DIY: Jeweled Planters

May 28, 2009

It’s my belief that ordinary objects can transform into something quite glamorous with some thoughtful accessories.  So why not give your flowers a bit of glitz as well?  Your blooms work hard to give you a show, so give them the gift of their own jewelry.  Glass marble jewelry, that is.

This planter makes a gorgeous statement, on a wedding table, surrounding your orchids, or adding glamour to your outdoor table.

How to Make a Jeweled Planter:

Supplies:

1. Inexpensive terra cotta planter(s)
  2. Outdoor spray paint
  3. Glass marbles (with flat side) from craft store
  4. Silicone rubber sealant or epoxy glue from hardware store

Step One:  Spray paint your terra cotta planters with some outdoor spray paint and allow to dry.  I use a beautiful shade of cream by Rustoleum called ‘Heirloom White’.

Step Two: Attach your glass marbles with silicone rubber sealant.  This product is waterproof and will withstand outdoor abuse.

Silicone sealant takes about 24 hours to cure, but after that, your ‘jewels’ will stay on regardless of moisture.

This DIY project makes your planters look like they’re wearing jewelry!

17 Responses to “DIY: Jeweled Planters”

1. Rose - The Center of My Self says:

Beautiful! I love sparkly! Love lemonade, too. Looks so festive in your “fancy glasses.” That’s a great base color you used for the pot and saucer and a great tip to use silicone sealant; I would’ve probably tried the hot glue and then given up. You’re so helpful! Have a fun trip!

2. Vanilla Lavender says:

They look so glamurous! What a brilliant idea! Thanks for the advice about hot glueing the stones. That’s very helpful. :) Vanessa

3. Anna Lindsey Sailer O'Reilly says:

You’re so smart.

4. Katie says:

What a great use for some inexpensive products!! And I agree that te lemonade looks yummy!!

5. Sherrie says:

I love the pots being white with just a touch of color!
    ~Sherrie

6. Miss(ing) Shakespeare says:

Oooooh love love love! I was wondering how the hecks I was going to pretty-up my tomato planter, since it already has a sizeable tomato plant growing in it. It definitely needs to be bedazzled. ;)

And thanks for the tips for kitty! ^_^ Museum putty is a great idea. And we already have a spray bottle – and we don’t even use the mist setting. It’s on full blast, but she’s a bit of a slow learner. Or just stubborn. Yeah. Have fun this weekend!

7. Amanda @ Serenity Now says:

Oh, my heart! ;) I love this project…I could do this!!! :)

8. [email protected] says:

Yay, this is PERFECT for me! My beta died earlier this year (after a long and I’d like to think happy life) and this weekend I pulled his flat marble filled tank out of the garage during a cleaning spree. I knew I wanted to use them in the garden but that’s a far as I got. This is perfect!

9. High-Heeled Foot in the door says:

Oh what fun! I love this idea and it looks so great on your outdoor table. I’m loving it with that white tablecloth.

Love the new look of the blog. I’ve been a bit behind on my blog reading so I just saw it now, but I LOVE IT!

10. Taylen says:

Simple, yet beautiful…great idea!

11. Kim says:

I’m beginning to think you don’t sleep. You have so many awesome projects.

12. Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com says:

I’ll definitely be linking to this project sometime soon on Dollar Store Crafts!

13. Melissa says:

Another great idea. Love your projects so much that I had to write about it today on my “blogs that I adore” series. Keep the projects coming, I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

14. sarah m says:

Thanks for the comment & info on the Adoption Network..I will definitely check it out! And can I just say again how much I LOVE your blog?! Your creativity and resourcefulness AMAZE me. I made some of these jeweled planters this weekend…so simple but such a nice touch!

15. Mrs. Querido says:

I stumbled onto your blog via Kimba's blog. Wow! I love the DIY projects you have here..you are so creative! And what I really love is that you do this on a real person's budget! :)

These planters are so fabulous!

I love your blog and it will be another daily read of mine :)

16. Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com says:

I'm linking on Dollar Store Crafts June 29!

17. Nancy says:

I use the bottom of a planter today with my 7 yr old granddaughter we made jeweled bird baths. She plans to enter it in the fair.