Hand Painted Table Runner

November 5, 2009

It’s Tablescape Thursday over at Between Naps on the Porch.  Perfect timing for my newest creation, a hand painted table runner.

hand painted runner

I’ve always wanted to play around and get creative with fabric paint.  Spotting a few bottles of metallics at Michaels last week and some very pretty beads, I decided I wanted to personalize a table runner for my small Thanksgiving crowd.

I started with a scrap of leftover satin fabric, some beads and metallic paints.

supplies

This project can be done with any plain store bought runners, but I made my own no sew silky table runner with some Stitch Witchery.

scrap and stitch witchery

I also made the underlying tablecloth with a leftover piece of suit fabric from these pillows.  Again, just a hot iron and some Stitch Witchery for an easy peasy tablecloth !

suit fabric tablecloth

For the runner, I mixed some of my paint into a soft golden green shade, then applied painter’s tape to the edges.  Two coats of paint later, I had a nice stripe down the side.

paint trim of fabric

I used the stencil from this writer’s desk project and lightly sketched a pattern by hand with a pencil.

stencil and pencil

Then I started to sweat cause it was time to put paint to fabric.  So I worked up a few practice strokes just to get ready.

practicing

Trying not to shake and being oh so careful, I used my brush to follow the pencil marks.  Sweating… high anxiety here.  No room for major mistakes.  Minor imperfections were to be expected.

hand painting swirls

Whew, I finished without spilling glops of paint all over.  That alone was an accomplishment.  Then I used fabric glue designed for attaching appliqués to secure the beads to the runner.

no sew glue

I’m not 100% convinced this glue will last through a delicate wash cycle, so I’m thinking this may have to be dry cleaned.  Or I could just fahghet-about-it and throw it in one of those lingerie bags and see if they all come out in the wash…   Will have to report back on that one.

Anywho, once I pulled up the painter’s tape I was pretty surprised to find a very clean line down the edge.  Yippeeee !  It worked !

detail up close

I also added some painted pinecones to the table to give it a natural yet polished look.

Gasp !  She did what ?  Yep.  I spray painted some pinecones that I brought home from this recent trip.  I used a collection of leftover paints from past projects.

Antique Bronze paint from this table project

bronze pinecone

Cinnamon paint from this wreath project

painted pine cones

And London Gray paint from this dresser revamp

london gray pinecone

Note:  I did add a light layer of gold spray paint to the top two.

So here’s my Thanksgiving tablescape in progress so far.  Of course I’ll have to expand the table to make room for ten, and it will still need more trimmings on Turkey day, but this is a good start !

hand painted runner

bronze candlestick and pine cones

I picked up these golden bronze candlesticks at Michaels last year on sale after Christmas.  The silver edge Lenox china is all from my wedding ten years ago.  I like mixing metallics these days.

hand painted table runner

I am loving these new napkin rings from Pier One – so much so that I am sure they’ll reappear on my Christmas table.

napkin ring crop

ring and glass

tablescape crop

And I’m linking up with Between Naps on the Porch’s Tablescape Thursday.  Click on over to witness the most beautiful Christmas table in a room filled with red, white, silver, and sparkly ornaments.  Perfection !

Tags: , ,

36 Responses to “Hand Painted Table Runner”

1. Kitty says:

Yikes. Everybody is so ahead of me on the Thanksgiving planning stuff. Gotta get on this!

2. Kate says:

Ooh thats really pretty! I can’t wait to decorate my table when we finally move in! I made a cement planter..well I made two but the first was a disaster! The second looks good..just need to paint it now!!

3. Love it! But I must know – how did you get the pine cones to stand up so straight?

4. helen says:

fantastic! you never cease to amaze me….I might be inspired to try one. what fabric did u use for the runner?

5. What a beautiful table, I love all the soft colors! The runner really sets the tone~beautiful! Don’t worry, I’ve spray painted a pinecone a time or two in my day! :)

6. Marty says:

It looks just wonderful. I havn’t tried fabric paint, may have to do that. Yours turned out gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

7. Martha says:

Wow! I’m impressed! This is so pretty – I love your tablerunner! Everything turned out beautifully.

8. I am in love with the mixed metallics. So cool. Almost makes me wish I was hosting Thanksgiving. Yeah, maybe not. :)

9. Pat says:

Beautiful! I love metallics too. You are so creative and yes, far ahead of me right now. :-)

10. Colleen says:

Ah, you beat me to it! Beautiful job! I was going to paint fruit for your Thanksgiving guest blog, but yours is even better. Love it!

11. What a warm and inviting Thanksgiving feast it will be! Love the metallics and the jewels on the runner. Beautiful!

12. anh says:

oooo pinecones! what a great way to spice up your table!

13. m says:

Way to go!!!!! That is sooooooooo pretty!!

m ^..^

14. Allison112 says:

I have those same napkin rings in red for my autumn table spread. So funky fun!

15. I love the metallics. This table setting could carry you through the holidays.

16. Gorgeous, Kate! I love mixing metallics too. You are one whirling project machine, girlie. I don’t know how you do it all. I can barely get my house cleaned up lately.

ENjoyed your hub’s post too! Who knew you were growing your own grapes & making that wine. Very neat!

17. Mimi says:

Beautiful, beautiful table!

18. Nothing equals the power of a contact paper stencil! Lovely project, Kate!

19. Really nice, Kate! I actually thought the border color was part of the fabric when I saw the first picture ~ nicely done.

20. Sherri S says:

Beautiful! I love the painted idea. Your table is GORGEOUS! I have added some pine cones this year around the house and am loving them.

21. A little glitz and glam are going to make for a lovely and fun holiday!
    Susan

22. oh what a fantastic idea, i LOVE it! love your style too~

23. Molly says:

Everything looks lovely! I like the mixed metallics.

24. Jen says:

Lovely! I wish I could see inside your head at all the ideas just whirling around :) I really should make more of an effort at the holidays, but the kids don’t appreciate it yet…

25. Lisa says:

The runner and the entire set up is just perfect. Terrific project, thanks for sharing.

26. I LOOOOOVE the runner. I would never have thought to paint pine cones either – love it!

27. Heather says:

the table runner looks so pretty. I love mixed metallics, too. your whole table is great:)

28. Great project! :) I think you did a great job with hand-painting. I get nervous when I have a brush in my hands too. I love the “tinted pinecones.” They are so cute all dressed up for Thanksgiving dinner. :)

29. Sue says:

I’m impressed. I’m an accident waiting to happen anytime a paintbrush is in my hand. It turned out really well.

Sue, I see an accident waiting to happen when someone spills their red wine or cranberry sauce on it. But with my luck, it will probably be me !

:-)

31. love how it turned out, you are very talented…and love especially how you styled the table

:-)

Sarah

32. Leisel says:

I love the idea of mixing metallics. Your runner turned out beautifully. I love the simplicity of it. Have you tried FabriTac glue? It is a-ma-zing. It’s completely washable and I’ve loved it since my mom introduced me to it. We go through it like crazy because it’s that good. Check it out here:

33. Sarah says:

You must be so proud of yourself. The table runner is beautiful and the table is fabulous! ~ Sarah

34. Melanie says:

So talented and creative. The table looks great. You have a lot of patience too.

35. Eileen says:

A wonderful table, Kate. I love the gold and silver pine cones. And your hand painted runner turned out great. Everything looks dreamy.