Grown Up Girl’s Room

April 7, 2010

There are those years when your kids are growing up that they really want to be in charge of the décor in their room.  And that’s important.  And ya gotta respect that.

So for years and years, my stepdaughter was in total control of her personal space until something happened when she turned 17 – she was ready for a grown up girl’s room, and I was invited to help !  OMG, are you kidding me ?  I get to collaborate on the new space?  For real ?  Pinch me !   I was honored and delighted to lend a decorative hand.

So it was out with the tween decor and in with the girly glam.  We finally got around to hanging some pictures and adding a new chandelier last weekend, so we deemed the space officially ‘done’.  Here’s a tour of the new and improved grown up space for my girl !

Before:

tween before

After:

cg grown up girls room

cg headboard and bedding

My girl loves turquoise so that color stayed put !  We bought her this chair and desk from Pottery Barn many years ago when she was much smaller.  It’s such a great set so we decided to keep it but give it a more sophisticated look.

Before:

desk before

So I added a mirror above, then recovered the chair seat, and added a ruffled pillow.

After:

cg hutch chair mirror

cg frame tulips curtain

cg shelves and boxes

cg starfish

Here’s the other side of her room ‘Before’:

Note: Surfer Girls Rip

surfer girls rip before

After:

cg bed and gallery

Surfer girls still  rip, just in black and white photography (top left).  That’s her learning to surf at age twelve, we were so proud !  *sniffle sniffle sigh*

I framed some of our favorite photos of her growing up, and even her puppy when he was little – that’s her most favorite.  :-)

headboard and gallery

And the silver leaf lamp was last week’s finishing touch.

cg end table and lamp

The botanical print bedding I found at Overstocks many years ago – it worked so well in the room so it stayed – she loves it because it looks ‘Hawaiian’.  Accent pillow from Bed Bath & Beyond.

cg bedding

In fact the bedding worked so well, that I found some Graham & Brown wallpaper to match it.  What are the odds that after buying that bedding three years ago I’d find  complimentary shimmery wallpaper to match the bedding?   Pinch me again!   So I gave her a framed wallpaper accent behind this white hutch that I refinished in oil based paint for her last year.

cg wallpaper and chair

This wallpaper makes me swoon – I want some for my room now !

I also wallpapered the back of the hutch that holds all her special things.

cg graham and brown wallpaper

Isn’t it gorgeous ?

I debated whether to hang anything over the bed, and I’m still not sure.   If we find something we might, but we’re liking the simplicity of nothing right now.

cg chandy and bed

cg turquoise bedroom

So that’s the spin around her all grown up girl’s room.  My girl works so hard at her academics, sports and volunteer commitments, so no one could deserve it more !  We’re just so very proud.

Next time, I’ll share all the little projects that went into transforming this space, plus sources.  Cheerio, lovelies.  Hope you like it as much as she.  :-)

222 Responses to “Grown Up Girl’s Room”

1. Jill says:

Absolutely beautiful room. It’s my inspiration to do our bedroom. Thank You! LOVE your site! Thanks for sharing.

2. You’re hired! What a gift you have given her. It has such style, but still you kept in mind her interests.

3. tiffany says:

PHENOMENAL!! Luv the curtains and the gray mirror da bestest (yea, i make up words)

4. What an absolutely GORGEOUS room! I’m sure she never wants to leave it. All the details you added are perfect. You have a true gift!

~Rachel~

5. So, when are you coming over to re-do my room? :P

6. rachel says:

SO gorgeous!

7. Oh my goodness, can you be my mom too?

8. This is such a beautiful makeover! love it!

9. Kristin says:

Wow, what a wonderful transformation, she must love it!
    Take care
    Kristin

10. Virginia says:

So lovely. Jealous. Can’t seem to get the grown up boys rooms to look like grown up boys rooms. Maybe it is the shear volume of dirty laundry they accumulate!

11. Claudia says:

That looks amazing!!!

12. Freck says:

WOW!! This is so stunning. What a very lucky 17 year old to have such a talented mom! This tranformation is amazing!

13. forcryeye says:

What a transformation! It is incredible! Great job!

14. Emily says:

I’m so glad you posted on her room makeover! Just your peep into her bedside table left me wanting to see more. You did a great job, I’m 29 and wish my bedroom looked like that. You have great taste and great ideas!

15. doreen says:

Stunning! Great job!!

16. Laurel says:

Oh my heavens – that is gorgeous! I love it – everything about it!

17. Tanya B says:

Amazing! I love everything about it. The pictures by the bed — perfection.

18. No way!!! You totally outdid yourself. Her room looks incredible!

19. Amber P says:

I think you must have one of the most beautiful homes I’ve ever seen! I love this gorgeous room. I love the colors!

20. Meredith says:

Absolute perfection for a 17 yo girl. Good for you for doing this room re-do, but, really, for being a great step mom. As one myself, I know that it’s tricky and confusing and oh-so-rewarding.

21. Carolyn says:

I LOVE THIS ROOM. I just painted our guest bedroom almost this exact color, and was thinking of doing black accents. Now that I have seen the grey and silver with this color, I have changed my mind! Thanks for the inspiration!! :)

22. Nancy says:

WOW! I can’t wait for my little girl to grow up so I can attempt to do this for her. She’s only 2 1/2 so I’ll have a long time to plan. I love the colors and the ruffle pillow. I wish I had the same design eye as you to get every detail down. Just beautiful.

23. Charity says:

I want this to be my room. Lucky girl! So fresh and pretty!!! Amazing job. I’m in love.

24. Wow My room isn’t even that lovely!! I think I need your help too : )
    It turned out beautifully!!

25. Andrea T says:

I wish MY room looked like this when I was in high school! Instead, I made it all Asian themed, but fairly poorly at that. I want this for my room now, though. I think the hub would like it, too. It’s very clean and crisp. Just how I want it to feel when I wake up every morning in a dark basement bedroom~

26. denise says:

That is gorgeous. I am sooo jealous. I want that room! You are amazing. Please come over and help me “fabulous-up” my house! Thanks for inspiring me!

27. Stephanie says:

LOVE it!!! I want to live in a beautiful room like this one!!

28. Jennifer says:

stunning, lucky young lady !!

29. This is so beautiful! I with my teenage room had been this nice. The colors are great, and I love that the hutch almost looks like it doesn’t have a back since it’s wallpapered the same as the wall. Gorgeous!

30. decoralora says:

Can you tell us about the pretty window treatments? I love the softness and sophistication of the colors you chose…nice job!

31. Denise says:

Absolutely beautiful! You missed your calling….you should be an interior designer.
    Or….maybe you are! Would you come and decorate for me?!

32. Kate, it’s AMAZING!!!! What a gorgeous room…so sophisticated and special. And I love that you got to do this with/for her. What a gift!

33. Jenny says:

What a redo! I am so impressed with all your ideas and creativity. You mentioned about leaving the space over the headboard empty for now – I agree! It’s nice to have a place for the eye to “rest.” Thanks for sharing – I enjoy your blog a lot and am going to try your window covering plans from the master bath post.

34. It’s gorgeous Kate! Not that I’m at all surprised :). Your girl is a lucky one to have that beauty to romp around in.

35. Misty says:

I am speechless!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!!

36. Erin says:

Absolutely fantastic! You both did a fabulous job getting this room updated to her liking. I love it for myself!

37. LeAnn says:

There are are so many decorating blogs to choose from nowadays and in a lot of ways they have replaced our beloved magazines that have gone away BUT your blog truly is sensational! Your talent blows me away and your style so elegant yet comfy. I applaud you for your talent and I also realize that even though you probably won’t get around to visiting my little ole blog, I just wanted to let you know that your home is fabulous!

38. OMG that is totally awesome!!!! Thanks bunches for the pics!

39. Lynn says:

You are seriously amazing and talented! She is such a lucky girl. I am very inspired to do some redecorating of my own now! :)

40. Erin says:

Absolutely, positively stunning!!! You have such a talent!!! This is seriously a dream-come-true bedroom!

41. Natalie A. says:

You are both so lucky to have each other! I know a lot of love went into this room. Job well done!

Are you already planning a dorm re-do when she goes off to college? :-) Think of the possibilities? Thank you for sharing your gorgeous photos & congrats on your beautiful work!

42. Juice says:

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!! I’m in awe.

I linked to you on my blog the other day. Boy do I wish you lived closer!

43. Brittany says:

I love this room! You have such great ideas!! Thanks so much for sharing. I’m totally linking this to my blog.

44. Leslie says:

If it is possible to love a blogger, I love you. Yours is one of my favorites blogs and always the one that I look at first. Such beauty in this room. No words to describe just how beautiful it is. Lucky girl she is!

45. LauraBo says:

Sooo beautful and serene…. what a wonderful palce for a 17-year old girl to relax and refresh! Just one question… where is her clothing storage? I see the hutch and closet, but am wondering where she stores her clothes (or is it just my 8-year old has too many clothes already?) :-)

46. Meghann says:

Im not sure if you mentioned the wall color or not.. but I would be interested in its name. My little room “needs” to be redone.. well not really but I painted a mural when I was preggers and now I need to change it. I wanted to do turquoise with silver and green accent pieces.. and I love that color you have on the wall. Any info would be great!

47. Danielle says:

So sweet and fresh!

48. jeannine says:

Stunningly Sophisticated!

49. Ellen says:

A wonderful transformation! Good for you! smiles.

50. Jessie says:

The room is STUNNING! I’m so envious of everything, even the amount of sunlight! I’m 26 and I don’t even think my room’s as sophisticated. You’re such an inspiration, thank you for sharing!

51. YES – gorgeous is the perfect adjective for that room. I know she loves it and you!

52. margaret daniel says:

CG, I love your home. Yours in my #1 favorite site. I so wish I lived in Northern California again so I could use your talents and hang out in the wine country. Your trip post are drool worthy. I keep telling my hubby when the kids get older and are off to college, that’s our first couple trip.

53. The wallpaper in the hutch makes it look as though there is no back – which is brilliant! It really lends an airiness to what would normally be a very heavy looking piece of furniture.

Beautiful!

54. Outstanding transformation… this is so elegant!

55. Kate, it’s just beautiful!! Wow, just a perfect room for a teen girl, I can def. see your hand in it. Love, love the wallpaper, in fact, I’ve got my eye on some lime green & white & I’m thinking about using it in my office nook on one wall.

OUtstanding job, my friend! You really know how to put a room together, every single detail.

56. Shea Lynn says:

Kate, the room is SO BEAUTIFUL! I ran through the post twice, drooling. You did an amazing job, and she’s so lucky to have a mama like you.

57. Nancy says:

This is such a gorgeous room. Would love to see how you did the chair. I have some barstools that are similar and would like to reupholster them in the same way. Any pictures?

58. Beautiful! I know she must adore her new room…it’s wonderful and sophisticated! :-)

59. I love it all! SO SO awesome, like I absolutely love it! Sigh. Great job!–not that we’d expect any less!

60. Sylvia says:

What a beautiful transformation and what a lucky girl to have such a gorgeous room.

61. JenB says:

Oh my goodness. Total room envy here. *WANT*

62. Judy says:

AMAZING!! I thought your project office was incredible, but this is way up there as well! I love, love the ruffle pillow. Where did you get it or how did you make it? I’m trying to find a similar one for my daughter’s nursery. :)

63. I’m a grown up girl, will you come do that to MY room too!? It’s simply breathtaking.

64. jackie says:

Beautiful. You gave me inspiration. We are in the process of updating my 2 year old’s room. I want to skip the toddler stuff and go straight towards the grown up girl stuff!

65. Becky says:

Love the room. It’s very calming. And it could really work for any age. Great inspiration!

66. Amanda says:

Love it! It looks like a blissful spa retreat!

67. Melanie says:

It is beautiful and it has your stamp on it definitely;)

68. Rhonda says:

WOW! That is so completely gorgeous… I want to live there!!

69. dina says:

WOW!!! When can you come over and re-do my house. You are amazing. :)

70. Wow! I almost wish I was 17 again to have a room like that….it is that amazing!

71. elz says:

Lovely, just lovely. This room will work well for years to come. Kudos!

72. JEN RAMOS says:

Awesome…where’s the headboard from? I didnt see where you mentioned it. :))))

73. Melinda says:

This room turned out great and looks so grown-up!! Love it!!! Love & blessings from NC!

74. WOW!! it turned out completely stunning! I love it!

75. [...]   HomeMeet KateFeaturedTutorialsPopular PostsSponsorsContactRSS Feed diycraftsbefore & afterrescued & revampedspotlightmy spacesinspirationwine country « Grown Up Girl’s Room [...]

76. Linnea says:

Wonderful! Have you made this change? Beautiful!

77. Cathy M~ says:

Simply gorgeous! Love every inch of it!!!

78. Fawn says:

That is beautiful. Everything looks perfect. Her puppy looks jus like ours–so cute. She is a lucky girl.

79. Just found you through House of Turquoise today – GORGEOUS, really well done! So glad I found this page.

80. Marianne says:

I love this room. We did one of our guest rooms very similarly. Everything is pretty much perfect, but I’ve been seeking a small chandelier. Yours is perfect! Where might I find one like it?

Thanks!

81. Jane Little says:

What a gorgeous and serene room! It’s like a boutique hotel room! I can’t get over how much the color seems to change with the silver accents. It looks so different. Your personal touches and sweet comments about your dd really made me smile! You are a great mom!

82. Thirkellgirl says:

Are the curtains from Target, by any chance? I’ve been looking at some very similar to that and if they’re the same ones I’m going to snatch them up today! Beautiful room!

83. Frankie says:

This is gorgeous! You have some incredible skill! I’m planning to paint my room that color this summer :)

84. AMAZING! If you have any spare time and feel like visiting me in LA and decorating my apartment…haha!

Glad I stumbled across your blog!

85. nataliekaren says:

this room is fabulous. I wanted it for my room!

86. wow! what a beautiful room. i am sure your daughter loves it.

xo,
    cristin

87. Amy says:

I just stumbled on your site and am loving it! I am off to have a look around! Thanks for the inspiration.

88. Romi says:

Beautiful Room and so elegant!

89. jenjen says:

So so Beautiful!! I featured it today!

XOOX
    Jen
    {tatertots & jello}

90. WOW. WOW. WOW.

This is beautiful. Fantastic job. I love it!

91. Lynet Witty says:

OH MY GOODNESS – it is ABSOLUTELY beautiful! Those pictures and that headboard and that comforter are my favorites!!!
    You did such a good job.

92. Jelli says:

This is perfectly lovely! I would love to have a bedroom like that now, and I’m sure Husband wouldn’t even mind. You did a fabulous job, and I can’t wait to see how you did some of those makeovers, especially filling the cushion part of the chair. Thanks so much for sharing!

93. [...] Kate’s Gorgeous “Grown-Up Girl’s Room” Makeover: Centsational Girl. [...]

94. Brandy says:

That is gorgeous! The best bedroom redo i’ve seen in blogland yet. I want that bedroom for my own!

95. THis is seriously gorgeous. What a lucky girl! I love the framed photos and the wall color.

96. Shan says:

Excellent!!!! I love the drapes. Please share where you purchased them from. Thanks!

97. bungalowbliss says:

FABULOUS. So fresh and sophisticated–your daughter must be thrilled!

I’m off to explore the rest of your blog…love what I’ve seen so far. :-)

98. Looks great! Wish I could have this bedroom as my own!

99. Amy says:

oh my goodness, I love this! I LOVE the blue and white together, with the floral prints. So glam!