Girly Chandelier

February 16, 2009

So I was in Home Depot buying a floral themed light fixture in “white” for my daughter’s bedroom. This was during the missing year (2006) when my life was a frenzy during our major home remodel. It was a good deal, on sale, for $49. I never inspected the thing, I just bought it from the picture on the box. Big mistake. To my horror, six months later, when I finally opened the box to install it, the chandelier was not white. It was the color of pee. Ewww.

No receipt for return? No problem. In my mind, the instant cure for such a dilemma is spray paint. Any DIYer must know all about the American Accents collection from Rustoleum. Impressive, I must say, for spray paint. I have about a dozen shades taking up real estate in my garage. But I digress.
I had fallen in love with a girly chandelier from Posh Tots years ago, with flowers all over the shades, and I had to have one that looked like it, just at a fraction of the cost. Here are a few photos of their current offerings. Check out these prices (choke).
Armed with a can of spray paint, I got rid of the horrid original color.  I bought four unadorned lampshades for $7 each from Michaels.  With various silk hydrangeas in differing colors, I hot glued the leaves then the petals to the lampshades.  I added four crystals I found for $1 each.  It now looks like a whimsical take on the high end Posh Tots versions.
When my daughter eventually tires of these frills in a few years, I’ll simply replace the shades with something current.

Chandelier $49

Paint $3
Shades $28
Flowers $12
Crystals $4
Total for Girly Chandelier: $96

6 Responses to “Girly Chandelier”

1. Jadehollow says:

Found you through 320*Sycamore.. You have wonderful inspirational ideas.. Love your daughters room.

2. Vanessa and Kevin says:

I just bought a chandelier at a garage sale with the crystals for $2! I was totally inspired by yours! I'm going to put it in my daughters room. What color spray paint did you use? The one I bought is (gag) gold. Should I prime it, or just go for it with the spray paint?

3. Laura Ingalls Gunn says:

I became a recent follower after discovering we might be kindred spirits. You are just more handy with the power tools.

Anyhoo, it is summer the time when I summon up my best Julie Andrews voice and sing "Let's start at the very beginning…" and peruse the start of favorite blogs.

Let the Centsational Girl journey begin.

4. Bird says:

You are such a genius!!!!

I have been looking around here for about 1 hour now…And I get bored easily! But your stuff is sooo inspiring, I just want to go out now and get some spray paint and do every room in the house!!! Shame we are snowed in….

I am a total “furniture make-over” virgin, I am only crawling and do a few minor mods to thift finds, but when I grow up I want to be just like you :D

Thanks for the ideas!

5. Michelle says:

Absolutely LOVE your blog!! You are amazingly creative! Love the chandelier and I have 2 little girls that would really enjoy something like that. I have always held out hope that some day I would “stumble” on one those vintage wrought iron floral fixtures I always see in magazines but no such luck! I will definitely try this out instead. Just an added thought – was watching a diy show and they actually used glass paint from the craft store to paint/color the chandelier crystals on a lamp they were upcycling…thought I might give that a try too.

6. Samantha says: