Eye Candy… and Some Ideas

April 27, 2009

On the morning of the last Sunday in April, you will always catch me singing in the shower and doing a happy dance in my bathrobe. Why? Why it’s the annual Antique Fair, of course! Two blocks of antiques, salvage, and vintage finds on display a mere mile from my house = CG’s drug of choice. Vendors from all over the California Bay Area come to sell their wares, and Mr. CG knows it’s his day to watch the children, cause I’m going treasure hunting.

How about these ideas ?

Make a one-of-a-kind chalkboard by adding chalkboard paint to an old cabinet door:

reclaimed chalkboard

salvage guy bryan appleton

Create a coat rack out of a salvaged cabinet door or shelf, brackets and vintage knobs:

salvaged coat rack

salvaged coat rack 2

antique shelves

Repurpose antique spoons as cabinet door pulls:

salvage guy spoons

Spray paint an art frame and add a mirror for wall glamour:

white mirrors

Spray paint another art frame and add some wire netting to make a jewelry holder:

frame turned jewelry holder

Repaint an old piano bench, and add decorative elements for a new kind of shadow box. A glass top would make this a very whimsical end table:

piano bench turned shadow box

Paint a bucket, drill some holes in the bottom, and then add some flowers:

reclaimed painted bucket

Make a planter out of, well, anything :

planters

Remake vintage tea towels into aprons and little girls dresses:

tea towel dresses

Make a trendy “trailer park” with salvaged finds:

trailer birdhouses

Create a coat rack out of an old iron post, some brackets, and vintage knobs:

salvage guy 3

Make a potting bench with parts from an old fence, reclaimed wood, and a cutout for an antique bowl (this local artisan was featured in Sunset magazine):

potting benches

Hand paint a piece of coral with your color of choice:

hand painted coral

Recover a chair seat with a coffee bean sack:

coffee sack chair

Decoupage (or just plain glue) scrapbook music notes paper to inexpensive craft store letters:

found letters

Don’t be bashful when choosing a color to repaint vintage furniture:

green furniture

green furniture 2

Hop on the succulents bandwagon (these are all the rage in CA):

succulents

Cover anything, not just tender plants, with a cloche:

cloiche

With specialty paint for glass, make your own sign with French flair, and you’ll end up in the Pottery Barn Teen catalog like this vendor – can you spot the sign?

glass french sign

pb teen seersucker room

If I had a few thousand dollars, or a very wealthy client, I’d have purchased these beauties:

white armoire

french white nightstands

french chairs

dresser

classic pieces

blue desks and lamps

chandelier

white cabinet

nightstands

green table

blue consoles 2

What did I buy ?

For less than $100, I will add serious decor to a ceiling, a corner, and a wall.

Tune in tomorrow !

13 Responses to “Eye Candy… and Some Ideas”

1. A Touch of Country says:

I would have never thought of the tea spoons turned cabinet pulls, how clever!

I also love the piano bench turned treasure box.

Thanks for the great ideas!

2. Juliet says:

What a dreamy day you must have had! Great ideas, terrific treasures! I’ll be back tomorrow to see what you bought.

3. Missie/Crafting with Cat Hair says:

I love the sheet music letters and piano bench. Great crafty ideas!

4. Karen says:

What a fun day! Love the little blue desk with the low back chair! Looking forward to seeing what treasures came home with you and how you are going to dazzle us with their transformation! :>

5. Jen says:

Looks like you had fun! I love turning the old linens into aprons and children’s dresses – what a great idea (mentally filing that away in my WAHM idea file…)

6. nameisgrace says:

you are awesome!!! i love your ideas. would love some feedback on my twin chairs that i scored off craigslist. i would love to incorporate nail head trim, but not sure if it’ll work. hope to hear from you! you are soo creative and talented! xoxo grace

7. Kristina with a K says:

I think you and I were separated at birth. Poking around in other people’s stuff is my heaven. Great ideas! Oh, and the bird trailer park is awesome. Completely appropriate for where I live.

8. tarheel says:

I love alll the French furniture, too. Don’t you just love a flea market?!

9. Cacey says:

How would you spray paint the vintage picture frame to make it look like the one that is being used to hold jewelry? It looks antiqued. I have a gold frame just like it at home and would love to use it for that.

10. Centsational Girl says:

Hi Cacey,
    I would buy two cans of paint, a pale gray and an off-white. I would spray the gold frame first in gray and completely cover it. Let it dry 24 hours. Then I would mark it up with some candlewax on the edges you want exposed, spray with a thin layer of off-white paint, and wipe away the edges with candlewax where you want the gray to show through. Email me with any more questions. Good luck !

11. PAOLA REYES says:

HI,I LOOVE ALL THIS, CAN U TELL ME WHERE CAN I FOUND THEM OR HOW TO PAINT THE FURNITURE IN THA FRENCH WHITE,,THANKS

12. [...] In fact, I’ve written about the Antique Fair in 2009, with plenty of inspirational pictures, here and [...]

13. I simply love everything in this post! Wish I could have been there. Thanks for sharing this with us.