Thrift Store Highboy: Elegant UpDo

June 22, 2009

For years, I’ve wanted to bring some glamour and elegance to my foyer.  It’s the first impression for guests, and it has been nothing short of dull for quite some time.  Since our entry is only ten feet wide, I also wanted to bring reflective light and shimmer to the space as well.

Last week I hinted at the fabulous highboy dresser I picked up at the Goodwill for $35.  Lucky me, it had only been on the floor for thirty minutes before I snatched it up.  SCORE !  With a bit of stain and some new hardware, I brought this wonderful vintage piece into the modern age, and gave it a special new glow.

Here’s the foyer Before and After:

Here’s how it all happened.  As you know, I frequent the local thrift stores looking for treasures.  I chanced upon this solid wood new arrival and hustled – no I seriously ran – to the cash register to buy it before anyone else could, with my poor little boy shouting “Mooooommmmiieee waaaaiiiit” as I dragged the poor little guy behind me.  I spent part of my weekend giving this piece the TLC it needed.

Re-staining Previously Stained Furniture:

Step One, Sanding:  Give your piece an all over good sanding, removing all varnish that may exist.  Wear a disposable mask so as not to inhale any microscopic dust.  In my case, I sanded the highboy by hand with coarse, and then medium, grade sandpaper.  (My electric sander, although faster, would have been too rough on this delicate piece.)  Work with, not against, the grain of the wood.  It took over an hour to fully sand this dresser, but hey I look on the bright side:  I got a great upper arm workout.

Step Two, Conditioning:  I’m a Minwax fan, so if you want to create better absorbency in your wood, you can consider using a wood conditioner like Minwax Wood Conditioner.  Grainy or gnarly woods like oak or pine should definitely be conditioned beforehand.

Step Three, Staining:  To stain this piece, I used a staining pad and Minwax Gel Stain in Walnut.  I truly madly deeply love this stuff.  The gel formula is thicker, unlike regular stain, so you don’t need a brush, and it doesn’t drip.  I recently used it to re-stain my entire two story oak staircase (reveal coming soon).  How convenient is it to be able to stain upside down without drips?  Brilliant !

The imperfections in the dinged up dresser soaked up this stain and were transformed into those ‘distress’ marks you’d pay so much for at a top retailer.  This gel stain buries itself in the ridges, and translates into deep character, just like a glaze on painted wood.  One caveat: this gel product dries a bit more quickly, so you must work fast to get your stain strokes right.  And don’t forget to wear gloves, cause this stain really stains !

Step Four, Reapply:  If you desire added depth from your stain product, then reapply a second coat 24 hours later.  Here’s what two out of three drawers looked like after just one coat (I applied two coats).

Step Five, Protectant:  If you’ve used a regular liquid stain product, then you will probably need to apply a polyurethane to protect your piece. I’ve used Minwax Wipe-On Poly with success in the past on several projects.   However, this gel based stain gave my piece such a nice glow that I didn’t find it necessary to add poly this time.

You can see how the ‘Before’ piece had a washed out honey color, plenty of dinks, and old-fashioned hardware.  Just by staining the piece and adding new oil-rubbed bronze hardware from Home Depot ($12 for a set of ten), the dresser now looks like something out of a new furniture collection.

So now I need your input, playing a bit of multiple choice.

I played around with a few preliminary vignettes, and I have a favorite, but I’d appreciate your vote.  You’ll notice the flea market silver pitcher remains a constant.  I love fresh flowers in the foyer, so it stays.  And you’ll notice that a white ceramic bust makes an appearance (antique store find).   Your opinions please.

A) Botanical Print with bust and clock

B) Paris Print with bust and clock

C) Silver Candlestick with bust and clock

D) Wedding Print with pair of busts

So friends, give it to me straight.

Which scene do you prefer ?

Tags: , ,

160 Responses to “Thrift Store Highboy: Elegant UpDo”

1. Bronwyn says:

I have been loving reading all your do-it-yourself projects – and this is one of the best! I vote for the wedding photo with 2 busts – I love the way they are looking at each and how the smaller frame echoes the larger mirror frame.

2. Kimberly says:

I love the wedding picture scene! Great work on your foyer!

3. Evy says:

I, too, love the wedding picture scene. The whole thing looks amazing!

4. Suzan says:

Wedding photo scene is perfect! BTW, I have an old dresser that was my grandmother's. It desperately needs hardware. Any interest in selling the stuff you took off your new highboy? Please let me know!!

5. A Touch of Country says:

Such hard choices but I would say B

I love how you transformed the chest. It looks marvelous!

6. Niki says:

I love the wedding one too, closely followed by the Paris one. Love your blog. I just picked up a table at goodwill for 26 bucks. Can't wait to do it up.

7. Anonymous says:

great re-do. can't wait to see your stairway. i vote for the wedding picture also.

8. Mrs. Foot says:

Paris or wedding picture gets my vote.

I like the added height of a picture frame, but the (gorgeous) botanical fights the flowers for "color power". All white flowers in your pitcher would look great with the botanical, but I like bright flowers with a simple black and white picture.

9. Kathi says:

Gorgeous transformation! Love what you did with the mirror too! I would have never thought of using craft paint. Love this!

10. southerninspiration says:

Yes, i agree that the wedding pic is the best and then the Paris print. I do love Paris prints and have many myself!!! Love the frame of the wedding print! Your project gets an 11 in a 1 to 10 scale!! LOVE it!

suzanne

11. Melanie says:

I can't belive you did that so fast. It took me about the same amount of time to do just my tabletop WITH and electric sander. I had the biggest problems with the gel stain too. It looks incredible though! What an amazing transformation.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I like the botanical print.

12. Astrid says:

WOW!

Beautiful transformation! I can't wait to see your staircase project.

I have to agree with others- I prefer the wedding one myself; followed by the Paris print.

13. melissa says:

I love you for this tutorial and it just looks fantastic. I've been considering staining the beams in my family room. And $35?? What a score! Minwax gel stain is going on my list for sure. Oh, and I'm loving the last look the best~the wedding picture one.

14. MrsRoy says:

I'm going to go against the stream here and vote for the candlestick one. I like how everything is low, allowing more use of the mirror for people coming in/going out of your foyer. But the wedding photo and Paris print ones are lovely as well. :) That dresser looks GORGEOUS!! Great job.

15. sharae says:

Beautiful, Love it…

I like the wedding picture best, but keep them all on hand, you might want to change it up! LOVE it all.

16. Grits414 says:

Wonderful find and great transformation, as always! I like option B the best. And love the mirror now too!

17. Tina says:

I like the candlestick one as well, but I'm a real sucker for artsy wedding photos. And that one is fabulous! So wedding photo and two busts it is…

Love this dresser redo.

18. Morgan says:

Scene D for sure!

19. Lisa S. says:

Kate….. Totally loving the last option. 2 busts with sassy jewelry and wedding pick! You and your husband built your home, your guests should be greeted with a representation of that… And how whimsical, yet classy!

Good show as usual!

20. Liberty :) says:

i like the wedding photo with busys!! :) really love your mirror! i love how you say your foyer is "only 10ft" – my biggest room is that wide and my foyer is 4ft by 3ft! Can't do a damn thing with it!! :)

21. Liberty :) says:

busys = busts! terrible typo sorry!!

22. The Traveling Turtle says:

fabulous redo! I had no idea they made a gel wax. I may have a new hobby! :)

I vote for option D. BY FAR my favorite.

23. mrso' says:

great job! i like d, with the wedding picture.

24. Lindsay says:

Love the wedding picture! The Paris print is nice too! Thanks for the refinishing tutorial!

25. Monica the Bride says:

I like D the best- it looks cohesive and it really pulls it all together nicely.

26. Monica the Bride says:

Question- did you seriously just use craft paint on the frame of the mirror? Did you have to do a ton of coats or anything?

27. Jamie says:

Definitely option D. SOmething about having a wedding photo in the front foyer at the entrace of your home makes it seem like a home. It shows a united front. Plus your photo isn't to obviously weddingy so it is pleasanty subtle. Love it! Plus the busts make you laugh so that is a great thing to feel when entering your home. Lovely! I cant wait to try refinishing a few of my own wood peices.

28. Pam says:

Definitely D! Not only do I prefer the size of the frame against the mirror over the others, but it's so very personal. Gotta love that!

This post was great. I learned a couple of things that I hadn't heard before. Thank you!

29. Beth says:

D is by far the best option. You are AMAZING girlfriend! The transformation of your high boy is beautiful. Thanks again for taking the time to teach the rest of us how to do it ourselves. Love it!

30. Amy {The Red Chair Blig} says:

Fabulous transformation! I vote for "D", the wedding photo & busts that make you smile, hands down!

31. Melissa says:

Wowza! You're really inspirational when it comes to trash-to-treasure makeovers. I love the wedding photo with the busts. Cute.

32. Haute Decor Gal says:

Absolutely DEFINITELY, for sure, the wedding picture so option (D). I think it's the most personal touch than all the rest and the frame looks great with the mirror!

33. Amanda says:

D – wedding print!

34. kahlanne says:

I prefer the wedding picture as well mostly because it is something personal. The busts are just so terrific! Love the high boy as well. Fabulous job.

35. TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo says:

Hi Kate.
    I know this isn't terribly helpfuly, but I would go with C or D. Both are great, although I assume you love D judging by the extra shot in the bottom there.
    That highboy is amazing! It's so beautiful, and you're right. It's absolutely worthy of Drexel Heritage or Ethan Allen.
    *Tricia

36. Petit Debutant says:

I love the transformation! and i love B and C

37. Amber says:

Great job on the highboy. It looks fantastic!

My vote is definitely D!!! So cute.

38. Laurel @ Ducks in a Row says:

I love the wedding picture with the busts! What a great job – again. Do you get sick of me commenting about how awesome you are?

39. Mrs. Limestone says:

Fabulous makeover! I need to do the same with my table so this gives me some inspiration.

40. Blue Castle says:

I just found you today via Kimba and I'm so glad!

I love your highboy. You did a really great job. It really does look like a piece from Ethan Allan.

Thank you for the tutorial, also. Such a big help. :)

41. marty39 says:

The chest is gorgeous with the darker stain and the enw knobs. So beautiful. I love all the vignettes, but I really liked the candelabra. I like the look of silver with the mirror. Hugs, Marty

42. Mrs. K. says:

the last one for sure!

43. ...love Maegan says:

Amazing! So much better than buying a new one. ..so much better!

44. Lindy says:

Wow! I am so envious. That looks absolutely amazing! The wedding photo or Paris gets my vote!

45. Anonymous says:

I am a NEW lover of your blog – have READ EVERY SINGLE OLD POST – you are TRULY an inspiration to me – WHERE is the silver clock from?
    THANKS-
    nicole~

46. thekettrickfive says:

gorgeous!!!

47. Amanda-TheEckLife says:

AHHH! I love your stuff! you truly are one of the BEST decorating blogs out there! I like the wedding print OR the Paris print. and I am sooo gonna try that Gel stain- I used the regular stain and it just takes too many coats & drips-drives me batty! Cant wait to see your stair railings- I want to re-do mine sooo bad- they are that peachy, pale oak color-blech!!

48. Jamie says:

Wedding scene for sure!

49. Christy says:

Gorgeous transformation on the dresser! The wedding print is perfect. The right size and scale, and the right finish on the frame. PERFECT!

50. Rebekah says:

I vote D. Great work on the highboy! It's gorgeous.

51. Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality says:

Kate, you've done it again! What a fantastic piece that is. I have used gel stain, but not in the same way. That piece DOES look SO high end now, great job. I'm gonna vote for B, with the Paris print, don't know why, I just like it. Don't forget to get back to me on guest posting at my blog. ;)

52. *claire* says:

Great job!! I'm always amazed at how many items you transform – I can't manage to get 1 done within a month! I like option B :)

53. Your cool friend Cheryl says:

The IKEA botanical because I've got the same one!!

54. Helen says:

great re-do! my vote is for option D

55. Magpie says:

The updo is b-e-a-u-tiful! The jealousy is practically seeping out of my pores. How embarassing!

56. Colleen says:

I like the wedding scene, but I think the small silver cup could go. It doesn't add much to the scene, unless you stick some flowers in that too.

Also, that mirror is gorgeous! When you painted it, did you dilute the paint at all? It seems like some of the gold still shows through so I was wondering.

57. Leslie says:

I like D best :)

58. pk @ room remix says:

A is my fav and B is next in line. Love the makeover!

59. Zom! says:

A! Botanical print. It Pops the color in the real flowers. Yiu are so inspiring! Do yu have any reservations about the chemicals in all those minwax products?

60. Carolina Girl says:

I can't believe how great the highboy looks. I need to pay some better attention at my local thrift store.

61. The Taylors says:

I like c. Because I don't think you should hide that beautiful mirror. I also would remove the clock just because I always feel things are displayed better in odd numbers. Great job on the dresser. You are always an inspiration!

62. Bree Photography says:

I say definitely option D. I think it has the perfect mixture of white, metal, and wood. I love that it subtly shows off your personality with the heads and has a wedding picture (is that your wedding?). The frame styles compliment each other too. Love it!!

Also, I am about kicking myself for not grabbing a crazy cheap silver pitcher at the Goodwill a couple days ago. I saw it and loved it but told myself I didn't "need" it….well after seeing yours with the flowers in it…I obviously need it! haha! :)

Thanks for all your tutorials!

63. Micaela says:

I prefer the wedding picture, but I would put a black mat on it instead of white. It would make the picture stand out more and bring out the darker distressed areas on the dresser.

64. Erin says:

I actually like D the best. Although you may want to put the necklace away when entertaining (I've heard those Northern Californians can't be trusted).

65. Diane says:

D_ the wedding picture print, vase and two busts. I think it's formal enough, but has that pop of personality because you added the necklace to the one bust.

66. mommynoodles says:

Great job! I would have to say "c",that one really jumped at me! Maybe b/c I love that candlestick and that the mirror is not blocked!
    Have a "BLESSED" week! Natalie,

67. goldlineevents says:

Gorgeous! My vote is for either the botanical print/clock/bust set-up, or the wedding photo/2-bust vignette. I'm a sucker for beautiful, personal wedding prints incorporated into decor.

68. Suzanne says:

I like the one without the prints. Just the clock, the candlesticks and the bust. But they all look nice.

69. Jenny says:

Beautiful! I really like the wedding photo set up. When I saw it in the first picture, I thought it was awesome!

70. Re:Fresh Design Studio says:

The one with the wedding photo is my favorite! The dresser looks beautiful! I've been stripping the stain off an old rocker this week and it is much harder than I thought! I am sore!

71. Amy says:

The Paris photo, for sure.

72. Jen says:

Lovely – PARIS!

73. Jro says:

The one with the wedding pic for sure. Do you do all the prep work indoors or do you have a workspace where most of the sanding, etc gets done? Fabulous work!

74. Stephanie says:

Oh, you are so brave to try a refinish. I need to get over the fear and just go for it!
    My vote is for the Parisian print.

75. Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

GREAT makeover!!! :) That highboy must be grateful to you. ;)

I vote for the wedding scene OR the silver candlestick. :)

76. Quite Contrary says:

I like D the best. I seem to have a prejudice against empty candlestick holders. The necklace on the bust cracks me up.

77. Ann and Billy says:

You did a wonderful job transforming that chest and as much as I love all the painted furniture out there I'm glad to see some stained wood. I have quite a few pieces that my dad built or refinished in my house and I think he would roll over in his grave if I were to paint them.

78. Rebecca says:

I would go with B or D. The fun thing is you don't have to pick one and stick with it. You can always mix it up!

79. Marge says:

I love D. You do such fantastic projects– I can't wait for the humidity to die down a bit so that I can work on many of the pieces I've been collecting after being inspired by you!

80. Beverly says:

I vote for C–but then I'm a sucker for candleholders. You've done it again! Taken a sow's ear and turned it into a silk purse. Think this would work on veneer? I have a desk I'm looking at redoing.

81. Holly says:

I recently found your blog and am very impressed! I have an award for you at my blog :)

82. VALERIE says:

I'm all about D.

Well done!

83. In Wonderland says:

My choose B. I love the colors in the Paris print with the mirror and clock. Beautiful!

84. 3XMom says:

these are so awesome! I vote for c

85. Linda says:

Definitely the wedding pic with the "his and hers" busts – (the Eiffel Tower would be a second choice). Love the dresser, in fact I love your blog and just became a follower. Thanks for all the GREAT tips and "how to's" – you make it so easy for others to follow your directions. Linda

86. Kara says:

Thanks so much for the tip about using gel stain. Your dresser turned out just stunning!

All the arrangements are beautiful, but my favorite is the wedding pic with the 2 busts.

87. Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

Oh my goodness…i am LOVING your site! i just came over from ASPLT and am hooked (new follower). In fact, I can't seem to break away, there is so much fabulousness to behold. You are one talented lady! The metallic paint over the gold is amazing. I have sooooooo much gold stuff waiting to be transformed, and now I know exactly with what. Thank you!

~Amanda

p.s. My vote is either C. or D….both are beautiful!

88. Mandy says:

My vote is for D absolutely! Love the wedding print and two busts. Perfect! I have so many projects around my house- you give me inspiration every day!

89. Kristi says:

I like D…and I think you do too! :0)

90. L.Duncan says:

I love the wedding photo with the two busts. Wish I had your kind of goodwill in my area!

91. Natalie H. says:

I vote wedding! and I need my own busts. I've been trying to convince my husband that they're manly enough for his study. the 'after' mirror frame is perfect!

92. callipygianchronicle says:

I like the balance and scale of B, with warmth and whimsy of D. D is a bit out of scale, and B feels a bit cold.

93. aahcoffee says:

Love the wedding one!

94. Julia says:

I love the Paris print with the one bust. Less busy, but seriously romantic and pretty. I'd like the wedding one if the shot were bigger and in the print frame…

95. Melissa says:

B, B, and B – do I get 3 votes? It's very balanced and I think it looks like it came right out of a decor magazine. Seriously I love B!

I have a dresser from my hubby's grandmother that looks exactly like this and you've inspired me to make it a piece I want to keep not just a piece I must keep. Thanks!

96. Me & My House says:

This is so awesome, girl! I haven't dipped into staining just yet. But this is such a great tutorial, I just may have to stop painting altogether! LOL! NOT! Anyhow, have a great week and thanks again, for sharing!

97. Me & My House says:

BTW, I like the clock/candleabra set up…

98. Kinzie Sue says:

D all the way!
    Great job on that redo!! GORGEOUS!

99. Nancy says:

Wow…really, I mean WOW! Fantastic job! I vote for the wedding print and pair of busts.

Thanks for the tips and tricks on refinishing!

Nancy

100. Anna See says:

What a gorgeous job! I love the wedding print. Minwax gel stain is a fave at this house, too.