Vacation at Home: Master Shower

August 30, 2009

For the last few years, my entire family of five has been sharing one small shower/bath combo in the hall bathroom.  Even though we added on to the house in 2006, we still only had only a partially completed master bathroom.  For years, the master shower was nothing more than a storage closet.  Not any more!  I’m talking about 35 square feet of pure bliss that we just finished tiling last week.

And my dream for just a bit of Oceanside glass tile finally came true.

Hello gorgeous.

oceanside glass tile up close

Two weeks ago, the shower was in a very raw state, having only waterproofed sheetrock and a tar floor.  We started byhaving to resolve some plumbing issues and mortar the floor.  As much as I would have loved to DIY, this massive space was out of my league.  It took an entire week for our professional tile installer to cut all of the tile, mount it, grout it, seal it, and trim out the plumbing.

Choosing the tile was challenging as well.  It’s a big decision.  My personal style is all about classic design with a modern twist, and all of my inspiration files led me back to traditional white ceramic tile.  I love spa blue and white in a bath.  And since the cabinetry is all dark walnut stain, the white is a nice contrast.

In the end, I chose bright white field tile applied in a brick pattern.  But for modern color and drama, I splurged and mixed in that stunningly beautiful Oceanside glass tile. The installed selections are from five different manufacturers and four different tile vendors.  Take a peek inside.

Before:

shower before

After:

master shower after

I can tell you this right now.  I don’t think I need to go on vacation for quite some time.  I’ll just camp out right here in this 35 square foot space.  I honestly feel like I just hit the lottery.

Check out this stripe that wraps around the wall.  And I just want to reach out and touch these white ceramic deco tiles.

wall stripe

ceramic in wall stripe

This floor includes a non-slip 100% recycled glass tile by Vidrepur made especially for shower floors.  It is trimmed in glass mosaic ‘Aquamist’ by ADEX, the same tile that I used to trim my master bathtub.

floor tile

We designed a sit down bench for resting and enjoying the steam function.

bench

In the original plan, we made space for both a traditional shower head, and a rain shower over the bench.  Yes, I said a rain showerhead over the bench.

If I’ve gone missing, you can find me right here.

shower two rain

I love the extra storage we receive with the shampoo bottle squares inset into the wall and trimmed with more glass mosaic.  I’ll squeeze out extra storage wherever I can find it.

shampoo inset

This third handheld showerhead is for rinsing off our little bundles of joy.  But they’re not quite allowed inside yet.

handheld

And I’m keeping it real, so take a look at what we’ve been tripping over for three years in the narrow hall shower.

kids narrow shower

But this tile more than makes up for three years of plastic toys between the toes.   I am loving the iridescent quality in even the softest evening light.

oceanside glass

Someday soon, we will install a shower door, so that the steam unit can do it’s job to transport me to a faraway place.  But for now, just having a grown up shower is vacation enough.

6×8 field tile: Daltile from Home Depot;  Stripe: Oceanside Glass tile custom blend; Floor tile: white anti-slip by Vidrepur; Floor trim tile: ADEX ‘Aquamist’.

25 Responses to “Vacation at Home: Master Shower”

1. Beckie says:

That tile is to die for. I am loving it..the niches…the space…the steam…pure bliss.

2. Stephanie says:

Wow. That is absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE that blue tile. You are one lucky lady.

3. Tina says:

Beautiful!!! I wouldn’t want to leave it either! ;o) How awesome it turned out!

4. Angie says:

This is beautiful. Just my style. I love your new website redesign too!

5. Heather says:

At the risk of sounding like a complete psycho…I have a huge bloggy crush on you. I have spent hours on your site and love your ideas. We just moved and I have a budget of ZERO dollars. Literally. You’ve inspired me so much and helped me decorate my house with no money just by thinking out of the box a little. Thank you. My husband thanks you. Our budget thanks you.

6. Lisa says:

Excuse the language – but HOLY CRAP!!!!
    I’m am in total shower envy. I love the bench and the little shelves. How wonderful. I even like the multi use bench that would be great for shaving ones legs ;) My favorite tile ever has to be glass mosaics. I used them in my own powder room and the backsplash in the kitchen. Maybe one day I will have a wonderful shower stall like yours.

take care,
    Lisa

7. Maman Tattoo says:

That is very lovely! Those coolers are to die for!
    Très spa-like

8. Flick says:

Oh I love this! perfect combination of the colours and white. I look forward to creating an amazing room like this soon.
    thanks, Flick

9. That’s a beautiful shower, Mosaic looking.

I couldn’t afford putting that much time into mine so I installed a Bath Steam Shower. It is a free standing unit that works well with my space. Very happy!

10. Christina says:

It’s beautiful! I LOVE the built in shelves.

11. Susan says:

Susan

12. Jackie says:

Beautiful bathroom. very inspirational!

13. [...] we finally tiled our master shower a few short weeks ago, I was determined this past weekend to finally put some finishing touches on [...]

14. Lolly says:

This is to DIE for! So dreamy!

15. [...]    That listello and brick pattern white ceramic tile you see is just Daltile from Home Depot, right off the shelf.  Notice even more of my ‘undermount’ trim mosaic tile – the same tile that trims the floor in the neighboring master shower.  [...]

16. Robin says:

That turned out so great!….I love love love that glass tile

17. [...] you’ve also seen the master shower before.  Whew, was this a chore to tile [...]

18. welcome « says:

[...] Currently, I am shooting pictures of Fall in north west boston, and also continuing the renovation of my new home in south east Massachusetts. Renovating a 1940 cape, I will be custom designing the interior, and posting the images in my interior decor section. A sneak peak of the progress includes a clawfoot tub that I salvaged off of craigslist and multi colored glass accent tiles. [...]

19. Ann says:

Whoa!!! Thats an amzing shower … I am bookmarking this page and someday there will be one EXACTLY LIKE IT IN Southern California. Just wanted you to know.

20. vincente rivera says:

shower looks great!!!!!! I did tile for 10 years and have had to fix other peoples glass tile nightmares, so I know that that job was not an easy one. It took some time, SAY about 3 weeks or so. RIGHT.

enjoy your shower I have a crazy mountain scene mural wall that I’m whipping up on paper to do in my own home in the next year or so. but great job on your shower.

21. Melanie says:

This shower looks wonderful and totally what I would love down to every last detail! Beautiful! You did an awesome job! :-)

22. Lazy Gardens says:

Drool!

I love the way you mixed the budget-friendly field tiles with the spendy accent tiles.

23. Terez says:

Fantastic! Where did you get the white-on-white bas relief art deco accent tiles?

24. Jen says:

I love that accent tile in the “hello gorgeous” photo. Where can I find it?
    Great job!

Hi Jen, the tile is from Oceanside!