Grown Up Girl’s Room

April 7, 2010

There are those years when your kids are growing up that they really want to be in charge of the décor in their room.  And that’s important.  And ya gotta respect that.

So for years and years, my stepdaughter was in total control of her personal space until something happened when she turned 17 – she was ready for a grown up girl’s room, and I was invited to help !  OMG, are you kidding me ?  I get to collaborate on the new space?  For real ?  Pinch me !   I was honored and delighted to lend a decorative hand.

So it was out with the tween decor and in with the girly glam.  We finally got around to hanging some pictures and adding a new chandelier last weekend, so we deemed the space officially ‘done’.  Here’s a tour of the new and improved grown up space for my girl !

Before:

tween before

After:

cg grown up girls room

cg headboard and bedding

My girl loves turquoise so that color stayed put !  We bought her this chair and desk from Pottery Barn many years ago when she was much smaller.  It’s such a great set so we decided to keep it but give it a more sophisticated look.

Before:

desk before

So I added a mirror above, then recovered the chair seat, and added a ruffled pillow.

After:

cg hutch chair mirror

cg frame tulips curtain

cg shelves and boxes

cg starfish

Here’s the other side of her room ‘Before’:

Note: Surfer Girls Rip

surfer girls rip before

After:

cg bed and gallery

Surfer girls still  rip, just in black and white photography (top left).  That’s her learning to surf at age twelve, we were so proud !  *sniffle sniffle sigh*

I framed some of our favorite photos of her growing up, and even her puppy when he was little – that’s her most favorite.  :-)

headboard and gallery

And the silver leaf lamp was last week’s finishing touch.

cg end table and lamp

The botanical print bedding I found at Overstocks many years ago – it worked so well in the room so it stayed – she loves it because it looks ‘Hawaiian’.  Accent pillow from Bed Bath & Beyond.

cg bedding

In fact the bedding worked so well, that I found some Graham & Brown wallpaper to match it.  What are the odds that after buying that bedding three years ago I’d find  complimentary shimmery wallpaper to match the bedding?   Pinch me again!   So I gave her a framed wallpaper accent behind this white hutch that I refinished in oil based paint for her last year.

cg wallpaper and chair

This wallpaper makes me swoon – I want some for my room now !

I also wallpapered the back of the hutch that holds all her special things.

cg graham and brown wallpaper

Isn’t it gorgeous ?

I debated whether to hang anything over the bed, and I’m still not sure.   If we find something we might, but we’re liking the simplicity of nothing right now.

cg chandy and bed

cg turquoise bedroom

So that’s the spin around her all grown up girl’s room.  My girl works so hard at her academics, sports and volunteer commitments, so no one could deserve it more !  We’re just so very proud.

Next time, I’ll share all the little projects that went into transforming this space, plus sources.  Cheerio, lovelies.  Hope you like it as much as she.  :-)

222 Responses to “Grown Up Girl’s Room”

1. Sharon says:

Incredible! Really a breath taking transformation!

2. Joyce Poole says:

The room is BEAUTIFUL .. inspires me to WANT to make some changes in my OWN rooms. The only thing I say .. actually was the 1st thing to catch my eye in the 1st pic .. the bed is AGAINST the little round table .. surely the bed could be moved over an inch or two .. just so it doesn’t look as if the round top of the table is on top of the bed covers.

Great job .. would prob have never used the color scheme, but LOVE the softness of it! Do you work for hire?

3. Lyndsay says:

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! You did a truly amazing job!! Where did you find that ruffled pillow?? I am in LOVE.

4. Pilar says:

Hi Kate. I used some of your photos to show this amazing renovation with my blog fans. Of course I put a reciprocal link to your site. http://www.decocasa.com.ar/dormitorio-adolescente-transformacion-turquesa.php

congrats!
    pilar from Argentina.

5. AP says:

I love the shade of paint on the walls. I think you mentioned that the paint colour stayed, but so you remember the colour name/brand of the paint?

Thanks.

6. joanna cohen says:

Simply love it!
    Amazing job!

7. Jessica says:

It looks amazing you did a great job !
    So refreshing and chic your stepdaughter is a lucky girl !

8. Hannah says:

Where did you find the silver frames??

9. Colleen says:

….Great Job…Love that you reused items and still created a knock out room!…Colleen

10. This room is so beautiful! Your daughter is one lucky girl, now can you come decorate mine? :)

11. Michelle says:

Ever since I found your blog 2 days ago, I haven’t been able to leave my computer. This room is beautiful. Did you paint the mirror above the desk or did you buy it that way? I have a mirror I would like to paint a similar color if you know the paint brand/color? Great job! Looking forward to seeing more of your work as I check out your blog.

12. Ali says:

Where did you purchase the silver frames for your step-daughters room?

I love how it turned out! So peaceful and stylish!

~ Ali

13. [...] upgraded my stepdaughter’s bedroom in shades of turquoise and white, added silver leaf to her lamp, and a new DIY tufted [...]

14. Natascha says:

OMG you really are a decor genious and godess! Love this room so much! Making me wish I was 17!!! You daughter must be so happy in this room! Cudos to you!

Natascha xoxo

15. Hi Kate, I haven’t been following you for very long so after reading your latest post I followed the link to this one. Can I just say – THANK YOU!!! My daughter LOVES Sky blue and it as been so difficult for me to find something for girls with only blue and white. I’ve shown her the pictures and she says a resounding YES! Although this design is a little too old for her, you have certainly opened up a lot of ideas for me.

16. Gabby says:

I LOVE this space! I would love it for my own space (as a grown up mama of two). So soothing, simple and beautiful. Great job.

17. Savannah says:

I know the wall color stayed the same, but do you know what the color is and the brand?
    Thanks,
    Savannah

18. rachie says:

BEAUTIFUL!!!! what an inspiration!!! I love looking at your reinventions, creations and make-overs!!! Ive been aimlessly looking at all this new furniture that I need to buy for my home, because Im in desparate need of storage for my childrens room, my kitchen, laundry and lounge that was going to cost us about $10000, now…there is nooooo way i am going down that road….im going thrift store shopping, hardware shopping (to get me all the bits and bobs – thanks to your DIYer’s Tools guide) and i am transforming my drab to fab…oh im sooo excited!!! im soo grateful you have invested your time to share your transformations with us all..Your a GEM!!

19. Aqua says:

I love this room i’m redoing my room myself and I was going to go turquoise and white with purple accents and just wondering what color is your carpet white or cream?

20. Ann says:

Does anyone know the specific paint color used on the walls of this room? I love it but unfortunately can’t locate the name of this beautiful shade of turquoise. Thanks!

Hi Ann, that’ color is ‘Blue Green Jem’ by Kelly Moore!

22. Ann says: