Spring Green Cottage Chairs

March 25, 2010

Last week, I picked up a pair of dusty chairs at a thrift store.  I loved the classic cottage shape and the cheap price, but the finish was so grungy.  I brought them home and sanded them down to the raw wood, removing all the dirt and grime.  Then I gave them a fresh coat of spring green paint !

Here they are Before . . .

chairs before 2

. . . and After

chairs after painted

All it took was half an hour of sanding and and an hour of painting to give them a fresh new look with some paint and a little distressing !

The chairs were covered in grime when I found them.  Ewww.

dirt and grime

Nothing that can’t be solved with some coarse sandpaper . . .

sandpaper treatment

A fresh coat of paint from my stash – this is Dutch Boy #582-03

dutch boy paint

A little distressing along the edges with more sandpaper . . .

distress edges

And that’s it !   I plan to give them a coat of Polycrylic this weekend.

chairs after painted

I love the casual cottage look and the distressed edges !

distressed edges

I simply never get tired of spring green and white.

spring greens and chair

Isn’t the power of paint magically delicious ?

Welcome Spring !

Tags: , , ,

67 Responses to “Spring Green Cottage Chairs”

1. Rene says:

Holy smokes!!! Those things are amazing now! My favorite color! Perfection!

2. Berlin says:

Truly fresh and inviting for this season. A little elbow grease and a can of paint can transform so many things into treasures.
    Please stop by my blog, I am hosting a contest :)

3. gorgeous!!! i just emailed someone earlier today for a craigslist ad for two similar chairs b/c i am having a party next week and need more seating. want chairs that i can paint. Love the green you chose. So happy and spring-y!

4. Judy says:

How pretty!

Judy

5. jenn says:

Beautiful color! I love how springy they are :)

6. Dawn says:

Beautiful chairs – i never get tired of spring green either – even in December, lol. I’m impressed that you could prep them in 1/2 hour, I probably would have added a lot of unnecessary sanding time to that, ugh. I like to torture myself that way, I spose ;)

7. Andrea T says:

Those are gorgeous, Kate. Please send me an identical pair!

8. Jamilyn says:

Wow! They cam out great. I really have to try this. Thanks for the step by step. I come across chairs all the time when I am “hunting” for my home. I will have to get one to try this out.

~jamilyn

9. Amber says:

Love them! Hope I could stumble on some cute chairs at a great price!

10. Kristine says:

Very sweet. I do like me a bit of grundge too though you do need to be careful what you team it with to avoid it looking plain old and nasty! Your green is sublime.
    Kristine

11. Angela says:

They are beautiful! So glad they were rescued and given a new life: )
    Health and happiness,
    Angela

12. I’m LOVING green and white myself. They look beautiful!!!!

13. Love the color you chose and love the backs of those chairs…so simple and pretty.

14. Chris says:

Could you have chosen a more PERFECT shade of green? I think not. LOVE LOVE it!!! The chairs are absolutey adorable.

15. Katie says:

Love these! So pretty! You really did a wonderful job. :)

16. Welcome, Spring, indeed!! :) They look fabulous. :) Loove that green.

17. Beckie says:

I love green and white together. So classic…so spring. Welcome Spring!

18. Tiffany says:

umm, allls u need now is some lemonade and a friend :) well done.

19. Candice says:

I love those chairs…what a beautiful color, too!

20. Christie Lawrence says:

Hmmm… Maybe that green in my kitchen.

21. So cute! Spring green and distressing go amazing together! I’ll have to keep my eye open for some nasty chairs to make over!! great job!

22. Angie says:

You inspire me! I have chairs in the garage that need some work. Thank you! Awesome work!!!!

23. Kacey says:

Very fresh and springy! Transformations like that are so much fun.

24. Wow! What a difference . . . love the green!

25. The chairs look great! I have two chairs from my grandmother that are very similar. I can’t bring myself to paint them because they have a hand painted design on the splat back. Your chairs turned out so well, I just might decide to paint mine. Hmmm, now where to put them.

26. Treasia says:

What a big difference it made in them. I love that color green you chose. So fresh and just perfect for summer.

27. Andrea T says:

By the way, that flower vase is adorable. It looks easy to make!

28. They turned out awesome! Pretty!

29. Annessa says:

I’ve recently found your site and love the eye candy all your decorating ideas are – it’s like I’ve come home! I’ve been struggling with finding my “style” and think I’ve found it in your pages. My new favorite color is that spring green…let’s see, what can I paint with it?

30. Susan says:

Absolutely perfect! What a lovely color too. Greens are my favorite color for decorating. We have green in our bedroom and both bathrooms and I just don’t get tired of it. Great project!

31. Vanessa says:

So you got that ‘green fever’ too? I’m spray painting everything in green around here… and loving it! So refreshing! Your look gorgeous!!!

32. Kim says:

Came out great! Love it! I am a huge fan of the distressed edges too!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
    party inspiration

33. Bonnie says:

That’s perfect! I have an old wooden chair that I knew I wanted to paint, but couldn’t decide on white or black. Spring green is it. I am so excited to get started!

34. laurie eller says:

i love them! you always do such a great job with redos!!! love!

35. KBD says:

You truly have vision because I would have NEVER stopped to pick up those grungy chairs! Excellent job as usual! Beautiful!

36. Richella says:

Just like Lucky Charms! They ARE magically delicious. These look darling now. Enjoy them!

37. Rebekah says:

Love it! I realize it is not the focus of this post, but that little “Les Fleurs” thing with the jar is BRILLIANT! I must make one of those. I have a million billion jars. Leave it to me to be distracted by the accessories! :)

38. liz says:

i love love love it!!! did you make the mason jar flower holder/vase??? if so, can we have an instruction??? i want to copy it for my backyard!!!

39. Love how fresh they look, Kate! I like that green, too!

40. Julie says:

These chairs turned out awesome!! How I love green:)

41. If you can look beyond the finish and see a great shape, wooden chairs are the best thrift store finds. Love the color.

42. Well done!!!! They look totally different! I love the staging around the chairs… so looks like spring! Love it!

43. Mary says:

I love them. I will take two pleasa!

44. I just love the spring green! So fresh and pretty!

45. Jennifer says:

They turned out awesome.. Great chairs. Love the green and especially with the white.

46. Tiffany says:

I love the color, great job!

47. How pretty! I also love the distressed edges. And that soft Spring green color is divine!!
    Blessings,
    Stacey

48. Meredith says:

I love the “cottagey” look of this vignette you’ve created. Perfect!

49. Juice says:

You never cease to amaze me. I think you should rent out space weekly in your house for wanna be crafty folk, so that we can soak up your skillz in person!

50. Melanie says:

Spring hasn’t sprung at our house:( Got a little snow last night.

I really need spring to come. Love your chairs.

51. Michelle Morgan says:

Katie,
    What is polycrylic? And Have you ever thought about restaining kitchen cabinets? We’re buying a house, and they have perfectly new, golden oak cabinets, which are nice, but they just don’t fit our decor (darker woods)… Have you ever restained something like that? Bathroom cabinets or the like?
    Thanks so much!
    Michelle

52. Katie says:

Oh, I love them- they’re gorgeous! Green and white are my favorite decorating colors. Makes me want to go paint something green.

53. maria nissen says:

You don’t need primer? They turned out great. Love the color.

54. […] @ Centsational Girl refinishes two old chairs she purchased at a thrift shop. As with all of Kate’s projects, these look great for a front […]

55. Loribeth says:

They look great!!! Makes me think about a couple of chairs that used to belong to my Grandma. I think my mom still has them. Maybe I should see if she still has them… You’ve given me an idea.

56. Lynds says:

You are seriously my furniture makeover HERO. For years I have been dying to get into making over some pieces in my home and rescuing a few pieces I have put aside in my garage (that have major potential). You have inspired me to give it a go. Thanks so much for the consistent fabulous posting!!

57. Gosia says:

These church were made to sit on that patio – they look smashing there. What a great job!

58. Gosia says:

…chairs, of course, sorry for the typo

59. […] While I was at it, I even painted these inexpensive mini cabinets to hold the kids movies and other toys.  I primed them with the same Zinsser oil based product, then gave them two coats of the new wall color, which is some leftover BM ‘Camouflage’ mixed in with some of the spring green from these chairs.  […]

60. Sommer says:

I’m curious if these will weather the elements with just the paint? Did you put anything special on them to protect them for the outdoor environment. I just moved into a new home with a beautiful front porch and I would love to duplicate this!! You deffinitely have a knack!

61. […] A few months ago, I repainted the kids playroom a pale green color.  It’s a combination of the leftover BM ‘Camouflage’ from the kitchen, mixed with some of the green leftover from these cottage chairs.  […]

62. […] here, but earlier this year, I freshened the walls with a mixture of the Dutch boy paint from these chairs, and the leftover ‘Camouflage’ from the dining room and family room.   The closest […]

63. Debbie H says:

I am overjoyed at finding this Blog and I’ve already shared it with a lot of people. I could almost say word for word what Lynds said above. Seems you’ve inspired a lot of people!! I do have two questions: When to stain and when to paint? and How do you recognize real wood vs. veneers? I am curious about what I should NEVER paint and someone screams “oh gosh, I can’t believe you painted that!” and how you know when you should. Would love an answer from anyone! Thank you!!!!!!!!! Debbie

64. Debbie H says:

BTW – LOVE these chairs! Colors are beautiful!! Going to the Thrift Store this weekend to see if I can find some too!

65. “GREAT” simple step-by-step….

66. […] I love these distressed chairs from centastional girl. […]