Pumpkins on Parade

September 11, 2009

I adore stylish groupings of unusual pumpkins on tabletops and porches.  This early in autumn, I am not interested in anything carved – after all, that’s what October is for.  Rather, I am drawn to the creative use of still life, branches, leaves and gourds to welcome the cooler weather.  Here are some of my favorite images of porches and centerpieces that require no carving whatsoever.

From Sunset Magazine:

sunset yellows

sunset porch pumpkins

sunset tabletop

sunset pale greens

sunset fall tabletop

sunset whites

From Better Homes & Gardens:

bhg fall window swag

bhg garden party dahlias

bhg natural art pitchforks chair

bhg patchwork paint

bhg natural sculpture

bhg address (I would paint these numbers, not carve them)

bhg painted pumkins

From Country Living:

country living cloches

This one’s for Marty’s cloche party !

country living sculpture

country living green gourd

country living urn

country living in kitchen

country living urn and pumpkins

From Eddie Ross:

eddie white pumpkin

From Martha Stewart:

ms autumn planter

ms owl pumpkin

ms trio centerpiece marbled paper leaves

ms glitter pumpkins

ms squash pear conucopia ms outdoor bouquet

Are you inspired?  I am.  You know what I am thinking?  I’ve seen the idea of metallics floating around and I love it !  I’ll probably glaze some gourds in subtle shades of taupe, champagne and bronze.  Inject some succulents.  Embellish with glittery ribbons.  Add some hand painted elements.  We’ll just see wherever the creativity strikes.

Have a great autumn weekend everyone !  Fall leaves, football games, crisp evenings.  Don’t you just love it ?

35 Responses to “Pumpkins on Parade”

1. deezie says:

Loved all those photos, I adore Autumn its my favorite time of year, I think its time to decorate this weekend:)
    how is your daughter feeling?
    deezie

2. Kelli says:

Incredible displays!! Can’t wait to secure a few pumpkins and begin to decorate!!! Definitely inspiring!!

3. i can’t even think fall decorating yet. It’s still so hot here in NC, but I always wait and then can’t enjoy the fun for long….I’m on it. :)

4. Shelia says:

Oh, what beautiful displays of pretty pumpkins! Love it. Is fall here already? :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

5. Lynn says:

My neighbor brought me a beautiful white German pumpkin that has aged to a pinkish pink color. It has been fascinating to watch it change over the past month. My favorite is that heirloom pumpkin that looks like pink and gray damask, spectacular all on it’s own!

6. Amanda Eck says:

yes I too am coo-coo for pumpkins. I pull mine out the end of August- I force fall to come to Texas! We dont see cooler weather till Oct./Nov *sigh*

7. Jamara Robinson says:

I love autumn! The leaves, the smells, the sounds, everything about it from high school football to the leaves to the taste & smell of a hot pumpkin latte. YUM! The ideas you posted are fabulous, I can’t wait to see what happens when you put your own creative twist on them. Do share!! Happy Harvest!!

8. I LOVE fall, it is my favorite time of year. It’s a little warm here in GA but that’s okay. So ready for the leaves to start changing colors and the days and nights to get cooler. Time to start decorating for the season!

Have a wonderful weekend!

9. I was thinking of doing something similar with the #’s by putting my address on two outside the front door. I thought maybe vinyl numbers, but I couldn’t find them last weekend at Michael’s, so I may have to stencil. I like the ones that are placed on something from the little ones sitting atop the terracotta pots to the larger one sitting on the urn.

10. shannon says:

I love pumpkins! I cant wait to bring out mine next month.

11. anh says:

pumpkins! i love them. i have a few wicker pumpkin shaped ones. can’t wait to pull them out!

12. anh says:

p.s i posted a before and after pic of my DIY chair project. come by my blog and check it out!

13. Sarah says:

Thanks for all the gorgeous photos! I love using nature as inspiration, especially in the fall. There’s something so simple and beautiful about pumpkins:) Yay!

14. anh says:

thanks for stopping by. you are my inspiration :)

15. Ohhh I love them all! But those plaid pumpkins? The cutest things ever.

For the past several years I’ve done all white pumpkins and love it. But this year I’m thinking of doing all metallic! Gold, silver, bronze, copper… Can’t wait to get started.

16. Sue says:

I love white pumpkins, but it is still a bit early around here to find them. You have given me some great ideas.

17. Fabulous inspiration photos!!!! I am in love with just about every one. Saving this one in the “ideas” file for sure. Thanks for doing the research for us. ;)

18. Meredith says:

I absolutely AM inspired. I love the white pumpkin vignette. How could I not know there was such a thing? Thanks for my daily inspiration. Finally decided I had to jump into the Comment Pool! It’s nice in here!

19. Jenny says:

Beautiful pics! I am looking forward to Fall!

20. Amy says:

Oh My! So many ideas! So many things to try!!

21. Claudia says:

Awesome – you’ve already got me hooked on spray paint so I’m ready to paint some gourds!

22. Kim says:

Great pumpkin inspiration. Bring on fall!!!

23. erin says:

these are beautiful. thank you for gathering all the inspiration :)

24. Wendy says:

Those are all so gorgeous. I just love pumpkins. Isnt it amazing how many different kinds there are? I WISH it was fall here. Still in the 90s/upper 80s.

25. I love the variety and how all the pumpkins are used. Simply beautiful. I am adding this to Mr. Linky on a post about pumpkins at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com Great blog!

26. Yansy says:

I love them too. I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend. I would like to invite you to come and participate in my giveaway.

27. Pony Girl says:

What fun ideas, thanks for rounding them up! I am especially digging white pumpkins this year! And the Martha ones- are “so Martha!” :)

28. Kim says:

My friend gave me 3 pumpkins from het garden the other day. I was not yet sure what to do with them, but now your post gives so much inspiration that I am probably short im pumkins! Thanks for all the lovely ideas.

29. melissa says:

pure pumpkin loveliness!! Are you doing a nailhead trim party next week, or am I smokin’ something? Have a great rest of the weekend~

30. Love love love! Pumpkins are so much fun!

31. Maria Killam says:

I was reviewing my google analytics and I saw your blog with all these hits over to mine, and here you are with me on your blogroll! Thank you, I added you instantly, and I love your blog, this post, simply stunning, I bought 3 little baby white pumpkins but now I see what I should have done! Love the white ones with the yellow on the first image too!
    xo
    Maria
    Colour me Happy

32. I love the gourds and pumpkins … they are so easy and have so much color & character. Of course towards the end they go nicely into a casserol pan around the chicken!

33. Mama B says:

I love your blog. I’ve recently started following you on my new blog, littlelizardking.blogspot.com
    Thanks so much for sharing such creative ideas!

34. kathy says:

love seeing these pics and your other decorating posts. thanks for the inspiration.