Easy and Elegant Craft: Jeweled Stemware

May 11, 2010

You knew I was going there.  You knew when I spied those jeweled wineglasses at Chateau St. Jean winery last weekend that I would be forced, literally forced, to recreate the look for less.  Just cause it’s in my DNA.

cg jeweled stemware

I spied some beautiful crystal wineglasses and a gorgeous hurricane on this outing at one of my favorite wineries a few weekends ago.

diy project wineglasses

I literally choked when I saw the price tag.  $75 dollars !  For each wineglass !?  Gag me with a spoon.  I won’t even mention what they wanted for the hurricane.

adhesive sealant

So my little brain clicked into gear.  How is this made ?  It’s certainly not hot glue.  I reasoned it had to be some sort of clear adhesive that would bond to glass and wouldn’t chip or wash off under water.

Off to the hardware store I went.

I found the perfect adhesive for my own version of this stemware.

Silicone !  It forms a strong waterproof seal – it’s designed for use in aquariums.

Because you’ve got to be able to do this.

wash under water

I finished these four crystal wineglasses in under thirty minutes with $13 dollars worth of beads on sale at Michaels.  I purchased the glasses at Pier One for $6 each.  Total cost for four glasses including supplies was $40 dollars.

jewelry beads

Here’s the simple step-by-step on how to make these sparkly stems. 1) Apply a coat of silicone to glass, enough for your jewels or beads to set in.  2) Spread evenly over the top with your finger – be sure to use a latex glove, you don’t want this stinky stuff on your skin.

stemware steps 1 and 2

3) Attach your beads in the design you want then 4) fill in gaps with smaller decorative beads.

beads steps 3 and 4

Allow your silicone to set for a full 24 hours.

Simple !

These are going to my son’s preschool teachers for Teacher Appreciation Day because I know he drives them to drink.

Kidding.  He’s an angel.  82.4% of the time.

cg jeweled stemware on tray

The creative possibilities are endless !  You can use anything puuurty that speaks to you.  Beads, shells, jewels, pearls, stones, or even glass glitter.   Attach your decor to stemware, hurricanes, apothecary jars, anything glass really !

cg stemware

I’m linking up to Kimba’s DIY Day over at A Soft Place to Land, pop on by for more great projects on parade !

47 Responses to “Easy and Elegant Craft: Jeweled Stemware”

1. Chrissy says:

Beautiful! What a great idea! I love the colors of the beads.

2. Richella says:

Bless your heart. You just HAD to make them, didn’t you?

Well, if that’s what’s in your DNA, I’d say you’re in pretty good shape. And I’m sure your son’s teacher will be beyond thrilled!

3. Amy says:

I love them! The colors are so fresh and springy, too!

4. I had a feeling we’d see those again!!!

5. Lisa says:

So pretty! Great alternative to the $75 glasses and they turned out beautiful!

6. Jen Selk says:

Great project. I now want to run out to buy some silicone. And I totally agree. $75 for a wine glass? Ick.

7. I came over from Someday Crafts and these are just gorgeous! I have a lot of wine drinkers in my life and guess what they’re getting for Christmas? The possibilities are endless, and this is a great way to use up leftover beads, especially if you have any that are unique and can make good focals.

8. sarah says:

$75 is crap!! besides, yours look much better. is there anything you can’t do?? :)

9. Janell Beals says:

In your DNA, huh? That cracks me up!! You are probably right, just like when I see something I have to start imagining it as something else. DNA or a disease, it’s up for debate.
    Janell
    p.s. the glasses look fabulous my darling!

10. Alice A says:

Ahhhh Katie, my girl;
    How do you keep doing it????
    You always give me smiles , laugh -out-loud moments ,PLUS inspiration all in one beautiful dose of fun! I think those are truly sensational as only the “centsational girl” could Think ‘em up… and yep… I’m gonna give it a try for my son and DIL for their upcoming anniversary…. great beautiful gift idea!
    Hugs,

11. Sue says:

I knew you’d figure it out. So there is not added layer of protection over the top of the beads? Interesting. Yours turned out beautifully, I’ll be doing this one.

12. candace says:

Very pretty, and the silicone is a brilliant idea!

13. Cheri says:

What a great idea. I will have to try these sometime.

14. They are gorgeous, Kate! And so easy done, I’m truly impressed! I will do it, it’s a sure thing! A fabulous touch to any space!

15. Here you go again! Another darling craft idea.

Let’s up time to meet this summer!!!

xo,
    cristin

16. Gina says:

Amazing…they’re beautiful!

17. ana says:

This is the most easy and gorgeous DIY I’ve ever seen in the hole blog world!!!
    have a nice day!!!

18. Amazing! What a great idea!

19. Cass says:

I just knew that if there was a way to duplicate, you would be able to find it and even make them better looking! These glasses are beautiful and I love the muted colors of yours. With the warmer weather approaching this is a fab addition to my outside entertaining items.

20. Suki says:

Lovely! I love how it adds sparkle.

21. Shelly B says:

Thanks for the great idea! I have beads laying around, well, everywhere. And extra mason jars just waiting to be dressed up. Even have the silicone -there will be plenty left over after replacing the garage door windows…. broken by what else? A soccer ball. :)

22. Sara says:

Ah! I love! Thank you for sharing!

23. I’m definitely going to try this one day! Thanks for sharing!

24. Kiri says:

“Gag me with a spoon”…I feel the same way sometimes! You did a great job recreating those glasses! I like yours even better than the $75 ones!
    ~Kiri

25. Jane Little says:

These are gorgeous! What a terrific remake!

26. Those are super cute!! Love em!

27. Laura says:

What a beautiful idea. So elegant.

Laura @ along for the ride

28. Melinda says:

I loved how you made your own set of wine glasses. They turned out great!!! And it doesn’t look that hard. Thanks for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

29. Tracy says:

This is awesome. I know someone that would love these.

30. Almost spit my water out when I read the part about the preschool teachers. Thanks for the laugh. ;)

They are gorgeous! Your son’s teachers are going to be so appreciative.

31. Karena says:

Kate,

Yes funny about the teachers, great project, so beautiful!! Sounds easy peasy!!

Karena

Art by Karena

32. I must try this! I’m in love with all of your DIY’s…keep up the good work!

33. Beautiful!!! I must try this myself. :-)

34. They are almost too pretty to use.

35. Suzanne says:

Oh my gosh… I LOVE THESE!!!!! I am so making them and will post on my blog…complete with a link back to your fabulous little tutorial. You really are centsational!!!:-)

36. Rachel says:

Wow, these are so, so pretty! Thanks so much for the gorgeous, summery idea, I’ll be linking.

37. Alexia says:

OMGosh!!!! What a GREAT idea! I always gag when I see something PRETTY that I need…umm i mean want (LOL) and always look at the price tag and think yeah right! I bet I could make it! So, its nice to know others do the same! Plus I get so excited when I know how much I $$$ I saved! ;) Love your finished product! Your sons teacher will LOVE them…especially when she finds out that they are hand decorated! :)

38. Tiffany says:

Very cute, I love how you saved a bundle of cash instead of buying brand new

39. Beverly says:

These are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing this idea. One of my favorites in a long time. So pretty.

40. Jewelybelle says:

As a teacher of young children, I think that I would kiss you if I got these. I get so many knick-nacks and stuff that I feel obligated to keep but don’t really have a place for, but these I would use (and show off to all the other teachers…)

41. ginger says:

What a exquisite craft i can’t wait to try it.
    Lord bless you.
    hugs

42. cheryl says:

I love these wine glasses. Do you put the silicone over the beads too?

43. Sharon R. says:

what a great idea! i’ll definitely be re-featuring this gem…no pun intended ;]

44. Elizabeth says:

LOVE this idea. Best DIY idea I have seen in a LONG time. Thank you for posting!

45. Merrie says:

Absolutely awesome! This idea will go great with the Dollar Tree glasses I picked up to etch.

46. Wendy says:

What an awsome idea!!!! We will definitly be making these for our Xmas Craft Show. I’d like to experiment with this idea on a vase! We always have tons of glass vases left over from our annual Flea Market- This could really make a beautiful, one of a kind gift. Because we’re cheap, we could post an add in our agency news letter asking for donations of old jewelry- recycle/reuse! Bits of old jewelry, beads, flat sided glass stones, shells, chains, …… boy, I can’t wait to get started!!! Also a great project for adults with disabilities. Staff can put on silicone and clients put on beads, etc! Quick, easy project with outstanding visual apeal!!! A sure crowd pleaser $$$

47. tracy tammaro says:

I am always looking for great craft ideas that look expensive but are not. These are absolutely beautiful and will make a great addition to ANY decor! Thanks for the post!