Goblets and Glasses and Ceramics, Oh My

June 30, 2009

It is rare, and I mean rare with a capital R, that I find good glassware at my local Goodwill. Most of what I usually see are those clear uninteresting florist vases or mismatched glasses of mixed variety and low quality. Yesterday was different. Very different. It was like Macy’s unloaded their stock that day. I was delighted bring home a few lovely little gems to add to my collection.

I am a complete sucker for colored glass. My eyes are always drawn to it right away, so when I saw the selections available, I made a bee line for the glassware section.

Check out these foot tall tea light candle holders I picked up for $2 each. They are perfect for adding height to a dining table, and will come in very handy during the holidays when I put candles on just about every surface in my house.

glass tea light holders

Ooooh, I just love that sparkle.

colored glass crop

Then take a look at these colored goblets. This shape is too wonderful, and they are oh so perfect for adding dynamic color to a spring or summer table. They were $1 dollar each !

colored goblets

I also found a fabulous set of martini glasses, perfect for my Martini Book Club. They were also $1 each. Added bonus: I find that martini glasses make the most elegant serving dish for desserts. We have a great group of friends that get together every year for a Murder Mystery Dinner Party, so I can’t wait to serve sorbet in these babies next month ! I’m thinking blackberry sorbet, with garnish. Très chic!

martini glasses

Many of my friends would call this next item the perfect size margarita glass: extra large. But I actually bought it for $3 for serving candies during the holidays. Can you picture it filled with candy corn at Halloween, butterscotches and Thanksgiving, and peppermints at Christmas ? I think I might try etching it, or even painting it, for added flourish.

giant margarita

I subscribe to the theory that decor is always better when complimentary, and not too matchy. I use wine charms all the time to keep guests’ glasses from getting confused, but what I really love about this next set of wine glasses is that they share the same form, yet they are subtly different in their individual pattern. Not that you’d remember which pattern is yours after you’ve had a few glasses of wine. Again, $1 each. Total steal.

multi wine glasses

And you all know how much I adore white ceramics. I found a set of two canisters, one with radishes, and the other with tomatoes, for $5 for the set. I also found a large white ceramic sugar dish in the same theme for $3.

cannisters

sugar dish

Now these lovelies are right at home on the mantle above the range in my kitchen.

white ceramics

That’s what I love about thrift stores. You just never know what delights you’ll find.

Speaking of, I found an amazing mirror at the Goodwill that used to be paired with a dresser from what I can tell, but no longer has its mate. I can’t wait to transform it. It will look so spectacular in my living room, when I’m done with it.

31 Responses to “Goblets and Glasses and Ceramics, Oh My”

1. Suzan says:

Great finds! Can't wait to see what you do with the mirror.

2. Kathi says:

Beautiful finds! I love the blue/green goblets and the pretty wine glasses!

3. Vanessa says:

Lovely!!! I always look throught the glasses isle too. I found a store near by where they sell each glass for only $25 cents! Crazy huh?
    Love the colored glass, it gives some inspiration for my next visit to the thrift shop. Thank you!

4. Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

Fabulous! The colored glass is beautiful. :)

5. Tina says:

What great finds! Total jackpot. Those white ceramics are perfect for your kitchen!

6. Jo says:

What fabulous finds ~ you really made out!

Jo

7. Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam says:

i have that same large "martini" glass. I put silver ball ornaments in it this year for christmas with some beads, and it was so pretty. :)FUN FINDS!!

8. Living With Lindsay says:

Great finds! I'm actually headed to GW today to look for a mirror…and of course will check out everything else while I am there. Hopefully, I'll be as lucky as you! Love those wine glasses that are the same size and shape but have different textures.

9. tales from an oc cottage says:

WOW! My GW is barely worth going to! You really scored!

m ^..^

10. marty39 says:

Love all of the gorgeous glasses. The different patterns and colors are all just wonderful. I also love the beautiful white pieces. You found some real treasures. Hugs, Marty

11. Frugal Fine Living says:

Love your thrift shop finds! Looking forward to seeing the mirror when it's done.

Jane

12. Rachel says:

GREAT finds! I'm totally jealous!

13. Jennie Bender says:

Awesome finds; love the Goodwill. Ours here is quite lacking, but in Ohio–love, love , love Goodwill! Love your tall candle holders, too cute! I have way too much glassware=)

14. Monica the Bride says:

I love your recent finds- especially the tall candle holders! I really never find anything good (in regards to glass) at my local Goodwill, so I am very jealous!

15. Gwen says:

I am a sucker for colored glass too!

16. anhesty says:

omg i am loving your blog! i think i found my new daily read! thanks for sharing!

i am looking at you diy project for bed headboard. i am looking at that style actually for my master bdrm. so maybe i will just make it!

17. Marci @OvercomingBusy says:

Great finds! I love glass, but I've never found the jackpot you just did! Our local mission thrift store had a set of adorable sundae glasses for $2 last week. Who can pass that up?

18. Rebekah says:

Isn't it funny how sometimes there seems to be a flood of a certain thing at Goodwill? I was at my local store yesterday and I have never seen so many couches! Why did so many people decide to donate couches over the weekend? Who knows!

19. Mo..."Mo's Cottage" says:

I love thrift stores…..the thrill of the hunt…
    Hugs,
    Mo ;-)

20. mrosev14 says:

Tres chic indeed! You made out like a bandit there. Rock on. I think the votive holders are a perfect height for a dining room table, and what a magnificent idea about the martini glasses being used for dessert.

You are just super creative little ma'am!! I can't wait to see what transformation you do with that mirror, you are truly an inspiration to me.

21. Jen says:

I esp. love the wine glasses – very different!

22. TroublesomeBoop says:

I love! I am currently collecting various wine and champagne glasses… I heart eclectic tablescapes, and finding pieces at consignment prices only makes it sweeter :)

23. Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful says:

Beautiful finds…and what steals too!

I used your metallic taupe paint trick to soften up some goldy gold accessories in my post today. What a difference..thank you for the idea!

~Amanda

24. Victoria@WhimsybyVictoria says:

I just have to tell you, you have become one of my Favorite blogs! I love reading and looking at every post. Seeing a new post is like getting a little gift everyday! You are just inspirational and creative! These finds are great! I love the hunt of findiing the treasure. So fun!

Hugs to you,
    ~Victoria~

25. G+D says:

Great finds! That white ceramic was meant for your mantle. Beautiful!

26. DiscountSafetyGlasses says:

I had a pleasant surprise visiting http://discountsafetyglasses.com, it had a lot of usefull information concerning this topic.

27. Discount Safety Glasses says:

I like the glaasses. They are very beautifull and exquisite.

28. Discount Optical says:

I remember breaking a set og glasses just like those. I got yelled at a lot.

29. Fashion Eyewear says:

Eyecatching glasses. Filled with wine they will just look awsome

30. bingo halls says:

Bingo halls are places were you can have fun and win some money .

31. […] Mr. CG and I love to decompress at day’s end with a glass of chardonnay or pinot noir at dusk. Recognize my thrift store goblets? […]