There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays

December 14, 2009

I had really big plans to fix myself up and to give y’all a video tour of our home this weekend, but as luck would have it, I just ran out of time.  Gosh darn, oh well.  I was able to snap a few photos of some of the decor on display this year, so here’s a glimpse at a few areas you haven’t seen yet.

Welcome to our Holiday Home !

Our front porch is draped in lighted garland and the urns are filled with lighted trees.

front porch from left

I spray painted these urns earlier this year, and for Christmas the lighted trees are wrapped in cedar, and decorated with berries and silver beaded fruits.  I planted some fresh annuals for a nice wintery white contrast.

cedar in urns

On the door is a wreath I made earlier this month

front door christmas wreath

On the side benches are a few simple displays, one with Santa . . .

santa bench front porch

. . . and the other side is a copper beverage container filled with oversized ornaments.

front bench with ornaments

Inside the entryway, our staircase is swaged with lighted fir and fresh cedar, topped with ribbons, berries and jeweled ornaments.

front entry full

garland up stairs

On the highboy in the foyer sits a traditional display and my handmade ornament wreath.

highboy with christmas decor

In the kitchen, I’ve added a fresh wreath, some greenery above the valance (not pictured), and I hung some silver and red ornaments in the window.

kitchen window santa

In the window sits my kids’ first ever handmade gingerbread house.

Aw, shucks, how cute is that ?

homemade gingerbread house

Only to be out-cuted by their Dad helping them build it.

Makes me all tingly and weepy just lookin’ at these guys.

gingerbread

Dasher and Vixen pose in the kitchen window.

dasher and vixen

In between them is a favorite message for the season.

I’ve had this sign for ten years and I fully abide by this slogan at Christmas.

The scale proves it come January.

eat drink be merry

I set up a little candy corner with a medley of sweets.  Believe it or not, these are just pickle and spaghetti sauce jars with the labels removed and the lids spray painted and embellished with striped stickers.

How thrifty is that ?

candy jars

My DIY boxwood kissing ball hangs from our chandelier over the kitchen island.

kissing ball in kitchen

On the mantle above the range is a wintery scene of white lanterns, flocked fir branches, and bright red cardinals.

winter mantlescape

lantern and bird

In the downstairs half bath, I’ve added just a few aqua and silver accents to make this space merrier for us and for our holiday guests.

half bath downstairs

half bath close up

In the living room is our Christmas tree, decorated this year in golds, pinks, and greens.  Underneath is my faux fur trimmed tree skirt I made earlier this month.

christmas tree

fur lined tree skirt final

It’s filled with a medley of favorites, including glittery bulbs . . .

glittery bulbs

mementos from beach vacations . . .

beach ornaments

golden ribbons, stars, and my little frog prince. . .

frog prince

precious old ornaments, and fresh new ones too.

bessie and pink

I covered the tree this year with whimsical golden curly willow that pops right out of the branches.

golden curls

golden curls 3

On grandpa’s baby grand piano sits our ceramic nativity

ceramic nativity

And this trio of golden glittery trees I bought last year.

golden trees noel

On the mantle in the living room  is a display of fresh wreath I made paired with more greenery and this year’s color injection of hot pink.

living room mantle final

apothecary of ornaments

On the sideboard in the living room is a fun display I created of mixed golds, silvers, and more of that pink !

silver and gold sideboard

gold wreath pink box

bowl after

Our living room is just so much fun this year !

So that’s the tour so far friends.  All I have left to do is set a lovely Christmas dining room table, so look for that next week !

front porch with daughter

Season’s Greetings from our house to yours !

I’m linking up with Rhoda’s Home for the Holidays Party, the Nester’s Christmas Tour of Homes, and Sarah’s Christmas Tree Party.  Join me !

Tags: , ,

67 Responses to “There’s No Place Like Home for the Holidays”

1. LKW Austin says:

This is all amazingly wonderful as always. I love the eclectic touches…the tension between your traditional decor juxtaposed against your more modern leanings, like the injection of that wonderful fuschia this year! Absolutely vivid and delightful!

I wish I lived closer (all the way in AL and/or occasionally in Nashville or DC) so I could take you out for tea or coffee or a latte and talk shop. Or shopping!

Blessings and thanks for inspiring soooo many of us. You are truly magnificent at what you do.

Hugs,
    Lana

2. Jery says:

Your house is just beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

3. Hootin' Anni says:

BEAUTIFUL!!

mY tOUR iS nOW sHARED….come by if you can to visit. Happy Holidays!

CLICK HERE FOR DIRECT LINK

4. Paula says:

It looks wonderful! Your children must feel like they are in a magical place right there at home.

5. Kahtleen says:

Your home is beautiful!

Kathleen

6. Beth says:

I like your nativity set, so prettty.

7. Beautiful, for lack of a more beautiful word. :) Love the hot pink.

8. Jo says:

What a lovely home – it gave me a lot of ideas – I hear my family growning now

9. Victoria Kageni says:

Very nice.Makes me wanna “crash ” your home and stay indefinately.Beautiful work.It’s been a lovely year hanging with you.Here’s to many more :-)

10. I love those candy jars! I have some old jars that I knew I NEEDED to keep, but couldn’t figure out what to do with them. You’ve given me great inspiration! Thanks!
    -Sarai (of Three Simple Girls)

11. Stephanie says:

I love what you have done. But where I live we get SO much snow and ice that I don’t think I could ever get my front door to look that pretty. I’d love to get some suggestions from you though. Perhaps you could give me some advice as to what I could do?

Love your Blog!
    Cute family and Happy Holidays! Time to sit back and RELAX a bit now! ;-) You’ve been very busy.

12. celia says:

What a cozy and beautiful home for Christmas! Enjoy!!!!

13. Everything looks beautiful. My favorites are the sideboard, your mantel and, of course, the gingerbread house. It brings back fond memories of making them with my kids when they were small. Somehow my teenagers aren’t all that interested in fashioning little homes out of cookies and candy anymore!

14. I so want to move in with you. Seriously.

15. Lovely, Kate! So many wonderful ideas!

Merry Christmas, sweet friend!

16. Pat says:

Absolutely beautiful! It’s difficult to say which area is my favorite, however, I think the hot pink touches are stunning…and I’m not a pink person. :-) Seriously, your home is warm, joyful and inviting.

17. one word…WOW! This is my first time at your blog and I’m LOVIN’ it!! And I used a little hot pink this year too (on my tree – which I forgot to include photos of in my blog post….NICE) so I feel we’re kindred spirits. Anyway, I’m following you now. Thanks for the fab tour!

18. Leeann says:

Wow you have been busy making all the decorations, looks fabulous.

Leeann

19. Tiffany S. says:

GORGEOUS!

I’m quite happy living vicariously through you since I have absolutely no time or inclination to decorate for the holidays. I’m glad someone does.

Your work is stunning and your family is so lucky!

20. lovely! and I really like the punch of hot pink!!

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Amanda

21. Carmen says:

Everything is seriously gorgeous!!!! I love all of the colors you’ve used.

22. Karena says:

So beautiful all of your decor, love the urns, the candle globes, the Santa. greenery, too much to mention. Great work…especially using all of the pops of fuchsia!

23. Lindsay says:

So cute! Love the gold & pink especially! :)

24. Tanya says:

The sideboard is my fave! Love the silver/golds/pinks! Can’t wait to see your holiday table;o)

25. Shelia says:

Your home is so beautiful! I love how you’ve decorated it and have enjoyed my tour of your lovely home.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

26. Heidi says:

I love how you use the glass jars for candy holders! I have a ton of mason jars left over from my wedding this summer, and now I have plans to use them this holiday season. Thanks for the idea!

27. homeclynn says:

Great Job! Looking at all your pictures makes me shout “Happy Birthday Jesus” which really was the point!

28. Your home is just beautiful! May many wonderful Christmas memories be made within its walls.

Our home is having an old fashioned handmade Christmas this year. I hope you will stop by.

29. Christina says:

Your home is gorgeous and so are the decorations for Christmas!! That is an impressive gingerbread house! Every time I tried to make one it came out disastrous! Beautiful job :)

30. Sarah says:

Kate,
    Your home is just beautiful! I especially love the foyer with the crisp white and red against the dark wood highboy. Not to mention that gorgeous ornament wreath hanging on the mirror. It is so pretty, warm and welcoming!

31. Sue says:

It is all beautiful…but that living room…outstanding. I love the “pop” of pink, fabulous!

32. Janell Beals says:

Oh, there are the photos of your console again…absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous! Janell

33. Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions says:

I love the hot pink, Kate! Sometimes it’s nice to throw something into the mix other than the traditional red.

34. Melanie says:

Everything looks beautiful. Since I am skipping Christmas because of the move, I am going to enjoy yours and all of my favorite bloggers decor. I love your candy and cookies in the jars. Very cute idea.

35. Oh, Kate, your house is one of my very favorites that I’ve seen in all of these bloggy tours! Your kitchen is so welcoming…LOVE the “Eat Drink and Be Merry” sign!!! I need to make one of those. :) Your tree is really really beautiful, and I like how you have some sentimental ornaments mixed in with your color scheme. And of course I think your living room sideboard area is to die for since I’m so into the girlie colors this year. :)

36. Joyce says:

I love your style!!! Where on earth did you get that jolly Santa? I’m in love with him!!!

37. Lori says:

I am in love with your house and it’s holiday decor’! It’s beautiful and so inspirational! I’m still decorating even after a week or so of starting. I’ll continue right up until Friday or Saturday! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful home with us.

38. Frugal Jen says:

Everything is perfect! What a wonderful Christmas home you have.

39. Meg says:

I love the garland on the staircase, so classic and elegant! Those ornament wreathes seem to be the in thing this year, I think I may have to make one for next year! Hopefully they will be popular come a year from now too! Happy Holidays!

~Meg

40. Roeshel says:

Your entire home is just so beautifully decorated for Christmas. I really love the hot pink and your entry way. Everything is so festive. I love your style. Thanks for sharing your inspiration in the DIY holiday party too.

41. Sarah says:

I LOVE those candy jars from pickle and sauce jars. brilliant! I always keep my glass jars knowing there will be something to do with them (but I think it’s driving my husband nuts because they’re all cluttering the cupboard under the sink. Hoorray! Thanks for the wonderful ideas.

42. Berlin says:

I am so thrilled to have discovered your blog yesterday and thank you for all the wonderful inspiration and decor ideas you provide!

43. YOur home looks like a scene out of a movie. Everything looks wonderful. My favorite is the sideboard that I already commented on and the highboy! I love the touches you added to your poised couple. Merry Christmas!

44. m says:

Your mantelscapes are IT!!!!!!!!!

m ^..^

45. Jen says:

The cedar is wonderful. Love the baubles hanging from the stairway garland! Oh, I could go on and on… Merry Christmas!

46. Linda says:

Love it all…beautiful….was wondering if you have a tutorial on how you made that awesome ornament wreath? …..i’ve been searching your site…no luck….please please do tell…i’d love to do that project with my kids…thanks again for sharing your lovely home…beautifully done!!

47. Supablogga says:

beautiful!!! sweet gingerbread house pics!

48. jodi says:

Especially love the kitchen window!

49. Polly says:

Everything is so beautiful. I scrolled through the pictures several times. I love the mantle with all of the purple……………and I’m not a purple fan, but it’s just gorgeous.
    Great job!

50. Kim says:

My favorite area is the one with the pink accents.

51. Beautiful home, family and decorations! Your colorful mantel is gorgeous. Thank you for the lovely holiday tour.

Merry Christmas and many blessings in 2010.

Cristin

52. DeAnna says:

How wonderful to live in your home durinng the holiday season…what love you have shown for your family. Thank you for sharing!

53. wow what a fabulous tour! I am truly in awe of it all, only wish I could perhaps drop by for an Eggnog?

our little cottage is oh-so-very-much more humble than your beautiful home, but I am especially inspired by your sideboard

Merry Christmas to you!

Sarah

54. Holly says:

Incredible, as usual. Love the pink! And your bulb wreaths look fab!

55. Hi there! I just love everything you have done! Personally, I am considering ripping my glass jars back out of the trash can as I type. I always want to reuse them somehow! Your home looks fabulous. Glad I picked you to check out on the Nester’s tour of homes!

~Misti

56. summer says:

Drooling all over my keyboard here! Just gorgeous!!!

57. ALena says:

SOOO GORGEOUS!

I love all of your Christmas Decor … especially all of the bright purple ornaments … sooo beautiful!

Love how you have a different theme going on everyone …. I’m in LOVE!

58. Your home looks so cozy. Pink! I love it! I am stopping in from Nester’s place. To see my tour click on the ‘Christmas 2009′ tag on the left sidebar of my blog

59. [...] Marci @ All Things Wonderful238. Heather @ Marine Corps Nomads239. Erin @ Thimble Ambitions240. Centsational Girl’s Holiday Home Tour 241. Cheri Quite Contrary – Christmas Tour242. TheManyFacesofMom – Pampas Frond Tree243. [...]

60. Michelle Morgan says:

Hey Katie – I have an autumn wreath, and a door like yours – Can I ask you how you attached this beautiful Christmas wreath?

61. Christa says:

Beautiful! Where did you pick up the glittery gold Christmas trees last year?

62. Joanna says:

Your house is absolutely stunning! I can’t wait to see your set up for this year. I almost don’t want to show my mom your pictures because she might cry…..she loves decorating for the holidays but I know this will make her think twice about her decorations :)

Merry Christmas!

63. audra says:

Ok U must tell me where u got Dancer and Vixen i just heart them……………..

64. Melesa Garrison says:

I love the pink and lime green ornaments! Your house is just beautiful, plus you have the touch ;) I look forward to the pics in the dining room after Christmas.

Hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!