Welcome Home Wreath

December 3, 2009

I am so fond of wreaths at Christmastime, aren’t you?  For me, decorating my front door wreath is just as important as the tree.  My favorite front door wreaths are vibrant, festive, and most importantly, welcoming.   When I came across two very different wreaths in my stash of Christmas decor it struck me that they might look marvelous if combined.

believe christmas wreath

I have a ‘spend less, spend more’ goal this December, meaning I seek spend less at the retail stores, and spend more time with my loved ones.

Creating this wreath in about an hour with what I already had at home allowed me to do both.

Thankfully, it came together in one afternoon and cost me practically nothing!  Cha-ching!  I only spent $1 dollar on the “Believe” message in the middle – a sparkly embellishment that I found in the dollar bin at the local Michaels craft store.

I already had these two wreaths, one fir and one berry wreath.

two plain wreaths

I attached them together with some floral wire, then added another 5 foot piece of garland to the back to give the fir wreath some extra poof.

add extra garland

I’m big on mixing faux with real greenery, so I injected some pieces of cedar for color and texture.

add cedar

Attach a few silver glass balls . . .

add ornaments

Insert more berries around the fringe . . .

insert berries

mixed greens

. . .and add a seasonal message.

believe sign

Then I hung it on my trusty 3M hook – highly recommended !

3M hook

Voila !

A welcoming wreath, in one hour.

front door christmas wreath

‘Spend less, spend more’ ?

Mission accomplished today.

Now for some hot chocolate and another Christmas movie. . .

Tags: , ,

44 Responses to “Welcome Home Wreath”

1. Angie says:

I do like the way that you combine the faux and real greenery. I need to update my front door wreath and I really like this idea!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Angie

2. Jacquelin says:

Wow, how simple is that! I love all the ideas from your blog. Thanks!

3. Marty says:

Love your wreath. I am on a spend less mission also and revamped my fall wreath for Christmas with the addition of a few decorations I already had. I love yours with the berry wreath added to the other one and your Believe sign is perfect. Hope to see you at he “Holiday Cloche Party” tomorrow. I will have Mr. Linky up tonight. Hugs, Marty

4. I BELIEVE you did a great job of spend less spend more! Lovely!

5. Melanie says:

I love me some 3M hooks too:)

6. lucy says:

I’m really impressed with this one and heading to the Goodwill for a fake wreath to add to my berry one!Thanks for the inspiration!P.S. the real greenery finishes it beautifully.

7. Elizabeth says:

I love your wreath! I also am a “use-what-you-have-instead-of-buying-more” kind of girl. I will use your wreath as inspiration for next year! Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work. I love reading your blog :)

8. Tammy says:

I need some more info on those great-looking hooks! My hub doesn’t like the over-the-door hangers, and I have a painted metal front door, so I can’t hammer a nail in it. This hook looks like a possibility. Does it leave marks or take off paint? How strong and stable is it? Thanks!

9. Beautiful! I love the sparkly “Believe” in the middle, so appropriate!

10. Karena says:

Beautiful, unique with the style of arrangement and yes I Believe!!

11. Sue says:

This turned out perfectly. I also love to shop the house and change up things I have for the next year. I love the way this turned out.

Sue

12. Fab! I think I have 2 similar wreaths, I’m off to dig in my stash!
    Love the spend more, spend less philosophy. Have a great day.

13. steph anne says:

I just came across your blog and I am absolutely in love with your projects especially this one! I’ll definitely have to try something like this to our plain wreath this weekend.

14. That looks great! You have so many great ideas! When do you have time to sleep? Thanks for sharing!

15. Pat says:

Beautiful!!!

16. Now I see why you’re called Centsational Girl. It’s VERY pretty. I would never be able to do that. Mine would turn out looking like Charlie Brown’s Christmas tree. :-)

Shannon

17. Lisa says:

Beautiful. You are so talented! Everything I see that you do is simply gorgeous! I still can’t stop thinking about your pink mantel…I’m in love with it.

18. This wreath came out absolutely gorgeous!!!!

19. susan says:

That is so incredibly gorgeous! Way to see the forest through the trees :O) I am also a fan of those hooks. My almost four year old son was swinging from it the other day. They are remarkably strong!

20. Tammy says:

That is gorgeous! I love the colors together!

21. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

That looks great, Kate! I like a nice substantial wreath like that on a front door. I like that you mixed in real with the fake and combining the two individual wreaths adds nice dimension. Love this!

22. Dear Kate,
    I’m new to your blog and just love it! I am also a renovator and bit of a do it yourself girl. The wreath post is very pretty–you might enjoy my post yesterday on wreaths in Southampton NY with a Peace theme. Cheers!

23. Glad to see your review of the 3M hook. I was thinking about getting one or two of them. I love the way you mix real and faux stuff…it looks fabulous. :) Gorgeous wreath!!!

24. bec shulba says:

i have been trying hooks that stick to glass for a few years now and have found nothing that can handle much weight – therefore i have a very piddly wreath. thanks for the 3M tip. i may be creating a new wreath this year!

25. Kate says:

It is gorgeous! What is a 3M hook though? Does it totally wreck your door?! Looks fab!

26. That turned out beautiful, Kate!!!! Lovely!

27. Tricia says:

Beautiful! I love the combination of the two wreaths.
    A lovely welcome.

XO*Tricia

28. Ellen says:

Very nice!
    smiles.

29. Robin says:

That looks great! I love that you mixed the real cedar with the artificial wreath!

30. robyn says:

THAT wreath is absolutely FABULOUS! I love your Christmas motto, I think I’ll borrow it if that’s okay. AND I have a leaded glass door and ever since we purchased it, I haven’t put a wreath on but I totally had a SMACK MY FOREHEAD MOMENT when I saw your 3M hook. DUH! I never thought of that! THANKS!

31. El says:

Brilliant idea. Looks lovely!

32. Paula says:

I absolutely love your wreath-what a welcoming touch to your home. Wow! Always inspired by your amazing talent. Thank you for sharing!

33. Holly says:

Fabulous, and the price tag…even better!

34. Cara says:

Very nice. i love wreaths too. i have several on the house now for Christmas. I hate the one on my front door and have been complaining about it for days. You have inspired me to revamp it. If I remember to take pictures I will link to you.
    Cara

35. Anyone lucky enough to visit your home will feel very cherished and special begining right on your door step.

I am still cranking out ornaments and treasures for your party. Please stop by and see my Anthropologie inspired tree topper that I glue gunned to glory.

36. Wow, I just did something very similar yesterday to spruce up our old wreath! Great minds think alike :)

37. Claudia says:

Wow, I’d love to link to this great idea!!very inspiring!!a wonderful greeting!!

38. Krs says:

After seeing this wreath, I looked around my house and yard with new eyes. I grabbed a tacky $2 green wreath, cut branches off the leyland cyprus trees in the backyard. found some holly berries and pinecones and spent an hour making a beautiful wreath. Thank you for the inspiration.

39. Absolutely gorgeous wreath I wish i could buy one for my door!

40. [...] If you want to know how I hang my wreath, I use a trusty 3M hook ~ you can see it up close if you check out last year’s welcome wreath! [...]

41. lesley says:

Wow.. both this years and last years wreaths are so beautiful, I don’t know which one I like best.. maybe the more traditional green & red.. what a clever lady !

42. [...] more time with family and friends.   The ‘spend less money, spend more time’ notion I mentioned last year is again rearing its head when it comes to decorating around the [...]