Spray Paint: My Best Friend, Your Best Friend

May 6, 2009

For those of you who read my musings, you all know I have a deep and profound crush on spray paint.  I fondly refer to it as my BFF.

I also have an addiction to the garden department at my local Lowes.  It’s about 5,000 square feet of botanical beauty.  Restraining myself, I picked up only two miniature rose trees to add some greenery to my garden kitchen window.  Then I was on my way to look at planters when it dawned on me: perhaps I don’t need a new cachepot if a little spray paint can satisfy.  Holding my breath and crossing my fingers, I dipped my toe into the shallow end of a line of spray paint I have never used before:  paint designed for plastic.  And it worked.

I turned a standard terra cotta colored plastic pot into a ceramic look planter, all with a little spray paint.  And now you can too.

Before and After:

tree before and after

My friends, I cannot begin to tell you how delighted I was with this product.  First, I applied the “soft white” colored paint from Rustoleum, then I hand painted the “taupe” color from Rustoleum in a stripe to the upper ridge and bottom of the plastic pot.  And the whole time I am thinking:  OMG, I am painting plastic – I must be crazy.

paint

paint transformation

taupe stripe

Here’s a close up of the change:

planter before and after

They’re so pretty in my kitchen window:

kitchen from side

rose bush

Upgrade your planters too:

drab to fab

No one will ever know that my planters are plastic.  So let’s just keep this between you, me, and the blogosphere.  Mmm kay?

Tags: , ,

41 Responses to “Spray Paint: My Best Friend, Your Best Friend”

1. SoBella Creations says:

Great job! I’m amazed at how nice things look just by using spray paint.

And I love your nice big window.

2. Yolanda (the callipygian chronicle) says:

I won’t tell a soul. Out of curiosity was the taupe paint also made especially for plastics? Or is that unnecessary since the whole pot was already covered in the spray paint?

3. Vanilla Lavender says:

So beautiful!! Love it!

4. Norma says:

I love the plastic paint it is a $$$ saver! I am currently sing it to paint my home’s window shutters from dark green to black.

5. Centsational Girl says:

Hi Yolanda, yes the taupe paint is also specially for plastic – it is made by Rustoleum.

6. Infarrantly Creative says:

came over for Thrifty Decor Chick…if she likes ya I will love ya. And I do…thanks for the inspiration all over the place.

7. Palatable Picks says:

found you on Thrifty decor…love the stuff you’ve done…I’ve already added you to my reader. What great ideas!

8. Jenny says:

Those are beautiful! Great job!

9. Lorie says:

They look great! I love your blog!

10. HouseMama says:

I’m visiting via Thrifty Decor Chick – what an amazing transformation. I LOVE those roses in the kitchen – wish I had a window like that too.

11. Anna Lindsey Sailer O'Reilly says:

You’re so smart! I think we were destined to be spray paint buddies.

12. Kara says:

Wow, you’re right, they look fabulous! No one would ever guess they are plastic. I ♥ spray paint too, I’ll have to try the plastic kind!

13. A Room With A View says:

What I love is that you never even had to take the tree OUT of the pot to paint it!! You have a cute kitchen…

14. Raja says:

Hello,
    congratulations for your blog and your beautiful ideas.
    your reader, raja.

15. Christine says:

Great idea! And your kitchen is beautiful!!

16. Missie/Crafting with Cat Hair says:

So cute. What a beautiful kitchen window!

17. 3XMom says:

so great! LOVE IT

18. mrso' says:

I love it. I actually spray painted a plastic urn I found at home depot this past weekend. I am also a spray paint addict lol.

19. Nikki says:

I can’t find white planters anywhere, so I think I’m going to have to do this.

20. Erin says:

Truly lovely.

21. southern daze says:

What a fantastic idea! They turned out great!!

22. The Masked Mommy says:

Your blog is absolutely amazing! I love it here! Such cute ideas! Your cherry tree is my favorite post :-) although I loved your green bench, too!

23. Rachel says:

WOW! Thanks for taking the leap of faith, now we all can too!!

24. Anonymous says:

Love your window, love the mini rose plants, and love the great spray painting idea. I’m going to have to copy you, I fear, but I will definitely give you credit when the compliments start rolling in.

jbhat

25. Christina says:

I am absolutely loving your blog. Those pots look fantastic in you kitchen window. Spray paint is the most wonderful thing.

26. Anonymous says:

You really are quite clever. That would NEVER have occurred to me to try.

27. Chris says:

I am so envious of you for having such a gorgeous window over your sink. I have a window, but it’s not THAT window! ;) Looks beautiful with those pots!

28. Cathy says:

Wow those plants look beautiful in that window setting! I work for RO and came across your blog. Fabulous!! Thanks!

29. Janis@An Inspired Life says:

Great job making those plastic planters look chic…….now I’m feeling the need to spray something.

30. Emilee says:

So, did you spray the “taupe” into the container and then paint it on by hand? Or was it regular paint?

31. Carla says:

I’m a big fan of spray paint too. Your planters look great. I love your kitchen window.
    I just recently found your blog but felt like I needed to pass an award your way. I love your style!

32. Courtney says:

Oh my gosh, that picture of your kitchen makes me want to swoon…

33. Jennifer Ramos says:

I've always loved this idea…now if I can only get my potted plants to stay ALIVE. Do you have any idea which plants you have had luck with,…in pots?
    Most of the time mine die…

Jen Ramos
    'Cards & Prints You'll Love…'
    madebygirl.blogspot.com-

34. Kim says:

Those look great. I’m a big fan of spray paint, but now I’m definitely going to have to try to plastic spray paint.

PS – Those flowers are DIVINE.

35. Stephanie says:

I just ran across this old post this morning as I was “researching” painting techniques … and I’m curious – after almost a year – how is the painted plastic holding up? Does it still look good? Flaky?

36. Hi! I just found your blog, and after reading some of your spray paint posts, I feel like you are my BFF too….cause we have a BFF in common…Spray Paint!
    I LOVE spray paint, too, and frankly I just don’t have the patience for other paints.
    I am your newest follower. Come stop by anytime…

37. [...] the frosted version here and here, the chalkboard version here and here, and the plastic version here and here, all with great success.   I’ve used the high heat (brush on) here and [...]

38. JJ says:

Hi there- I have a question related to spray paint. I spray painted a candlestick that was metal with white spray paint, however the paint texture is grainy not a smooth ceramic-y finish which is what I was going for! What did I do wrong?!?! Any tips?

39. amber says:

I can not believe!!! How much does that spray paint cost! obviously worth it. Anyway. that picture of your kitchen looks like it belongs in a friggin magazine!! SOOO beautiful :)

40. Jenn says:

I have some frames that are plastic I want to spray paint they were my Grandma`s so I do not want to destroy them, I have spray painted many metal things but not plastic so any tips.

41. trinity says:

I came across this post today looking at furniture projects. I have never spray painted wood!
    However, I had several of those cat litter buckets that you can’t recycle and they are way too sturdy to toss. I used the type for plastic and spray painted some dark green to use for lawn chores and garage storage. I felt dumb to spend all that money for cat litter buckets but the paint is holding up great and they are indeed very useful.