to the LAWNDRAAY Fo some BLiss!

Truly Awesome redo…. Love the cool colors and the Roman shade- perfect pattern and colors! Swoons all around, and pass the mint juleps, Sugar, hear? Ah don ‘spect they’s any more towels need washin, now do they?

24. Sheila says:

Please share where to get the chandelier. I’m hoping is it not an expensive one as I am totally going to copy you!

25. pam says:

this is gorgeous!

26. Lori says:

Very pretty, it looks like a wonderful place to do laundry now. You are always so inspiring.

27. Amanda says:

I was just wondering if you could tell me where you got those flower stepping stones, they are so pretty! Love the remodel!

28. Christy says:

Whoa! It’s awesome!

29. kate says:

What a great make-over. Everything looks great, love the color choices. I am so jealous of your washer/dryer, mine are still in good shape, so I don’t have any excuse to get new ones, but I may have to steal some of your other ideas.

30. I cannot WAIT for the directions on how to make the shade. I have been wanting to do a shade like that in my kitchen for a while now!! It looks amazing!!

31. Holly says:

Oh gosh, I love it. With a room that fab, I might even offer to come do your laundry!

32. Tamara says:

So Gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing all your inspiring work!!! :-)

33. Omg! I adore this! Our laundry room is in a closet in a bathroom, so trust me, I even envy your “before”, but the “after” is AMAZING! Love the colors!

So wonderful, thanks for sharing!

Caitlin @ That House on the Corner

34. amy says:

Please, please share where you got your chandelier! It’s gorgeous!

35. Kate says:

LOVVVVE this space!!! Love even more the painted white cabinets!! How do you paint them so quickly and effortlessly (or it seems, anyway)!?? Seriously! Write a post on how to paint cabinets, pleeeease? Do you do the inside, too? I need the step-by-step! :)

36. Pam says:

Wow…that looks so nice. Bright and cheery! Love it all….makes me want to see what I can do with my laundry closet…….shut the doors comes to mind! lol

37. Laurel says:

kate – you did it again. I’m going to study these pictures and see what I can do to help my little room! You are awesome!

38. Condo Blues says:

I have the same color cabinets in my kitchen. I want to light them on fire. Sadly I don’t think a new pretty kitchen will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. Nice to know I can paint them though.

I have an HE washing machine too. Does your washer’s final spin cycle shake the whole machine? I had nice pretty things (OK they were bobbleheads) that rumbled off the washer during the spin cycle and broke. One of the things I chose the HE washer and dryer for was the flat top so I could put stuff on it.

39. AMY says:

Beautiful!!! I adore that fabric you used on the windows! Where did you find it?

40. Lacey says:

Wow. You never cease to amaze. As always, I love the blues you choose.

41. Randa says:

Just lovely!! So bright and cheery! Can’t help but feel better when you’re stuck in there doing laundry I bet!
    Love your “lonely sock” liner…very clever. I too, have a lonely sock basket…mine, sadly, is much bigger ;)

42. Melinda says:

This room turned out so good. I LOVE it!! And your choice of turquoise is my favorite!!! Makes me want to run down and re-do my laundry room. Love & blessings from NC!

43. Steph says:

Great post! I love what you did!

44. Susan says:

I can’t wait to see you did those shades with the ribbon. My husband and I have a craftsman bungalow in Washington, and I’ve wanted to do something like that in 2 of the windows.
    The laundry room is just beautiful. If mine looked like that, I would probably do a better job keeping up with the laundry :)

45. Susan says:

Forgot to mention… I love that blue rug. It just pops. What a nice touch…

46. Amanda Dale says:

Love the fabric on the curtains! Do you have a tutorial on how to make a roman shade?

47. Aubrey says:

Um, yes please!!! My laundry room is a thouroughly depressing place right now and you have inspired me to spruce it up! Lovely.

48. Bobbinoggin says:

oh I’m in love. you really made color make a punch by giving it small splashes amidst lots of white. mmmmmm hmmm!

49. Niki says:

This weekend the hubs and I made a 3 page list of projects for our soon to be house, the laundry room (read: closet) was not even on the list. Thanks for reminding me of that oversight. I’m actually looking forward to the challenge of developing the space.

50. Lovely!! My favorite part is the shade’s fabric, but it all looks amazing. I so wish I had front loading machines so I could create some folding space! Paint makes all the difference, doesn’t it?

51. Kathy says:

I love the way it came out. I can’t wait to add cabinets to my laundry room. It seems to be at the very bottom of our list, though.

I also have a basket for lonely socks. I have been doing it for years. Works great! Since I fold in my laundry room, when the socks don’t have a match, they go in the basket. For the most part, they end up with their mate at a later date.

52. Cindy says:

Your makeover is so beautiful. I love the wall color, which I know was there before, but now is much more restful and calming with the white cabinetry. I just finished a major remodel on our family bathroom and there is nothing left in the budget to help the dark and dated laundry room. I am thinking of painting it a bluish color like BM-Silver Marlin and then repainting the horrible MDG cabinets and replacing the doors with shutter doors to freshen it up. Thanks for the inspiration. I am also keen to see how you made the roman shade as I need one for my kitchen too.

53. Yesss, dressing up the laundry room really makes a difference. I painted mine about two years ago and made it pretty, the only problem is that half of that space is where my husband keeps his tools – so…..yeah.

54. anh says:

can we trade houses? i love the new laundry room. omgosh!

55. Incredible!!!! Absolutely gorgeous! I love the mixture of cottage with pops of bold vibrant color! So jealous :)

56. I would love to do laundry in that room! What a fresh and pretty space. I’m going to link to it in my weekend round-up. Gorgeous!!

57. It was a very nice, clean space before, but now it is also pretty! It really looks too nice for doing a mundane task like laundry…..

58. Anissa says:

WOW! Great space. You’ve got quite a few comments on this little makeover. :)

I’m mostly interested in how you put up that chandy. I want to put a chandy in my master bath, in the place where a can ceiling light currently exists. Is this even possible? Maybe you’ve featured something like this on your blog before? If you ever have time to write about how to install chandeliers I’d be SUPER SUPER happy and grateful. :)

Love your laundry room!

59. jenjen says:

Wonderful!!! My laundry room is at the top of the “to do” list this summer. I love the colors that you went with too. Very beachy and happy-looking!

XOXO
    Jen

60. Gosh, Kate, it’s BEAUTIFUL! I love the color scheme, so fresh!

61. Andrea says:

Ahhhh……Nothing a can of white paint won’t fix! Turned out fab. Can’t wait to conquer my own drab less than inspiring laundry room. Thanks for the inspiration.

62. Marija says:

Okay obviously beautiful. But the best part is your “lonely socks” basket. I am impressed that I have a basket but the cleverness of yours put mine to shame. As does your laundry room, really….

Beautiful!

63. Mei says:

Thank you so much for sharing! We’re moving into a new home and your tips are a great, great help with our vision of a functional laundry room.

64. Lucy says:

WOW….. all I can say is…. BEAUTIFUL !

65. Joanne says:

Love it! So clean and fresh.. like laundry! :)

66. Aleigh A. says:

Love it!! The colors are so great and I love the stepping stones. Where in the world did you find those? Oh la la the chandy and the shade are my favs I must admit!

67. Oh, those sea glass colors are gorgeous. Exactly what I’ve been dreaming of for a spa like master bedroom :) I adore that drying rack, the stripey sea glass colors on the wall beneath the cabinets and your cute baskets!

68. [...] Kate Gives Her Laundry Room a Fabulous Makeover: Centsational Girl. [...]

69. Maria says:

Can’t wait for the shade tutorial….
    It makes me want to do laundry all day, Great work!!

70. [...] week, I finished the laundry room makeover, and many of you inquired about the window treatment.  Here’s the play-by-play on how I made [...]

71. Nimisha says:

I absolutely love the fabric, where did you get this from?

72. Wow! That transformation is enough to make me want to do some laundry. Seriously…well done. Your laundry room is a breath of fresh air & motivates me to tackle mine. (It’s primed & has been that way since we moved into our house 3ish years ago….I am so embarrassed to admit that. Oh well. ;) Great job!!!!

73. Lauren says:

I love this room!! You have inspried me to get creative in my home this coming week. :-)

74. Louise says:

I LOVE your laundry room! I have a new house & designed my laundry room with the space alloted to me so it’s new & nice but I have yet to pizzaz it up (lots of ideas though). I just want to say that I am loving your chandilier idea… I am mom to four little boys and always looking for a room or two to ‘feminize’ – other than my craft room, I think the laudry room is option #2 :) Well done & I would love to see some of your project ‘recipes’, especially the drying rack! I have a perfect spot for one & currently use the bonus room couch to drape everything on! I seriously adore your lonely socks basket too – how perfect :)

75. Samara Link says:

Gasp * Sigh * Tear. It’s awesome. What a beautiful room! Love the colors and the vibe. What a clean, bright, refreshing space! Super impressed and very curious what process you used for the cabinets. Amazing work and fabulous finished product!

76. Barbara says:

Oh MY! Love it!

77. Tasha says:

Finally finished the laundry room makeover I have been working on since your glorious pics appeared! Here’s a link to the post I put on HGTV’s Rate My Space: http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Other-Spaces/laundrymudroompantry-before–after/detail.esi?oid=16983387

78. Tara says:

This is beyond stunning. I just love your blog!! So inspiring. Great job.

79. Sonia says:

Gorgeous! Where did you get the lonely socks and Fresh & Clean baskets from?

80. kate blue says:

just wanna know if you can come over to my house??? Love the laundry room and wish I had a finished laundry room…{sigh}

81. Beautiful!!! Having a pretty laundry room sure would make you want to stay in there a little longer!

82. LoLa says:

I LOVE it! Makes me really want to do mine over baaaad! :)

83. Laura says:

Love the roman shade and can’t wait to see your how to for this! beautiful job!!

84. Maria says:

Just Beautiful!!! Would you please share how you painted the cabinets??? I have the exact kind and color in my kitchen and can’t wait to paint them!! Would love your input! thanks!

85. amanda says:

where is the chandalier from?

86. Courtney says:

I LOVE this laundry room!! It is just beautiful. :) MY LR is also home to the furnace and water heater… totally unfinished – pipes and ducts everywhere, but it has cabinets and a counter. So, it works.. but will never be pretty. Boo.

87. Christina says:

Thanks for coming and linking your laundry room project up! Painting the cabinets white made a huge difference! And I love the “lonely sock” basket and the zinnia wall hangings. Gorgeous! I just recently redid my laundry room – http://www.centsiblesavings.com/2010/06/decor-on-dime-laundry-room-makeover.html. But I would still love to add a cute chandelier – have my eyes peeled at Goodwill and yardsales for one I can transform.

Love reading your blog!

88. Teresa says:

I only have a laundry CLOSET!! I need to do SOMETHING with it and am not sure where to start! Your room has given me some ideas, but it is still going to be one heck of a challenge!

89. Maria Killam says:

Kate you are so funny, I simply adore your sense of humour! Love this makeover, so, so beautiful!
    xo
    Maria

90. leanne says:

LOVE this laundry transformation!!! I would love to do laundry in here!

91. Krysti says:

I absolutely <3 your blog! keeps me entertained for hours! my project list just keeps getting longer with all these great ideas!

I have been looking for a tutorial for a while now on the roman shades – the ones in your laundry room look great! have you posted the tutorial on it yet? I cant seem to find it, but you mention it in the laundry room reveal – any tips for a newbie seamstress?

Thank you much! Krysti

92. mike says:

Thank you for this blog.

Oceanside Laundry

93. Maria Trader says:

i have laundry room envy. thanks for sharing :)

94. Chessa says:

LOVE your makeover! And the basket for “Lonely Socks,” so cute! I’m working on a laundry room re-do right now. I may borrow a couple of your ideas!

95. Natalie says:

Thanks for the inspiration! I just finished my laundry room and I totally used many of your great ideas!

96. I LOVE this room! I linked to you in my new blog. We are refurbishing a 1958 cottage and looking for all the ideas I can get.

97. nancy says:

Cute, now if I only had a laundry room…. sigh, still in the garage…

98. Morgan says:

Love the make over for your laundry room. Totally rocks! :)

99. Rene' says:

Just found your blog — love it and LOVE this laundry room makeover. I’m finishing up an office re-do over Labor Day weekend, and I think the laundry room is going to be next. Thanks for sharing it with us!!